PDA

View Full Version : 1985 250r

jabhonda
11-21-2011, 02:07 PM
i am thinking about getting a 85 250r for 900 no less but the guy said it needs front fork seals and the front sproket has been welded on. i havent looked at it yet but i was wondering if it was worth my time to even look at it if hes wanting to much or look for something better. i went and looked at it it sounds and runs good good plastic a pro link swing arm uni air filter aftermarket bars and grips so would it be worth it with the additions?

ezmoney1979
11-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Sounds like it has been abused and poorly maintained. There is hardly anything stupider than welding the sprocket on when it comes to wrenching. You can go look at it but from just the two things you mentioned I wouldnt get my hopes up. Good luck.

Swinger
11-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Got any pics of it?

Mosh
11-21-2011, 02:30 PM
You will need to split the cases and get a new sprocket shaft. Unfortuantely I believe that part is discontinued and it will run near $100 just for the shaft.
You will have almost a grand into the engine repairs if you cant do them yourself..
I dont even need to look at, it to tell you this machine is probably worth only 3-400$ around these parts. Unless it has mint OEM plastics on it.

Xpress
11-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Definitely need some high res pics to tell you for sure. If you can never find 250r's in your area then it might be worth it to you, but otherwise from the sounds of it, it sounds like a lot of work...

Need pics though.

The sprocket shaft you might be able to save if you take your time with it and sharp dremel bits.

threewheelin-feelin
11-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Definitely need some high res pics to tell you for sure. If you can never find 250r's in your area then it might be worth it to you, but otherwise from the sounds of it, it sounds like a lot of work...

Need pics though.

The sprocket shaft you might be able to save if you take your time with it and sharp dremel bits.

i was going to say the same...go look at it...it may have just been tack welded. you never know...so it may not be to bad a deal...just look very close for the famous case damage at the shifter shaft as well