PDA

View Full Version : 350x keeps blowing headlight bulbs

AirManCam
11-17-2011, 10:33 PM
I just got it going again and pretty much all mechanically sound but it keeps blowing bulbs. I checked the wires, they are all properly secured. I'm thinking voltage rectifier? Is there any way to test it? I have a multi-meter.
Thanks!

Xowner
11-17-2011, 11:41 PM
Check the wires where they go into the rubber part and see if there frayed, If not 99% of the time its the rectifier. Dunno if there is a way to test it .

tri again
11-18-2011, 01:24 AM
I just got it going again and pretty much all mechanically sound but it keeps blowing bulbs. I checked the wires, they are all properly secured. I'm thinking voltage rectifier? Is there any way to test it? I have a multi-meter.
Thanks!

I can check the manual for rectifier test, if there is one.
I know the old trail 90s used the battery to soak up the voltage spikes
and all intact bulbs needed to be present
and that all bulbs needed to be in and working or they'd pop...

Never even seen a 350 so I'm assuming no battery/regulator.
Just rectifier to run ignition and lights.?

Grounds are good?

AirManCam
11-18-2011, 09:24 AM
Yes sir, all wiring is good. I did remove the headlight to clean stuff up but I put all the wires back together and they are in the proper colored plugs, not sure if order matters but I don't see how it would because its two wires going to one wire as long as the colors are the same.

dougspcs
11-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Hook up your volt meter to the headlamp circuit, set it to read volts DC..start and idle the bike and monitor and record it. Now give the throttle a couple revs, watch and record the readings from low rev to high rev, then finally hold it at a high idle for 20-30 seconds and record the results.

Secondly, you said it keeps blowing bulbs..how many?? Are they going out on the same side or alternating left then right then left...??

Let us know these results..I consulted the manual and it says the A/C regulator should be maintaining your voltage to 13.5-14.5V. There is a specific test in there for it also.

You may have a faulty A/C regulator(rectifier) as you suspected.

AirManCam
11-18-2011, 11:56 AM
Hook up your volt meter to the headlamp circuit, set it to read volts DC..start and idle the bike and monitor and record it. Now give the throttle a couple revs, watch and record the readings from low rev to high rev, then finally hold it at a high idle for 20-30 seconds and record the results.

Secondly, you said it keeps blowing bulbs..how many?? Are they going out on the same side or alternating left then right then left...??

Let us know these results..I consulted the manual and it says the A/C regulator should be maintaining your voltage to 13.5-14.5V. There is a specific test in there for it also.

You may have a faulty A/C regulator(rectifier) as you suspected.
Thanks for the help, I'll check when I get back home I'm headed out of town on a hunting trip. It blew the ones that were in it, so I just replaced them and they blew too. I think the rectifier is bad because the last time I flipped them on I was riding it and they were super bright, almost looked like hid's..they didn't last long. They didn't blow in any specific order but one went before the other each time.

dougspcs
11-18-2011, 12:20 PM
You'll probably see that high rev voltage is way over the 14.5 spec.

From the symptoms you are probably on the right track..I wouldn't ride it until it's fixed. On a machine without a battery to help stabilize voltage I would be concerned about the high voltage damaging other components like the ignition module or coil!!

tri again
11-18-2011, 12:54 PM
You'll probably see that high rev voltage is way over the 14.5 spec.

From the symptoms you are probably on the right track..I wouldn't ride it until it's fixed. On a machine without a battery to help stabilize voltage I would be concerned about the high voltage damaging other components like the ignition module or coil!!

Great advice.
I wish I had the test protocol for these.
Hate to mention the trail 90 again but that has a taillight too that needs to be in the load
sequence.
Does a 350 have a taillight too?
If so it may need one in the loop.

so? the 350 and the 90 have rectifiers, often confused with a regulator?

I think I've heard that ac is rectified in the cdi unit on some machines too, but certainly wouldn't bet expensive parts on that notion.

threewheelin-feelin
11-18-2011, 09:19 PM
Great advice.
Hate to mention the trail 90 again but that has a taillight too that needs to be in the load
sequence.

I think I've heard that ac is rectified in the cdi unit on some machines too, but certainly wouldn't bet expensive parts on that notion.

the 350x has a voltage regulator in the back near the grab bar...you do not have to have all bulbs in on the x the voltage reulator takes care of all that...id say its the regulator as well...i had this problem...my lights blew every time id rev it up

AirManCam
11-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Great advice.
sequence.

Hmm, that's not a bad bet because the tail light is on it but its broken. I'll pick up a tail light and add that to the mix too its on my restoration list anyways. I just got it all mechanically sound and winters coming so I'll probably just rip it all apart and go through all of it.

dougspcs
11-18-2011, 10:26 PM
'threewheelin' is right..bulb missing or being blown are not important. The voltage regulator does the work regardless of what bulbs are working..

Dirtcrasher
11-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Rectifiers change AC to DC; Only needed when you need DC for a battery. Regulators maintain a given voltage parameter.......... Our lights are AC.

swampthang
11-18-2011, 11:04 PM
The regulator on my 225 DX when crazy one time and it blew out all the bulbs on the bike headlight,tailight,even the neutral light. It sucked because I was riding home from a friends house at night. I replaced it and I haven't blown a bulb sense.

Howdy
11-19-2011, 02:45 AM
There is a voltage regulator mounted near the back of the air box under the seat. Make sure it's hooked up properly. if it is it's possible it has went bad. When they go bad I normally replace them with an aftermarket "Volt Pack" ( lots cheaper ). Simple 2 wire hook up and wa-la your good to go.
Howdy

AirManCam
11-19-2011, 05:56 AM
There is a voltage regulator mounted near the back of the air box under the seat. Make sure it's hooked up properly. if it is it's possible it has went bad. When they go bad I normally replace them with an aftermarket "Volt Pack" ( lots cheaper ). Simple 2 wire hook up and wa-la your good to go.
Howdy
Thanks Howdy, do you have a link to said volt pack?

Howdy
11-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Thanks Howdy, do you have a link to said volt pack?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/195/7315/ITEM/MSR-Racing-Voltage-Regulator.aspx

I have a few I can sell for $13 plus $5 shipping ( Priority mail ).
Howdy