PDA

View Full Version : 86 westcoast swinger on an 85 R whats different????

200xranger
12-12-2011, 01:34 PM
i have an 85 R and I have what im told is an 86 style westcoast swinger. what is different between the two? been told carrier and brake mount. will all my other stuff work like axle, swinger bearings, and shock???? also will the twin row carriers work in the swinger. if i gotta buy a new one may as well get a good one.

bkm
12-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Hey I just noticed that you are in St. Louis. I am exactly opposite of your situation. I have a '86 bike with a +4 Westcoast off of an '85. Would you be interested in swapping?

Swinger
12-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Sounds like fate to me!!!

Mr. Clean
12-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Hey I just noticed that you are in St. Louis. I am exactly opposite of your situation. I have a '86 bike with a +4 Westcoast off of an '85. Would you be interested in swapping?

That looks like a +2 not +4. The +2 has one square cut out in the middle support, and two square cut outs in the +4. You interested in +2 for an 86 for your +4, as +2 does not really make any difference duning!

Sorry to hijack the thread. You will need an 86 carrier OEM, dual row whatever, 86 axle, 86 brake caliper mount (not caliper) brake stay, collar for the brake stay that slides on the "nub" on the right side of the swing-arm with a c-clip. I have the parts laying around, but search around and let me know what you are unable to find. Shock is the same, swinger bearings the same. You can run the OEM slider or I like the TM designworks setup but that requires removal of the swinger...which does not look to be a problem based on your pics.

bkm
12-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Yeah I thought it looked shorter, but that does not really matter to me because my bike will be mostly a garage queen, plus I would love to use all of my '86 stuff. If he doesn't want to swap I'll be in touch with you Mike.

200xranger
12-13-2011, 04:29 AM
bkm...mine is a +2. would really like to stay with the +2 as i trail ride mine and i think +4 would be a bit much and i dont think it would fit on my trailer sideways either. the +2 is gonna be tight. just looking for a little length to try to keep the front end down. got a hell of a deal on it earlier this year and had to have it. I appreciate the offer though. on a side note, did you happen to trade a 450r for your banshee? if so that was my sisters boyfriends dads bike. i seen pics of it when you had it up for sale.

Mr. Clean....thanks for the info. was hoping not to have to get a new axle but if i do may as well upgrade lol. im sure i can find what i need without much trouble but thanks for the offer on the parts. thanks for the help

bkm
12-13-2011, 06:41 AM
No problem. Yeah I traded my 450 for the Banshee. He told me that he had a buddy that had a couple of trikes and I wondered if he was on here. Was the swinger on craigslist for $150? If so I missed it by about 5 minutes after you bought it.

200xranger
12-13-2011, 01:34 PM
yep thats me pics of my bikes are in the lets see your toys thread! and yes the swinger was on there. i have bought a few parts from that guy, he does sand drags at st joe. super nice guy. lives in bonne terre but works across from the harley dealer in south county. was a hell of a deal, dont think he knew exactly what he had. the day i bought it there was the exact same one on ebay that went for 475 bucks!!!! didnt you have a 350x also????

bkm
12-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Yeah I sold the X and I'm down to just the two bikes now.

200xranger
12-13-2011, 02:42 PM
right on! hows the banshee been treating ya? i rode it after he built it and its pretty wicked!!!

bkm
12-13-2011, 05:31 PM
Its a beast. I have added the modified shift star and the roller shift lever conversion to it and it shifts like butter now. I'm gonna do some bigger carbs and an extended swinger next and it should be real fun. Its a hand full now with the stock swinger and paddles. It will be a St. Joes a lot more this year.

200xranger
12-14-2011, 04:01 AM
yeah it jumped sideways on dry pavement in 3rd gear on me!!!!! pretty wicked!!!!! let me know when you go ride got a few buddies with banshees and they havent even really rode the 450 you traded to them yet.