PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Z Basket Case ???

match
11-29-2011, 02:37 AM
Hello gang ! Just helped my brother look at and purchase a decent 1992 LT250R Suzuki, and while we were at the guys shop, I noticed he had a 1986 Tri-Z in pieces. He said it belonged to a buddy of his. The story was that he flipped it over in the river one day, drug it out and parked it without draining the oil, etc. The jug is off the motor, and he said it would need a complete bottom end rebuild. He said if his buddy doesn't come get it in a week or so, he needs to get rid of it. If I can get this thing bought on the cheap, would it be worth it ?? Anybody resurrect a basket case Tri-Z ?? Is it even worth doing ? Anyways, what's the Tri-Z parts situation ?? Are bottom end parts hard to get / expensive ? Who's the best source for engine parts ? Sorry for the questions, but I have plenty of experience with ATC 250r's, but none with the Yamahoppers. I'd love to add another 2 stroke three wheeler to the stable. Thanks !

Xowner
11-29-2011, 03:01 AM
There all savable it just comes down to what you have in it and what its gonna cost to get it ridable. Are Tri-z's hard to find in TX? The 6 speed bottom ends are a little bit tuffer to find depending on how long the water has sat in there. You might just need to go threw and replace all the bearings and rebuild the crank. Wont know whats worth without some pictures and doing a little more digging on whats there and what aint!

slaughter
11-29-2011, 03:21 AM
im in the middle of a rebuild myself and have found pretty much everything on ebay for pretty cheap i have even come across a few rebuild engines for under 500 but i guess it all depends on what you want to spend and what you consider worth it

200xranger
11-29-2011, 01:13 PM
i got mine with the motor in a box in pieces due to a crank bearing fail. the top end was on its last bore as well. i got a new resleeved top end set...cylinder piston rings pin gaskets for like 325, all new oem bearings were right at 200, ebay seal kit was 30, rod with rebuild cost was like 140. there were other parts that were missing or broke i had to buy. i replaced pretty much everything but the tranny for around 6-800 bucks. i did the same to my 250r and parts were plentiful for it, not so much for the z

JasonB
11-29-2011, 02:55 PM
Theres always hope with Basket cases! just depends on your skill and patience level. I have seen some serious basket cases brought back to life on here, no reason not to try if you can get the case cheap. Theres a few people on here that have alot of parts laying around too!

Yamaha_Rules69
11-29-2011, 09:47 PM
I bought my Z as a basket case. The rod went through the cases, and left for dead. It sat outiside for at least 15 years. I found a bottom end semi-locally on craigslist for 100 bucks, and replaced the main bearrings and seals right away, and then did the top end. I did a lot of cosmetic work, and got it looking decent. I still have a lot of work to do on it, but it runs and drives. I think it is a good deal to buy them on the cheap, or as a basket case, especielly if you get most of the important parts. I like rebuilding things, if you do it right, and follow the manual your first couple times, you have nothing to worry about!

Tri-Z 250
11-29-2011, 11:22 PM
I'll give you $100+shipping for that locked-up bottom end(if the jug is good add 25)...if you score it and decide to flip it and find a runner. You could possible part it and afford to buy a runner R. Just PM me if interested.

match
11-30-2011, 02:10 AM
Thanks for all the info gang. Best I could tell (and based on what the guy said) all the parts were still there, just disassembled. Basically, the seat, rear plastic, air box, fuel tank, carb, cylinder, head, exhaust, etc. were all pulled off, but there. The rear fender was slightly faded/chalky (this Tri-z is white/red), but not cracked, seat was not cracked or split, and all the tires (looked like factory originals) were still holding air. I'll know if it's available in a week or so, and I'll let y'all know if I was able to purchase it or not.

tri-shee
11-30-2011, 10:54 PM
Thanks for all the info gang. Best I could tell (and based on what the guy said) all the parts were still there, just disassembled. Basically, the seat, rear plastic, air box, fuel tank, carb, cylinder, head, exhaust, etc. were all pulled off, but there. The rear fender was slightly faded/chalky (this Tri-z is white/red), but not cracked, seat was not cracked or split, and all the tires (looked like factory originals) were still holding air. I'll know if it's available in a week or so, and I'll let y'all know if I was able to purchase it or not. WHere are you located at ? If you do not buy it i may be interested in it . I am located down here in Texas . Let me know . Thanks , Blair

tri-Z ripper
12-01-2011, 08:26 AM
every Z is worth saving if you don't want to someone else will just remember that

scuba
12-02-2011, 05:47 PM
damn you guys make me want to pull my Z out of the tubs and weather and build it finally.....

wisconsinite
12-02-2011, 08:05 PM
^^ i know the feeling, i got a bunch of spare parts i keep thinking i should build a drag bike or something out of.

Mosh
12-02-2011, 08:51 PM
I built all my Tri-Z's and most of my ATV's out of parts piles..I would rather build basket cases. I know what is done, and done correctly, vs buying some hacked up "complete" trike.
None of them were bought as complete runners or even rollers. You dont have to do it overnight, as long as done correctly and the way you want them.

As far as parts, there are still plenty out there and quite a few parts that will swap over, as already stated.
Get it and good luck.

match
12-04-2011, 01:06 AM
Got it bought. I'll try to post some pics in a bit.

match
12-04-2011, 01:23 AM
Here's some pics

And one of my ATC250R for good measure (since I don't think I uploaded one after getting it going)

Mosh
12-04-2011, 09:25 AM
Nice..You have a really good start there. Being from Texas, there is probably very little rust to contend with. The forks look non pitted. Are the rest of the parts there?
Keep us posted on the build.

Bryan Raffa
12-04-2011, 10:13 AM
L@@ks like it all there ... Oem rears on it still...thoes were the first to ware out..lol

match
12-04-2011, 11:11 AM
I need to go look through the box of parts that came with it. I'll let y'all know if I'm missing anything. I don't remember seeing the flywheel / stator cover, or the water pump cover, but they may be in the box. I know the cylinder, carb, radiators, shrouds, air box and cover, and thermostat housing / hose assy. is in the box. Also have the factory head pipe. Someone cut the wires to the run / headlight switch, and I don't remember seeing it anywhere....

match
12-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Here's the box of parts

Here's the other stuff. The only things not in the pics are the rear fender, seat, and exhaust pipe. Let the contest begin....help me find out what's missing. Thanks !

Kfx-xc-racer88
12-04-2011, 03:03 PM
looks like a very good start!! ive had far worse!! lol

techguy
12-05-2011, 02:04 AM
Great find... Loved the 86 I had, wish I never sold it.