PDA

View Full Version : 200 es emergency help! Asap

CRAZY70MAN
12-12-2011, 09:20 PM
My old faithful up and gave me problems today. Had no problem starting....ran it all day. It was sitting and then BAM"""""" no spark?? Checked the wiring and messed with the CDI and got spark. Now I have a bad miss and it wont idle?? I have had the cdi's take a sheet but never one that will still run the trike??? Anyone?? Usually they go and no spark at all????? I cleaned the entire ignition......plates, rotor, etc.......no diference. No shorted wires at this poin, new plug. I even took the carb off and cleaned it for a longshot...........CDI?????? Gotta get it running....plow trike and goin hunting this weekend!! Help If anyone has a 969 cdi I will take it just to rule it out. Thanks PM me if you got one asap asap

12-12-2011, 09:30 PM
was it sitting all day or for a few minutes to get something? Also did you check the spark plug also if it is missing and it wont idle that sounds like a carb issue.

CRAZY70MAN
12-12-2011, 09:48 PM
not the carb. New plug, new wire. Starts right up.....has a miss...won't idle. Airbox tight, filter clean. Sat for 3 hours.

tri again
12-12-2011, 10:21 PM
sorry mang
I had one that had a bad/intermittent ground in the kill switch which may also be the ground FOR the CDI "TO" run.

I went blind reading the wire diagrams for that piece of trivia.

You've given so much great advice but I know it's a killer when it happens to us.
Remember nipping the last tiny bit off yer plug wire trick? so it has fresh plug wire to bite to?
Sometimes makes all the difference in the world.
semi burnt resistor plug cap?
I just unscrewed mine and shoved a piece of real copper wire in there and wrapped it around the plug,
which is now I figured mine out for THAT particular psycho intermittent spark fiasco.
What is the most common failure symptom of a cdi? Intermittent?

I think you've told ME about checking grounds.
neutral or reverse safety switches getting funky? and trying to kill your ride?

I'll keep thinking, but you Do have all my sympathy.
We need ours to run this time of year more than any other too.

compression good?
valve adjuster come loose?

you sure it's intermittent spark?
Makes me want to find some neon see thru light up plug wires.
Best of luck.
NO joke.

This is serious biz, I know..power out / storms...we NEED these things.

bcredneck
12-12-2011, 11:29 PM
sounds like the stator is quiting the core is steel and the pull start lets water get to it they dont go all a once but its problely already game over for yours i got creative and ran my ignition off my lighting stator but they only run points
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=113047&d=1294197736

tri again
12-12-2011, 11:46 PM
sounds like the stator is quiting the core is steel and the pull start lets water get to it they dont go all a once but its problely already game over for yours i got creative and ran my ignition off my lighting stator but they only run points
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=113047&d=1294197736
I just Love that setup.
I always joked that the lighting coil was a built in 'spare' for the ignition.
Now I have proof.
Thanks

CRAZY70MAN
12-13-2011, 06:45 AM
sorry mang
I had one that had a bad/intermittent ground in the kill switch which may also be the ground FOR the CDI "TO" run.

I went blind reading the wire diagrams for that piece of trivia.

You've given so much great advice but I know it's a killer when it happens to us.
Remember nipping the last tiny bit off yer plug wire trick? so it has fresh plug wire to bite to?
Sometimes makes all the difference in the world.
semi burnt resistor plug cap?
I just unscrewed mine and shoved a piece of real copper wire in there and wrapped it around the plug,
which is now I figured mine out for THAT particular psycho intermittent spark fiasco.
What is the most common failure symptom of a cdi? Intermittent?

I think you've told ME about checking grounds.
neutral or reverse safety switches getting funky? and trying to kill your ride?

I'll keep thinking, but you Do have all my sympathy.
We need ours to run this time of year more than any other too.

compression good?
valve adjuster come loose?

you sure it's intermittent spark?
Makes me want to find some neon see thru light up plug wires.
Best of luck.
NO joke.

This is serious biz, I know..power out / storms...we NEED these things.

Thanks DRjoe. I have tried all of my own advice..lol,,,, Re cut coil and plug ends, 2 brand new plugs, all of the grounds except?? I have not checked the on off switch to see if it may be malfunctioning. Really throwin me for a loop when it will still start...just miss real bad?? At one point I had no spark at all?? I cleaned up ignition, wires and such and still nothing. Now this comes after me using it all day and it sitting for about 2-3 hours. Turn it over and nothing?? Well, as a last chance troubleshoot, I pull the cdi to spray contact cleaner in it,replace and I have spark? But the plug was not dirty. Dont know if it was the movement that may have caused the cdi to work again? All the wires to the cdi appear good also? Gonna try a few more things after work tomorrow. Already got a cdi on the way just in case. I really think it may be the problem. I hope.

tri again
12-13-2011, 04:59 PM
dang!!!!!!!
I just wrote a whole page and it said I wasn't logged in so it got lost.
so...in no particular order and whatever else.

rustdust and clearance of the pickup under the cover that says CDI?
shine up those magnets ever help?
is there an advance plate hidden under that stuff that may be stuck?
errant blob of water in the float bowl sucking drops of misfire?
valve adjuster nut fall off?
cdi plugs can push wires out the back
I have 2 key switches gone funky with the temp drop..gotta wiggle 'em.
Mice rqan into your airbox while it was still warm?
intake boot cracked or loose? aka vacuum leak?

Gotta run but will check back a little later.
Mine even psssssed me off when it finally DID start and run right.
'cause I had no idea what it WAS.

yeah, methinks the cdi get it's ground TO run from the kill switch 'circuit'
as well as deadground to kill it.
Went blind tracing the diagrams for that useless piece of trivia.

big specht
12-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Check for loose terminals in the cdi plug we bought one that didn't run and that was all that was wrong with it

atctim
12-13-2011, 05:27 PM
before you go too crazy, how's the gas in the old girl? Old or fresh? Any chance water got in there?

Also - I need some advice from you on installing a karaoke machine up to a 200ES for trail sing alongs. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

CRAZY70MAN
12-13-2011, 05:33 PM
before you go too crazy, how's the gas in the old girl? Old or fresh? Any chance water got in there?

Also - I need some advice from you on installing a karaoke machine up to a 200ES for trail sing alongs. Any help would be greatly appreciated! lol.....good fresh gas just yesterday Tim. 5 have a cigarette outlet we could use on the big red....small generator on the rear rack?..15 inch tv?? lol..... You want Kokie at Icefest?? Good to hear from ya..... Pimp my trike!!

bcredneck
12-13-2011, 05:45 PM
I just Love that setup.
I always joked that the lighting coil was a built in 'spare' for the ignition.
Now I have proof.
Thanks
penticion honda said $150 for a stator i said ya right i got a cheaper plan

stevensj13
12-14-2011, 01:11 PM
I would really like to learn to run ignition off a lighting stator LOL

falloutboy
12-15-2011, 02:04 AM
Any luck with this?

Have you looked at the flywheel? I had a 200x with the 200s engine that sheared the flywheel key. It would still run, but poorly....

bcredneck
12-15-2011, 02:22 AM
thats because your pulser coil that controls timing is on th cam shaft as longas your flywheel spins fast enough to make power you got spark but i bet my ass it acted like a rev limiter becaues it didnt have enough power at high seed to run the motor since it was most likely slipping

tri again
12-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Am I going blind? or getting hopefully delusional.

Crazy70? did I see you post that it started running normally for no particular reason?

I just had a thought on my f150 computer.
Bad capacitor that would 'heal' itself and work occasionally.

I wonder if there's a capacitor in the cdi or somewhere else.?

We all need to know what the answer to this puzzle is.

How's it going so far?

CRAZY70MAN
12-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Still acting up?? It started fine........then ran 2-3 minutes and died.......no spark?? I changed the coil and it fired but is still running like it was with the other coil?? I am taking my wifes 250sx deer hunting this weekend just in case. CDI should be here friday. I am gonna try it first, then pull the flywheel if that does not work. It has a almost constant here and there miss when idling and when you hold it 1/2 open it has a very noticable miss. I will keep ya updated...I need to check some voltage readand ohm test some things. Get at it next week.

tri again
12-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Still acting up?? It started fine........then ran 2-3 minutes and died.......no spark?? I changed the coil and it fired but is still running like it was with the other coil?? I am taking my wifes 250sx deer hunting this weekend just in case. CDI should be here friday. I am gonna try it first, then pull the flywheel if that does not work. It has a almost constant here and there miss when idling and when you hold it 1/2 open it has a very noticable miss. I will keep ya updated...I need to check some voltage readand ohm test some things. Get at it next week.

Ashamed to admit it but I had one just like that.
Also had the luxury of a good running, bulletproof dependable 200es sitting right next to it.
Swapping KNOWN working parts, coil, cdi etc etc didn't help.

Then an ex military kid with an asparagus farm came by and wanted all my 200 es stuff,
so I let it all go.

Love those models but never got a real answer and feel like a real (--------)
for giving up on it.

Do those have a timing advance plate that can get stuck?
I forget.
Really wish I knew.

The only other oddity I remember is no or intermittent spark with the starter (spun great)
but great spark with the pull and no battery anywhere near the trike.

Have a great time and try not to get the sx dirty.
;- )

bcredneck
12-16-2011, 03:53 AM
i just finished swaping the pulser coil on my trike after it stoped running right it runs great again try that as far as elecrical parts its cheap

CRAZY70MAN
12-16-2011, 06:45 AM
I may have to give it a whirl somewhere along the lines.

CRAZY70MAN
12-19-2011, 09:42 PM
Update....... put the new CDI in and all is well. Has me a little confused....old cdi would still start it once and a while??? Good for now at least. Ran er' about 2 hours tonight off and on. No issues......haunted CDI????

tri again
12-22-2011, 12:52 AM
Update....... put the new CDI in and all is well. Has me a little confused....old cdi would still start it once and a while??? Good for now at least. Ran er' about 2 hours tonight off and on. No issues......haunted CDI????

Yup, the can shaped capacitors in my f150 computer were leaking
but would 'heal' themselves and work occasionally.
Wonder what types are in the cdi.
Changing the caps was 50 cents as opposed to the hundreds of dollars for a computer.

Dirtcrasher
12-22-2011, 01:42 AM
Unfortunately, CDI's can be a bear to check and they can change based on heat.

All you can do is test all related components and make sure the wiring is spot on/clean/tight.

Coils just make a large voltage from a small one. Just like a transformer. If the coil tests good and has a good tight fit on the plug, it is probably just fine.

If it isn't anything you can test both cold and hot, then unfortunately, you have to become a "parts changer". Which is never a good thing but many people are just satisfied that "it runs!" rather than using a meter and having the satisfaction that YOU KNOW whats dead and or failing............

tri again
12-22-2011, 05:56 AM
Unfortunately, CDI's can be a bear to check and they can change based on heat.

All you can do is test all related components and make sure the wiring is spot on/clean/tight.

Coils just make a large voltage from a small one. Just like a transformer. If the coil tests good and has a good tight fit on the plug, it is probably just fine.

If it isn't anything you can test both cold and hot, then unfortunately, you have to become a "parts changer". Which is never a good thing but many people are just satisfied that "it runs!" rather than using a meter and having the satisfaction that YOU KNOW whats dead and or failing............

x2 DC
I'll heat and cool individual components to look for failure.
It's always nice to know for sure what 'was' wrong.

Sounds like c70man got it, and a hearty congratulations to boot!.
That intermittent stuff is just annoying.

I have one now.
Guess it's my turn, but that's another thread.