PDA

View Full Version : What's The Correct Way To Do A Plug Chop?

swampthang
12-02-2011, 11:39 AM
How do you do a plug chop? I've been reading on the web but it seems there are different answers to this question(Must be like what kind of oil do you prefer) I've read that you need to run threw 2nd to 4th flat out then check it, another said top gear wide open for 8-10 seconds:wondering Should I warm the engine with the plug in it im going to test or use a old one to bring the engine up to operating temp?

curtis slawson
12-02-2011, 01:23 PM
ya just warm it up little bit drive down the street then WOT at 3rd gear for a few secs only!! then shut it right off then do a plug check might need to do a few times.

you can use a new plug or used plug

zmpolaristech
12-02-2011, 01:57 PM
First, find a long enough and smooth enough running area that you can pull at least 4 gears to WFO. you should also be on a bit of a grade, heading up hill (just enough so there is always a load on the engine). Get the bike to full running temperature. Install a NEW spark plug. Run your bike to WFO through at least 4 gears, if not all 5 or 6 if you can. As soon as your motor stops pulling in high gear, pull in the clutch and shut her down. Remove the new plug and reinstall the old plug. fire up your bike and head back to the garage. Cut the threaded part of the spark plug off with a hacksaw or cutoff tool so that you can see the bottom of the porcelain clearly. A properly jetted bike with a fresh plug, should have a golden brown ring around the bottom of the porcelain, no more than a mm or 2 up from the bottom. If there isn't a smoke ring at the bottom, a bigger main is needed. If the smoke ring is really dark, or taller than 2mm, a smaller main is needed. This is the ACTUAL PLUG CHOP PROCEDURE, NOT just a guess at a used plug....

cochran
12-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Would anyone have any pics to share of doing this?