PDA

View Full Version : 1983 KLT 250 fuel pump quit

thenewguy
11-25-2011, 01:02 AM
My fuel pump went out and I was wondering if you guys think a universal pump will work? The pump said 12v 4psi on the back and O'reilly's has a Mr. Gasket universal pump that matches those specs.

1985BigRed250ES
11-25-2011, 12:10 PM
i would try it

thenewguy
11-28-2011, 03:13 AM
I put the fuel pump in and I am running really rich, I have a had time starting it because it pumps so much fuel. The ratings on the package say 4-7 psi and 35gph. I was thinking about putting a fuel pressure regulator on it. It costs thirty dollars and has a fitting for 4psi exactly. Or I could exchange the pump for the Mr. Gasket low volume pump which is 2-3.5psi and 42gph. Which I thought was weird it flows more gph but is less psi. Definitely looking for some input on this one. Cause the regulator is thirty bucks and the other pump is forty five so its gonna cost me about the same either way.

hoosierlogger
11-28-2011, 07:51 AM
If it is going to cost the same I would go with the factory designed one. That way it dont look like something bcredneck built. (he cobbles crap together with whatever he has lying around, in case you didnt know)

just ben
11-28-2011, 09:26 AM
if its the mr gasket regulator dont waste your money. if you use a regulator buy a holley they are 45-50 bucks but it can be set as low as you need. the best option I think is if you can tap a fitting into the intake and use a vaccum opererated pump like found on a snowmobile.

thenewguy
11-28-2011, 12:52 PM
I can't find a stock pump to buy anywhere, at least not an electric. I've got a vaccuum line in the intake that someone had plugged with a screw so I wonder if it originally had a diaphragm style pump and some one switched it. So far even with a smaller pump I can't get it to start. It ran great Friday and Saturday with the larger pump and then Sunday and today it got pretty cold here so I don't know if that is making starting it so much more difficult

1985BigRed250ES
11-29-2011, 02:55 AM
we have a prairie 250 kawie and it has an electric fuel pump doesnt make much noise, might hear a "click" some but other than that you dont even know it has one. what i am getting at is, I think all the kawies had electric pumps on them. I think the 2psi pump would probably work best.