PDA

View Full Version : Big Red Purchase

weidjd
12-03-2011, 12:00 AM
Picked this up tonight.

It runs a little rough, dies when you throttle it up. Any ideas on what to do first for that? He said it has been sitting in the garage not used for while.

Getting a plow for it tomorrow.

Let the fun begin.

Aregistereduser
12-03-2011, 12:05 AM
clean the carb and you oughtta be good to go. make sure the gas tank, and the gas in it is clean.

sweetip2000
12-03-2011, 12:19 AM
Congratulations !! Look inside the tank with a flashlight, look for corrosion. Change the oil.
Dump the gas and put in fresh gas and inline fuel filter, get a new spark plug if needed.
But most of all ride it and have fun. Good luck with your new ride. Looks real nice.

chuckiedog04
12-03-2011, 12:25 AM
check the air filter also. this time of the year mice like to make nests in them.

atc350xer
12-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Change the diff fluid as well!
Looks pretty clean - congrats!

JasonB
12-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Evyones already said it all , change oil, drain old gas, clean the carb if needed, Change the diff oil! Other wise nice purchase and be safe with that plow!

dougspcs
12-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Nice score 'weidjd' and welcome with your fine new machine..the best 1st machine a guy could own, if it is your 1st?

I would suggest a few other things also..while it's still clean you pull the wheels, check, clean and lube the brake pivots and rear drum seal. Same with the front minus the drum seal.

Check all the moving points of the machine and lube them. Foot brake pivot, brake adjusters, hand brake handles and cables, steering and suspension..

Give it the works..it's been 25 years since this unit rolled off the line and most of that stuff is probably pretty dry and tight. Also I like to get a can of electrical safe oil spray like 'rust check' or something like that and spray all the grounds and electrical connectors. This will help with possible corrosion and 'bad ground' related issues like no spark...

Love this machine and she'll love you back by never leaving you stuck on a trail because of some minor preventable issue!!

And it will give you a more complete understanding of the mechanical layout of your machine..

Here is some light bathroom reading for you in case you don't have it..

http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/Manuals/ATC%20manuals/atc250es-85-87servicemanual.pdf

weidjd
12-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Thanks everyone.

It is very clean, was a one owner until the guy I bought purchased at an estate auction. He has had it for five years. And it basically sat in his garage the whole time. I am going to start working on it tomorrow. By lubing up the pivot points do you mean spray lube everything? Yes first big red I have ever had. Cant wait to take it out on the trail or snow.

RIDE-RED 250r
12-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Yes, use a good spray lube like White Lithium grease, or Fluid Film. Don't use a thin lubricant/penetrating oil that will dry up after 2 days....

Fungo Wizard
12-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Where you at in Missouri? Nice machine by the way!!!!

weidjd
12-04-2011, 12:05 AM
Just north of KC. Very nice collection you have.

weidjd
12-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Started working on it today. Good Spark,160(cold) compression. All hoses on carb are junk. Find those at an autoparts store? Anything I need to know about the hoses? Also the airbox tube from the frame is supposed to have the arrow go the box or frame? It look backwards when I took it off.It was not doing its job, much debris in the box. What is a good air filter for these, mine looks like it had some rodents in it. Took the carb off the bike will start cleaning it tomorrow.
Thanks for all the info.

three_wheelin45
12-04-2011, 08:07 PM
((air filter))moose racing is what I mainly use in my rides, but uni is good to ;) get em for like 15-30$

dougspcs
12-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Started working on it today. Good Spark,160(cold) compression. All hoses on carb are junk. Find those at an autoparts store? Anything I need to know about the hoses? Also the airbox tube from the frame is supposed to have the arrow go the box or frame? It look backwards when I took it off.It was not doing its job, much debris in the box. What is a good air filter for these, mine looks like it had some rodents in it. Took the carb off the bike will start cleaning it tomorrow.
Thanks for all the info.

Auto parts stores will carry bulk vac hose, just cut a piece and take it with you to match the size. The arrow points in the direction of air flow..

weidjd
12-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Auto parts stores will carry bulk vac hose, just cut a piece and take it with you to match the size. The arrow points in the direction of air flow..

I guess the hose was on correct then, must not have been hooked up.

Thanks for the info.

dougspcs
12-04-2011, 08:42 PM
I guess the hose was on correct then, must not have been hooked up.

Thanks for the info.

They get stiff when they get old..chances are someone had it off sometime in the past and was too lazy to fit it back because it was stiff...

weidjd
12-04-2011, 11:04 PM
I am going to rebuild the carb myself. Anything I should be aware of before starting? It seems pretty straightforward once I took the carb apart. Also what is the best way to clean the plastic and rubber parts of the bike? Just soap and water?

Thanks

daledozer
12-05-2011, 08:17 AM
When pulling your carb apart, clean the outside of it off first then disassemble. Be careful not to strip anything, screws will be tough to get out, might try soaking in wd40 for an hour or so. Avoid washing your plastic with dish soap, the detergent will fade the color over time, I clean with water and a brush and then go over the whole machine with a rag and wd40 for a shine.

schneed
12-06-2011, 02:00 PM
They get stiff when they get old..chances are someone had it off sometime in the past and was too lazy to fit it back because it was stiff...

I have put the airbox hose from the frame to the airbox (intlet hose) on backwards (maybe cuz lazy!) b/c it seemed to go on better that way, any concerns?

dougspcs
12-06-2011, 04:02 PM
I have put the airbox hose from the frame to the airbox (intlet hose) on backwards (maybe cuz lazy!) b/c it seemed to go on better that way, any concerns?

No, as long as it stay connected..there really isn't a reason the hoses are directional, just for fit reasons.

schneed
12-06-2011, 04:16 PM
No, as long as it stay connected..there really isn't a reason the hoses are directional, just for fit reasons.

Yea thats what I thought too. And if you put it on the "correct" way, the arrow is facing towards the ground so you cant even see it (if my memory serves me right), they should have located the arrow in a different place imo