PDA

View Full Version : 85 Big Red 250 ES Starting problems

Daninmin
12-17-2011, 02:06 AM
I bought an 85 Big Red last spring. It was in good shape but the kicker wouldn't always catch. The electric starter would usually work, but sometimes just click. If I rolled the machine forward in gear the electric start would work. Lately all the electric start will do is click. Battery is brand new. Took starter out, took apart, cleaned black dust off with contact cleaner and paper towels. I hooked my battery charger up to the post and touched the ground clamp to the housing. Starter gear quivered a hair, enought for me to know it received some juice, but nothing else. Hooked it up anyway and still the same click. Now when my kicker doesn't engage I depress the kicker about 2-3" and click the electric start, I bring the kicker up and then it will be engaged. I'm thinking that the electric and kickstart problems are completely seperate issues although same result (fail). I probably need a new starter and need to fix the spring in the kickstart. What are you opinions? Is the kickstart problem a tough fix? Is it worthwhile to bring starter to shop and have rebuilt? Maybe get the brush kit and rebuild myself? Or, just buy a new aftermarket starter? Thanks in advance for any advice.

threewheelin-feelin
12-17-2011, 02:37 AM
have you tried tapping the starter lightly with a hammer while clicking it over try tapping the starter relay too? maybe the brushes are sticking...if it makes you feel better ebay has new starters for $50 with free shipping...i have never had tp mess with a kick starter

Daninmin
12-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Yes, back when the starter still worked, the tapping did work. Doesn't do anything for it now. I'll try tapping on the relay.

Thorpe
12-17-2011, 10:18 AM
I have replaced the starter in my ES and SX, with aftermarkets... Rebuild at a shop was almsot double the price of a replacement, and my brush plates and the armatures were shot...

Daninmin
12-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Thorpe, where did you order your starter from and how much? Thanks

userj8670
12-17-2011, 11:32 AM
try your selonoid...

Daninmin
12-17-2011, 11:35 AM
what to try with solenoid. Replacing it, tapping on it, testing it somhow? I would have thought, hooking the battery charger up to the starter when it was out of the machine would have spun it had the starter been o.k.

userj8670
12-17-2011, 03:45 PM
take a plastic handled screw driver and try and start the bike that way. if the starter works then its the solenoid. I just had this problem on my bike. Replaced it and now im back in the game.

tri again
12-17-2011, 04:12 PM
I saw starters on ebay for like 49$ NEW for my 85 es but opted for brush and end plate replacement for 30$.
All the other internals looked marginal but it works. Not easy or fun and really no bragging rights.
What a useless pain. Next time I'll go new for 49$. for sure.

I just got the company name and called them directly.

Of curse you may want to consider the one way clutch and reduction gears on the kicker
as a future project.
It's rare, but they can go bad.
Let me know if the search key doesn't work and I'll see what I can find.