PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Z ideas & questions

J.D.
11-08-2003, 01:30 AM
I saw a Tri-Zinger tank on ebay for cheap, I know they will fit in airbox compartment. What if I put it there, BUT, kept the stock one, and just made that one to drain into the stock tank as the fuel from there get's used up? Anybody see a problem with that?

# 2

Fiber reeds or Power reeds? (both from Boyesen) which is better, lasts longer etc?

# 3

Does anybody know if a year of the YZ250 head gasket will work for the Tri-Z and give it more compression like the CR250 to ATC250 trick???

That's all for now! ;)

Lots_Of_Nothing
11-08-2003, 02:04 AM
1. - Sounds like an incredibely stupid idea, WHY?

2. - Carbon fiber reeds=better performance, but wear faster than power reeds

3. - Not entirely sure of what year, but i've heard of it, i would just use stock, i would use stock everything, z's aren't worth it, might as well just make it a nice stock machine

wolfspider
11-08-2003, 10:12 AM
83 to 85 yz gaskets fit tri z i`ve got one on mine, also i think it is worth doing the mods on engine, i`ve got boysen power reeds in mine,dg front and rear pipe, ported and polished barrel and skimmed head it runs real strong, i think if you were to use the airbox tank you`d save a lot of weight by junking the stock tank and fuel pump, also you could fit a better air filter for more power.
here`s my z.
cheers steve. :-D

wolfspider
11-08-2003, 10:14 AM
full size pic

J.D.
11-08-2003, 02:16 PM

3. - Not entirely sure of what year, but i've heard of it, i would just use stock, i would use stock everything, z's aren't worth it, might as well just make it a nice stock machine

#1 - Because I live in the desert, extra fuel capacity is a nice thing.

mike from long island
11-08-2003, 02:39 PM
why not try a different gas tank thats bigger then a tri-zinger like a banshee or warrior i have been thinking of doing that. i already have just a tri-zinger tank on my Z. got rid of that crappy fuel pump set up. good luck

NOS_350X
11-08-2003, 04:02 PM
wolf do i see a cockshift on that?? how do you pull the clutch? if not what is that?

J.D.
11-08-2003, 05:21 PM
why not try a different gas tank thats bigger then a tri-zinger like a banshee or warrior i have been thinking of doing that. i already have just a tri-zinger tank on my Z. got rid of that crappy fuel pump set up. good luck

That's not a bad idea but I don't know of anybody with these tanks, and I don't wanna spend the dough to buy one and find out it won't work.

twgranger
11-08-2003, 06:20 PM

3. - Not entirely sure of what year, but i've heard of it, i would just use stock, i would use stock everything, z's aren't worth it, might as well just make it a nice stock machinewhat's wrong with a tri-z? :evil:

J.D.
11-08-2003, 08:57 PM
What's wrong with them is they aren't as good as an R or a T3

Lots_Of_Nothing
11-08-2003, 09:01 PM
haha, nothing is wrong with them, i was just messing with goku, i always pick on him about it

why not just seal the airbox up somehow, add a petcock and some kind of top, turn it into a gas tank

twgranger
11-08-2003, 09:16 PM
What's wrong with them is they aren't as good as an R or a T3 :rolleyes:

J.D.
11-08-2003, 09:27 PM
Why are you rolling your eyes?

twgranger
11-08-2003, 09:31 PM
Why are you rolling your eyes?nothing

wolfspider
11-09-2003, 06:30 AM
is that a cockshift on there

yeah i`m disabled (paraplegic) i only use clutch to set off works really good means i can still ride. 8)

J.D.
11-09-2003, 02:23 PM
is that a cockshift on there

yeah i`m disabled (paraplegic) i only use clutch to set off works really good means i can still ride. 8)

Hey that's cool wolfspider! Well, not cool that your disabled, but it's awesome you don't let that get you down and you ride! Keep on rollin!!!

slippy4
11-09-2003, 10:40 PM
will the whole top end gasket kit work or just the headgasket off the yz250's?

J.D.
11-09-2003, 11:18 PM
I know for sure that Yamaha sells the same cylinder base gasket for an 85 YZ250 and an 85Tri-Z 250. They are the exact same number...86 may be different though.

Tri-Z Pilot
11-10-2003, 01:36 AM
Why would you want to know if the complete top end gasket set off a yz 250 would work for a tri-z, when you can just buy a tri-z set? (top end gaskets for the tri-z are the most easyily found gaskets for the whole trike) Now goku, you wouldnt need a new gasket set to raise the hp of your tri-z, the only thing the gasket does is bring the cylinder closer to the bottom end base, which increases compression, you can accomplish this by shaving the cylinder or head down a few thousnandths of an inch.

wolfspider
11-10-2003, 05:37 AM
thanx goku much appreciated.
going back to gaskets i used yz gaskets because in uk tri z ones are only available from dealer(expensive) plus the gaskets i got for 83 yz were not oem= lot cheaper. i got a full gasket set for £18 and there was only about 3 small gaskets i couldn`t use.
hope this helps
steve.

catfishwhisker
11-10-2003, 09:39 PM
Why would you want to know if the complete top end gasket set off a yz 250 would work for a tri-z, when you can just buy a tri-z set? (top end gaskets for the tri-z are the most easyily found gaskets for the whole trike) Now goku, you wouldnt need a new gasket set to raise the hp of your tri-z, the only thing the gasket does is bring the cylinder closer to the bottom end base, which increases compression, you can accomplish this by shaving the cylinder or head down a few thousnandths of an inch.

I think he was talking about the head gasket, not the base gasket. I think the idea he was getting at was to use a thinner head gasket to up the compression a little. A thicker or thinner head gasket has no bearing on bringing the cylinder closer to the "bottom end base". You would have to use a thinner base gasket to accomplish that.

slippy4
11-10-2003, 09:45 PM
i was wondering is because it is how much cheaper for the complete top end set for the yz