PDA

View Full Version : Good 4-stroke oil?

Matrix
11-22-2011, 11:38 PM
I have actually searched the site for this but I did not see it. So whats some good oil to run? I run Honda HP2 pro racing oil in my 250r (not for egotistical reasons) would that work in my 200x and 185s? The previous owner didnt take the best care of this trike (200x) so I want to run something in it to maybe clean it, I ran sea-foam in my 185s twice and nothing bad happened so could I run it in my 200?

Xpress
11-22-2011, 11:43 PM
Any 10W-30 or 10W-40 motorcycle wet clutch style is perfectly fine. Literally, pick one, they all have to meet specific grades before they can be sold.

badass350x
11-22-2011, 11:49 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lets just stick with what xpress said!!!

bkm
11-23-2011, 12:31 AM
You might want to consult with Fabiodriven. He is the resident oil guy and loves nothing more than a good discussion on oil. This is something that just doesn't get talked about a lot around here and I know he looks forward to some oily banter. As a matter of fact he once had written in his signature that we need more threads pertaining to oil.

79fordblake
11-23-2011, 02:21 AM
Well for what its worth I use Valvoline ATV 10w-40 in mine.

RamsesRibb
11-23-2011, 02:29 AM
The best thing to run short of premium synthetic motorcycle oil is Rotella. You can buy it in bulk anywhere for pretty cheap and its packed with all the right additives.

falloutboy
11-23-2011, 02:58 AM
Oh, I can't wait for Fabio to chime in. There are oil threads all over the place,it seems.

Oh and HP2 is two stroke oil....

atc007
11-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Strap in tight boys,,,Here we go !!

dougspcs
11-23-2011, 09:22 AM
I run Honda HP2 pro racing oil in my 250r (not for egotistical reasons) would that work in my 200x and 185s?

Are you talking about a lighter mix gas/oil in your 4 stroke? Or putting HP2 (2stroke oil) in the crankcase of your 4 strokes(NO, NO, NO)?? Just curious to know you understand the difference between a 2stroke and 4stroke!!!

I'll assume you do and you want to throw a bit of mix gas in your tank of the 200x/185s. Well to start it isn't gonna clean anything..fact it will foul your plug pretty quickly depending on your mixture ratio.

If your intention is to try and clean the top end out (combustion chamber, intake and exhaust valve...) then get a good spray combustion chamber cleaner and follow the instructions. Your seafoam idea is fine for the 200x also..

ama009
11-23-2011, 09:43 AM
I thought the newbie section was supposed to stop all this! I guess this is just the nature of the beast.

atc350xer
11-23-2011, 10:58 AM
^^ Yeah I run the same (Castrol, not horse piss)^^

fabiodriven
11-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Just a suggestion, but how about an oil thread sticky? We could put links to the millions of existing oil threads in there.

ezmoney1979
11-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Just a suggestion, but how about an oil thread sticky? We could put links to the millions of existing oil threads in there.

We all wait for you to chime in this morning and thats all we get? An only half-sarcastic, civil responce? You're slipping Fabio :)

Grizzlypeg
11-23-2011, 11:48 AM
I've run Rotella oil with the JASA-MA rating in my ATV's for years and never had a problem. JASO-MA rating ensures that it is wet clutch compatible.

dougspcs
11-23-2011, 12:02 PM
just a suggestion, but how about an oil thread sticky? We could put links to the millions of existing oil threads in there.

heeerrrrreeeessss johnny!!!!

fabiodriven
11-23-2011, 12:04 PM
We all wait for you to chime in this morning and thats all we get? An only half-sarcastic, civil responce? You're slipping Fabio :)

I know, I know. I was thinking that as I posted it. Sorry guys. Lol

RamsesRibb
11-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Can we start a fuel thread?

Bryan Raffa
11-23-2011, 10:16 PM
:shiftyeyes:Let's get with it here boys... no,misleading info boys! Were ................:shiftyeyes:.....

X-it
12-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Want a good oil thread here it is ( well 2 stroke oil that is). http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/352-general-snowmobile-forum/547495-oil-i-know-i-know.html

X-it
12-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Want a good oil thread here it is ( well 2 stroke oil that is). http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/352-general-snowmobile-forum/547495-oil-i-know-i-know.html And you should read his fuel thread as well awesome reading

CRAZY70MAN
12-08-2011, 08:53 PM
I have actually searched the site for this but I did not see it. So whats some good oil to run? I run Honda HP2 pro racing oil in my 250r (not for egotistical reasons) would that work in my 200x and 185s? The previous owner didnt take the best care of this trike (200x) so I want to run something in it to maybe clean it, I ran sea-foam in my 185s twice and nothing bad happened so could I run it in my 200?

Like Doug said....you are taliking about crankcase oil correct and not fuel premix? Any 10w 40 will work just fine in most 4 strokes for crankcase oil. I run it in most of my fleet of 15-30 trikes at times and I ride em' all hard and put em away wet. Never had any clutch or mechanical issues yet from regular oil. If you want to run a wet clutch higher dollar oil, have at it. I have before and noticed no difference....maybe set your mind at ease though?? Sometimes we over analyze the whole oil thing I beleive. I ran the same oil 25 years ago in my 86 tri z as I run now.....even ran my dads homelite chainsaw oil for premix when money was tight and I was in a pinch! Man I logged some serious serious road miles on that ole' Z!! lol.....and that Z never let me down! Hope this helped...........good luck and don't worry....it's a Honda.,,,lol

Dirtcrasher
12-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Honda makes some really pretty packaging...... Like a hot girl thats Bi-Polar.

Admittedly I run VR1 oil in my 86 350X crate motor with work done to it. I don't plan on opening it up for 20 years, by then I'll be dead or unable to enjoy a trike; But, I will ride something.

All I can say is I read a report that as long as it was ALG or ALGI or SP?? whatever, that when 100 New York taxi cabs were tested for 100K miles, there was absolutely no significant wear in the surfaces (journals,cams,bore,etc.) regardless of the oil used, cheap or expensive as long as they had the same certification.

We all have a preference..... I change my oil more often than most people but when I ride, many times I am very hard on it. I change the filter every other oil change.

Yes, these are trike motors and not small block 350's, however, I believe the same information holds true.

The only issues to be aware of are "wet clutch", "high mileage" and "other additives" these days.

I only used VR1 in my 86 350X crate motor because it was 1) new, 2) ran a megacycle cam and 3) wasn't sure how a 20 y.o. clutch would hold up. I love the trike and the motor and want to tweak it even more and want it to last.

Hands down, I am a believer that by far the largest amounts of engine wear are from not warming up the motor, not keeping it full, improper installation when rebuilt and letting it run low on oil.

Fancy packaging holds true for any consumer goods. I ran Walmart Pro-Tech oil for 15 years in my 250SX, changed it as described and it starts, runs, drives just like it did. I have NEVER seized an engine, lost a clutch (aside from prior wear or a cheap clutch, *I run Barnett or OEM only for me*) or have seen any significant wear from different oils.

Many people have faith in Honda GN whatever or other 7$ a quart oil; I can only share 25 years and 50 different engines of experience with to make comparisons.

To each there own :beer

fabiodriven
12-08-2011, 09:23 PM
This is me answering an oil thread. I have no idea why.

I am a big fan of synthetics in small engines, such as the ones in our trikes.

The only non synthetic two stroke oil I use is Golden Spectro. I'm not faithful to any particular brand so long as it's a full synthetic. The only one I try to avoid is that techno-plate or whatever the hell, the one that separates.

I run full synthetic in my four strokes for the most part, with the exception of the little guys. 110's and such. Again I'm not faithful to any particular brand so long as it's a full synthetic.

Mr_RPM
12-09-2011, 04:38 PM
you guys are ALL ignorant.
consult an oil professional http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fak_RmAp5M

X-it
12-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Ha ha Yep pretty well sums it up.