PDA

View Full Version : 200x dual headlight mount

hippyplz
11-19-2011, 01:10 AM
I am going to put some trail tech lights on my 84 200x and i need some ideas for the mount. I looked all over this site and the web but havent found much. Any of you guys installed these before?

shortline10
11-20-2011, 03:07 PM
Better power them up first to see if the stator has enough WATTS to handle 2 lights .

jb2wheels
11-21-2011, 12:10 AM

I bought the light bars from a member on another forum. Excellent quality! The bar on the white trike has taken 3 direct hits during crashes with only paint damage - and I did the paint!

The lights are 55W Hella 500s - 1 fog + 1 driving per trike.

I have a stock 200x engine in the red trike and the lights are wired to run the fog on "low" and the driving light on "high". The stock 200x stator does not have enough power for even one of the lights. I thought it would but the light is dim and comes on slowly. I will probably have it rewound this spring to run both + the tail + a flag light.

The white trike has a Loncin electric start engine. It has plenty of power to run both lights at once and does a nice job in the dunes.

You might be able to mount lights in the top triple where the holes already there. My red trike had one 35W "utility" light mounted there when I got it.

I have a bunch of cash tied up in these - especially if I have the stator rewound. I rarely use them but they look cool and I lusted after setups like this in the 80s so I'm reliving my youth. Also, neither of my 200x had stock headlights (one had nothing at all) when I got them. I'm not completely sure I'd do it again. My 350x and 250R have stock lights and I won't change them out. Not sure what I'm going to do if I sell either or both of the 200x's.

Xpress
11-21-2011, 02:34 AM
I believe the stock 200X stator is 75 watts. WHICH TrailTech light are you talking about? If it's the 35mm 12W ones then no problem with those, on high they would consume a minuscule 24 watts and 2.26 amps.

Just make sure your bike has been converted to DC and is running a battery to keep the voltage steady enough to keep from killing the lights.

hippyplz
11-21-2011, 03:54 PM
These are the 35w lights. I was thinking that the staitor would need upgraded but i didnt know that it would need a battery. Does someone make a kit?

Xpress
11-21-2011, 04:17 PM
TrailTech does not have a 35 watt light. If you mean the 35mm LED's then it can handle 2 of them no problems. You cannot run them on the 200x's AC output voltage either.

Nobody makes a kit, you have to convert the stator to a floating ground, rectify it, regulate it, then run the output leads to a battery. From there you can run output leads to a switch and then the lights (or do they have switches built in?).

It's easier done than said. PM me if you want complete details.

hippyplz
11-22-2011, 09:29 PM
The mount is coming along but i pulled the bulbs and they are both 50w. even if i run a battery and have the stator rewound will that be enough to run these or should i look and some lower watt lights or even leds or hids?

Xpress
11-22-2011, 09:38 PM
I would look for LED's rather than run dual Halogens. Even re-wound, the stator won't have much int it to light them up fully.

Rigid Industries Dually LED's would be what I recommend, one spot and one flood.

RapidRick
11-22-2011, 09:43 PM
I believe the stock 200X stator is 75 watts. WHICH TrailTech light are you talking about? If it's the 35mm 12W ones then no problem with those, on high they would consume a minuscule 24 watts and 2.26 amps.

Just make sure your bike has been converted to DC and is running a battery to keep the voltage steady enough to keep from killing the lights.

I think 75 is alittle high. Total watts required for that year is only 65 and the alternator is rated for 68 per the manual.

I tried running the 350x lights on my 200x and they wouldn't get past the ultra dim stage :wondering

Be and add up the total wattage requirement and tell the folks who are going to do the rewind.

hippyplz
11-22-2011, 10:12 PM
The stock light is 35w right? just so i have the right info when shopping for new ones. Halogens would need to be lower watts plus they will still dim at lower rpms and leds i will need to change from ac to dc add a battery but will be much better setup and wont dim when i idle down?

Xpress
11-22-2011, 10:36 PM
Stock headlight is a 55w hi/low bulb, and the stator should be a 75 watt, or so I have read.