PDA

View Full Version : 200x cam I.D. and measurement

torque
11-24-2011, 08:09 PM
i want to i.d. the cam in a used 83 200x engine i bought a while back. it was supposed to a a White bros cam in it. i sent an email to Vance &Hinse and ask for cam specs from the former White Bros.
here is the reply

"Jarret,
Sorry, I had to do some searching to find anything on this cam. Looks
like White Brothers used to make two cams for this bike. Here are the lifts
and durations.

Lift lift duration duration
intake exhaust intake exhaust

.354" .354" 276 degree 276 degree All around cam

.392" .392" 284 degree 284 degree Fast offroad , Track

If you have any other questions just let us know.
-
Thank you,"

i just measured the cam lift in the head with a dial indicator. i came up with .305 on both lobes.

does any one recognize these specs?
or do i need to be schooled on cam lift measurement?

thanks

shortline10
11-24-2011, 09:01 PM
Any #s on the cam ? Sounds stock to me .

i want to i.d. the cam in a used 83 200x engine i bought a while back. it was supposed to a a White bros cam in it. i sent an email to Vance &Hinse and ask for cam specs from the former White Bros.
here is the reply

"Jarret,
Sorry, I had to do some searching to find anything on this cam. Looks
like White Brothers used to make two cams for this bike. Here are the lifts
and durations.

Lift lift duration duration
intake exhaust intake exhaust

.354" .354" 276 degree 276 degree All around cam

.392" .392" 284 degree 284 degree Fast offroad , Track

If you have any other questions just let us know.
-
Thank you,"

i just measured the cam lift in the head with a dial indicator. i came up with .305 on both lobes.

does any one recognize these specs?
or do i need to be schooled on cam lift measurement?

thanks

Team ATC
11-24-2011, 09:10 PM
its stock what makes you think its an aftermarket

torque
11-24-2011, 09:18 PM

i cant find any numbers on the cam here are some pics. not sure if it will help.

torque
11-24-2011, 09:20 PM
was told it was a a white bros cam in the engine when i bought it. the engine does have a lightened crank and flywheel ported head and wiesco 10.25:1 piston.

the stock lift numbers for a early 200x cam that i come up with are .288 and .270

Dirtcrasher
11-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Check the specs at megacycle and webcamshafts.

Isn't that an adjustable timing sprocket? Seems like it WAS built but who knows whats in there now.......

WilliamJ
11-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Did you measure the lift on the cam lobe or the valve? It doesn't say in the manual if the rockers have a ratio to increase lift at the valve.

What those lift and duration details don't tell you is how the measurements were stated. Some manufacturers state the duration from seat to seat, others from 50 thou lift. Usually the lift is stated as lift seen by the valve.

Also that doesn't give you any timing figures. Normally something like:- 34-66-66-34 which indicates Inlet opens BTDC, Inlet closes ABDC, Exhaust opens BBDC, Exhaust closes ATDC.
Bill

torque
11-24-2011, 09:43 PM
i measured right off of the lobes. i will send off another email to the old white bros and see if they can give a little more detail on the the measurement details.

in the mean time i posted some pics may be some one help me out.

thanks every one.

torque
11-24-2011, 09:46 PM
Check the specs at megacycle and webcamshafts.

Isn't that an adjustable timing sprocket? Seems like it WAS built but who knows whats in there now.......

yes it is. i was told it was a big al's product

shortline10
11-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Look between the large bearing and the first lobe very close , thats were it would be etched if it was and aftermarket cam . Also you could look at the sides of lobes to see if it was hard welded , an early WB cam would have been . By the looks of your pic it kinda looks stock to me .

i cant find any numbers on the cam here are some pics. not sure if it will help.

torque
11-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Look between the large bearing and the first lobe very close , thats were it would be etched if it was and aftermarket cam . Also you could look at the sides of lobes to see if it was hard welded , an early WB cam would have been . By the looks of your pic it kinda looks stock to me .

ok i found the markings

wb 277
5-99

im going to assume that this cam is the white bros all around cam .354 276 degree cam. i tried to get pics of the etching but my cam wont pic them up

thanks shortliine