PDA

View Full Version : e-85 in an 86 200x?

GO OVRIT
11-26-2011, 02:12 AM
I just put my 86 200x back together a couple months ago after a run of destructive friends had gotten it from me 5 or 6 years ago. I'm running a pretty high flowing exhaust, UNI filter, stock carb with a 125 main jet and otherwise stock. So far I've run a tank of race gas because thats what was in the garage the day I finished it. It runs great. I've got a station that sells e-85, and I'm debating on trying it. What are the pro's and con's and what jetting should I try. Reguardless of what fuel I run, what is the next step up for a carb? Thanks, Mike

audioworks04
11-26-2011, 02:35 AM
You cant just run e-85 in anything. The high ethanol will destroy your seals and seats in your carb. It is do-able, I have heard of people doing with results of close to that of race gas. But as far as jetting, I would say that you would be close where your at, but would probably have to go up.

WIkid500
11-26-2011, 02:36 AM
you need to jet up at least 35% to run E85. I ran it in my ytm 200 for a bit just as an experiment... it worked well. The cons to E85 are you need to run a high compression piston to efficienyly burn the alcohol, and the alcohol eats up the floats, seals and lines in the fuel system. I would say stay away from it, it's not worth the headache. Next step for you if you are at the stock stage for intake would be to move to a xr200 carb and intake. Run premium no ethanol fuel and you will have a solid running machine. Oh the other con to E85 is poor fuel economy, would be due to that larger jet you would have to install to run the correct A/F ratio.

RIDE-RED 250r
11-26-2011, 10:22 AM
Just a side note.... I hope you understand that your stock engine will not run to it's full potential on race gas. With just a better flowing air filter and exhaust, higher octane fuel is not necessary and will not boost performance. In fact it will lose a little performance.

As to the ethanol garbage, here in NY it is impossible to completely avoid unless you get racing gasoline. But ours is still just a 10% blend. I have run it successfully in my sleds, boats and wheelers for the last couple of years now. But I do take precationary steps, mainly adding Stabil Marine, or Startron. These additives claim to prevent seperation and condensation issues brought on by ethanol blended fuels. I have not had any issues as of yet. I have not had to make any jetting adjustments to these machines either. But, I suspect that's mainly due to our relatively low percentage of ethanol in our fuel. E-85 I suspect would be a different story.

GO OVRIT
11-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Yea, I wasn't looking for any performance out of the race gas, but it was all I had the night I got it all together. Most all pump gas around here is 10% ethenol, but a couple stations and most of the marinas sell 89 and 93 non-ethenol. My brother and some of his friends picked up noticable difference in their carts with the e85 over 93. I'll probably just stick with 93 non-ethenol, atleast until I do some headwork and a piston. Thanks for the replies.

RIDE-RED 250r
11-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Good deal then. I have a marina failry close, but the price for the fuel on the water is horrendous! I just put the additive in and it does the job.....

atc007
11-26-2011, 01:48 PM
The only thing I know 100% for sure from 1st hand experience!!! It eats rust and gum,,if you have a dirty or rusty tank,,it will flake that crap till it can't eat anymore. LONG storyy,,,but we have a farm fuel supply. They brought it to me 4 years ago,,,within 2 weeks,,my filters were plugged and they had to flush my tank,,this stuff is the real deal when it comes to eating stuff up. Interesting to hear that it hurts the carbs,,I have not seen that at all?? I think it's the only choice up here also,,so not sure about that. I would simply disagree about rejetting at all. We never have,,and that is a Ton of machines I've ran it in.. Never rejetted,rebuilt or anything else. This is my experience with it. Good stuff to me..