PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Honda atc 250R shifter loose

AngusJustice
12-21-2011, 09:39 AM
My 1985 honda atc 250r shifter shaft is loose it slides back and forth about 1/4 inch if i pull it out all the way it goes through all the gears but if i push it in it won't go through the gears is there a e-clip i'm missing somewhere to stop the shaft from moving back and forth. Thanks.

Mosh
12-21-2011, 10:53 AM
There is a pin welded to the shaft on the clutch side that is about 1/4 long. It seats against a boss on the clutch cover to keep it pushed into the case.
is that pin there? Are you sure you have it engaged to the shift drum cogs correctly also?

AngusJustice
12-21-2011, 12:11 PM
I never split the cases just replaced the crank seals. The gears were fine before so I think it must be something simple.

AngusJustice
12-21-2011, 12:26 PM
is it on the gearshift spindle?
and your saying the clutch cover pushes against this to keep it in place.
is it on the picture in the link anywhere?
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1985-honda-atc250r-gearshift-drum/o/m1909sch1603

Mosh
12-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Here is an exact picture of how it should look. Yes the clucth cover pushes on the spindle. Make sure you have the little collar on the shifter drum where the spindle connects to the drum pin too. They fall off alot during repairs.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/Repair/IMG_1248.jpg

AngusJustice
12-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the picture I will check it when i get home I have another motor already ripped apart so I will
look on it to see where everything goes and if I have lost the little collar I will steal it from the other
engine for the meantime.
Thanks.

AngusJustice
01-06-2012, 05:42 PM
OK collar was missing got one on order and what keeps the shifter spindle from moving back and forth (from the end of the shifter spindle to the outside cover there is a space that lets the spindle move back and forth 1/4 inch) am I missing a piece here? Thanks in advance.

Mosh
01-06-2012, 08:20 PM
There should be a aluminum boss casted into the clutch cover for the shift shaft to rest against. That is what keeps the shifter shaft pushed in towards the center case.
So either you have the wrong shift shaft or the clucth cover boss is gouged and not holding the shaft in.

Can you post a pic?

AngusJustice
01-06-2012, 11:58 PM
Here's some pics I have never changed the shifter shaft so I know its stock and the outside case has the boss to keep it in but the shifter shaft still has play when the case is on. I never had this problem before I took it apart so I'm a little stumped. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. 139301139302139303

Mosh
01-07-2012, 11:49 AM
It looks like everything is in order from your pics. The shifter will have a slight in out movement to it once assembled with the cover, but we are talking a few millimeters at most. I wonder if your dowel pins are dirty or rusty and are keeping the clutch cover from going on fully seated during test fitment.?
Once you get that collar try a dry test fit and see how it goes.

Scratt
01-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Mine did the same thing and when I took it apart I pulled my shifter shaft out and the flat piece that goes out from the shaft to where it actually hooks to the little roller which changes the gear was bent. The flat piece wasn't bent much but enough for it to do that.

AngusJustice
01-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Scratt your a life saver my arm was slightly bent and with the new shifter collar in place it only moves about 1-2 mm which is fine. Thanks again to everybody that help find a solution to my problem. CHEERS!