PDA

View Full Version : Can't find neutral on 250sx?

MRSOUND
12-12-2011, 09:18 AM
Need some input on as to why you wouldn't be able to find neutral on a 250sx:wondering. Have a chance to pick this up locally at a fair price but don't want to fall into a money pit on repairs. guy says you can feel it shift through all other gears but neutral has been illusive. Anyone had this problem? Possible easy fix? Things to check? Thanks MR

tri again
12-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Neutral should be all the way down.
12345 are all up, right?
I have a few and I'm ashamed to admit I had one with the shifter bent and hanging up on the engine case.
Super simple but I missed it.
Is the shifter loose on the shaft? as in, not getting full throw?
I've heard that reverse adjustment can goof up true neutral.
I have also seen external screen door springs mounted to pull the shifter back up.

Yeah, internal issues are rare but best to avoind unless the price is really right.

Can you get the 'search' key to work?

MRSOUND
12-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Haven't seen It in person yet just a couple of pics and was just told about it over the phone, so I haven't been able to check it out myself. I appreciate the insight though...That's the kinda info I was looking for. I have a 250es And if the shift pattern is the same you are correct with reverse being the only one down. By "search" key do mean on this site?

tri again
12-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Haven't seen It in person yet just a couple of pics and was just told about it over the phone, so I haven't been able to check it out myself. I appreciate the insight though...That's the kinda info I was looking for. I have a 250es And if the shift pattern is the same you are correct with reverse being the only one down. By "search" key do mean on this site?
yupp, search box on this site.
I've heard that a bad reverse cable adjustment can make the trans try to be in forward AND reverse at the same time.
but someone would have had to been fooling with it so it's very rare...as in not a normal failure.

lemmie know if the search function doesn't cooperate and I'll try it too.
MUST get firewood before dark but I'll check back.

could be as simple as a fast idle not letting it shift out of gear.
I'd try rocking it with the engine off and see if it rolls. flipping the shifter as necessary.
but it will only roll one way in gear with the engine off but both ways in neutral., right?
The old 90's had a neutral point on the case to show us where the sift position was,
I forget which way they roll when in gear. Sad that's it been so long since I've loaded one up in the truck., but that's another story.

MRSOUND
12-13-2011, 05:31 PM
Search did work and found some interesting info. Unfortunately it was sold before even got off work:cry:. checked when i got home and add was already removed. Been lucky with picking up some parts trikes but still haven't gotten the "deals" that some on here have been able to produce. Tomorrows another day.Tonight I'm going to check out a TRX 300 for the wife. There goes my 3 wheel budget for a while but trying to get her involved and she wants nothing to do with 3 wheels:rolleyes:. Thanks for the replies DrJoe! I seem to learn a little something every time I log on here