PDA

View Full Version : 250sx shifting/clutch question

userj8670
11-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Is it normal when going from neutral to 1st/reverse for the bike to really lurch ? Also does this from first to second. The rest of the gears seem smooth as silk. Is this normal? Sometimes going to foward or reverse, it lurched so much that if on a flat surface, it stays in motion for a few feet....crazy?

dougspcs
11-24-2011, 09:51 AM
Start with the simple stuff!!

Your idle may be a bit high or the clutch might need to be adjusted!!

If you've never adjusted your clutch it's easy..full written instructions are in the manual which everyone has or is in the 3ww site.

But yeah it's still normal to do this a bit..especially when it's cold and your choke is on.

userj8670
11-24-2011, 10:14 AM
I have adjusted my clutch in the past and my Honda shop did it most recently. This is with a warm engine and choke off. I'm assuming that they wouldnt of let it leave if it wasn't right but my big red isn't as bad as this.

userj8670
11-24-2011, 10:16 AM
And I def don't think the idle is to high but I will look into that one.

dougspcs
11-24-2011, 10:27 AM
I have adjusted my clutch in the past and my Honda shop did it most recently. This is with a warm engine and choke off. I'm assuming that they wouldnt of let it leave if it wasn't right but my big red isn't as bad as this.

My SX is more 'lurchy' than my BR also..I just call it a quirk of the machine.

Dirtcrasher
11-24-2011, 01:16 PM
My SX does not lurch, but I can certainly "feel" it going into gear.

At that point, the centrifugal clutch is what is causing it to lurch because it's basically suppose to freewheel at that point. The manual clutch is the exact same clutch as a lever action but it's works via linkage from the shifter.

I have seen bad centrifugal clutches with grooves in them. Idle speed and viscosity of oil can also cause this issue.

tri again
11-24-2011, 01:23 PM
What happens if you, say, pull up on the shifter to get into 1st
and then SLOWLY let off - on the shifter.
Will it slip like slipping a manual clutch?

Some of mine do and some don't. Some slip beautifully, makes it nice to jump start
and some of them just bite instantly and jump forward a couple inches.
They sure like to idle 'uncomfortably' low. Maybe that would help.

Tempted to try the 'correct' oil for wet clutches, but I've been saying that for over a year now.

userj8670
11-24-2011, 01:42 PM
What happens if you, say, pull up on the shifter to get into 1st
and then SLOWLY let off - on the shifter.
Will it slip like slipping a manual clutch?

Some of mine do and some don't. Some slip beautifully, makes it nice to jump start
and some of them just bite instantly and jump forward a couple inches.
They sure like to idle 'uncomfortably' low. Maybe that would help.

Tempted to try the 'correct' oil for wet clutches, but I've been saying that for over a year now.

For the record I use spectro 4 oil. As to shifting it into first and letting it down slowly it still does kinda "grab". If i do it super slowly it is ok. Reverse is usually the hardest. Always have a hard time getting it back into first...meaning it takes alot of foot torque on the petal.lol. The big red just glides in.

userj8670
11-24-2011, 01:43 PM
My SX does not lurch, but I can certainly "feel" it going into gear.

At that point, the centrifugal clutch is what is causing it to lurch because it's basically suppose to freewheel at that point. The manual clutch is the exact same clutch as a lever action but it's works via linkage from the shifter.

I have seen bad centrifugal clutches with grooves in them. Idle speed and viscosity of oil can also cause this issue.

Steve - are you suggesting my clutch may be on the way out the door? I have never torn into the side case to inspect it for what its worth but it gets up and goes if you ask it to with no slippage.

tri again
11-24-2011, 02:05 PM
For the record I use spectro 4 oil. As to shifting it into first and letting it down slowly it still does kinda "grab". If i do it super slowly it is ok. Reverse is usually the hardest. Always have a hard time getting it back into first...meaning it takes alot of foot torque on the petal.lol. The big red just glides in.

ummmm, mine, I think most of them...I have to goose the throttle in reverse to get the pressure off the gears and it will
shift out of reverse super easily. Just a quick throttle blip to move the trike an inch or so.
Of course, I back mine downhill to get them out of the greenhouse so there is
gravity pressure on all the gears.
I'll have to try getting out of reverse on flat ground.

userj8670
11-24-2011, 04:26 PM
i have noticed if i rock it forwards or backwards when i want to shift out of reverse that does help but what about the big jump from neutral to first or first to second.

tri again
11-24-2011, 04:38 PM
i have noticed if i rock it forwards or backwards when i want to shift out of reverse that does help but what about the big jump from neutral to first or first to second.

ok back to the orig issue.
BIG ka-lunk into 1st and 2nd but 3-4-5 are smooth as perfection?
and this is felt also as resistance in the shifter lever?
in addition to the klunk jump of the whole trike.....hmmmmI mean, you'd think if the
clutch discs etc were funky warped or something it would do it all the time.

What happens if you try and start out in 3rd?
oh wait, you're already in gear.
What if you ust shift into 1-2 and 3 without going forward?
does 3rd klunk?

somebody's gotta know
any filings in the oil?
synchro soup? silver or brassy?

Headsup
11-24-2011, 06:30 PM
Mine clunks into first and 2nd, And makes it jump a bit.
even if i have no throttle Applied.

Also i rock mine sometimes to shift out of R into N . Sometimes it will just go Smoothly, but like stated i think that is the pressure on it.
Sorry i can't help much.
Just implying mine does it also.
It does help a bit when i turn my Idle down a smidgen.

dougspcs
11-24-2011, 08:11 PM
Mine clunks into first and 2nd, And makes it jump a bit.
even if i have no throttle Applied.

Also i rock mine sometimes to shift out of R into N . Sometimes it will just go Smoothly, but like stated i think that is the pressure on it.
Sorry i can't help much.
Just implying mine does it also.
It does help a bit when i turn my Idle down a smidgen.

Mine too..as I mentioned, I'm more on the track that this is a quirk of the machine than an indication the transmission may be full of shrapnel..

Check, adjust what you can and ride it is my advice.

Dirtcrasher
11-24-2011, 08:21 PM
^ I rock mine too because I don't feel like adjusting the reverse cable.......

If either of your clutches are on the way out, you'll soon find out.

Thing is, I am not there and you said "really lurch" which mine does not do. A slight feel of it going into gear is correct.

Increased RPM's engage the centrifugal clutch so ANYTHING that raise the idle can cause it to creep forwards.

The manual clutch plates only separate when you hold the lever either up or down (which is how allot of guys ruin there SX by wheelying this way - they hold the lever up in 2nd or it's really 1st and rev it up, then let go of the shifter). Once in a a selected gear, it shouldn't "really creep".

When the manual clutch needs adjusting it will slip and won't shift smoothly. Try the adjustment on the manual clutch and see how it affects it.

atc350xer
11-24-2011, 09:30 PM
My last sx did that... it jumped when you put it into gear, and no amount of idle adjustment would help it. I traded it away before I ever found the solution... I'm curious as well.

userj8670
11-25-2011, 12:38 PM
well i turned it down and it did help but it seems that it doesnt run as well. Also if you just rev it in the driveway - the exhaust seems to pop on the unwinding of the engine

tri again
11-25-2011, 06:38 PM
well i turned it down and it did help but it seems that it doesnt run as well. Also if you just rev it in the driveway - the exhaust seems to pop on the unwinding of the engine

you mean like backfire? when you let off the gas?
I wish I knew but some say..
too rich with tight exhaust valve can detonate unburned fuel in the muffler.
or classic signs of running too lean.

Man, I'd wait until someone actually knows what they're talking about
to post and at least make fun of my suggestions.

Works every time.
but may just get you the right answer.

Mine all idle super annoyingly low but they'll sit there and idle like that forever.
Mostly due to spiffyclean idle or slow jet.
Tiny little suckers that plug easily.
.008" guitar string should fit easily but they also say to never use wire to clean them.

Dirtcrasher
11-25-2011, 07:51 PM

Thats because your jetting is still off..............