PDA

View Full Version : ATC 70 - 140 conversion exhaust question

hoosierlogger
11-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Will most of the pit bike pipes that fit the XR50's and XR70's fit on the atc 70 frame with a Lifan 140?

I cant find a definite answer any where. Tried the search function, but try a search for anything with exhaust in the title and you get every thing under the sun, but what I was looking for.

briano
11-15-2011, 11:03 PM
They take a little tweaking to make it fit but not to bad. On mine I cut and welded in two different places to make it fit tight to the frame, but you can heat it up and bend it to. Mine is about the cheapest one you can get, where it goes over the top of the motor it goes straight back, I have seen some of them that are over the top and then bent down heading back toward the rear of the bike, which I think would be easier to make fit.

Mosh
11-15-2011, 11:11 PM
You want one like this design..The straighter the better. You will have to do some slight teaking. Actually a 1 inch conduit bender will work for tweaking it, and it is not much.You usually have to cut about 3-5 inches off the back to tuck the silencer in nice.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Bore-Exhaust-Muffler-Pipe-XR-CRF-50-70-CRF50-XR50-Pit-Bike-SSR-SDG-/320783509502?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4ab02fe7fe Notice how straight it is towards the silencer.

That way no heat is involved and it wont ruin the finish on the pipe.

Now if you get one like this with all the funky bends, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Exhaust-Chinese-CRF50-KLX110-Style-Pit-Bike-/160672955309?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2568dabbad
It will be hell on making it fit. Trust me..Been there, made that mistake.
I just put in a Lifan this weekend for a guy and used a pipe like in the first link and got it on with little effort.

I will add, that I cut my fenders back with these engines, build spacers for the rear hubs and use the kickstart. I dont run the pullstart conversions. SO once I cut my fenders back, I actually gain fender to pipe clearence as well. But the Lifan one I just did, I did not have to worry about the pipe to fender clearance.

If you can afford it, I would suggest a pipe made by Sterdy..If they still have them, or a under pipe from ATC70.com.

briano
11-15-2011, 11:18 PM
Mine didn't look like either of those, but someone owned it before me so I don't know what they did with it.

hoosierlogger
11-16-2011, 08:06 AM
You want one like this design..The straighter the better. You will have to do some slight teaking. Actually a 1 inch conduit bender will work for tweaking it, and it is not much.You usually have to cut about 3-5 inches off the back to tuck the silencer in nice.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Bore-Exhaust-Muffler-Pipe-XR-CRF-50-70-CRF50-XR50-Pit-Bike-SSR-SDG-/320783509502?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4ab02fe7fe Notice how straight it is towards the silencer.

That way no heat is involved and it wont ruin the finish on the pipe.

If you can afford it, I would suggest a pipe made by Sterdy..If they still have them, or a under pipe from ATC70.com.

I was eye balling the one in the first link. Just wasnt sure if it would fit right or not.
That is probably going to be the one I go with since funds are rather limited on this venture.

Mosh
11-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Here is a pic of that pipe on the Lifan 125 we just did for my friend.

350xx
11-17-2011, 03:33 PM
I was looking at the same exhaust. because of the price!

hoosierlogger
11-17-2011, 03:54 PM
thats pretty sexy Mosh. Where did you have to bend it at right behind the heat shield? I bought this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Bore-Exhaust-Muffler-Pipe-XR-CRF-50-70-CRF50-XR50-Pit-Bike-SSR-SDG-/320783509502?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4ab02fe7fe

How wide are your axle spacers? I have got to make some.

Macs
11-17-2011, 05:00 PM

I used a hooker exhaust for an ATC70. I had to do some tweaking but not that bad.

Mosh
11-17-2011, 05:47 PM
thats pretty sexy Mosh. Where did you have to bend it at right behind the heat shield? I bought this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Bore-Exhaust-Muffler-Pipe-XR-CRF-50-70-CRF50-XR50-Pit-Bike-SSR-SDG-/320783509502?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4ab02fe7fe (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?campid=5336526073&toolid=10001&mpre=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Bore-Exhaust-Muffler-Pipe-XR-CRF-50-70-CRF50-XR50-Pit-Bike-SSR-SDG-/320783509502?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4ab02fe7fe)

How wide are your axle spacers? I have got to make some.
Yeah that is the same guy we used too. he ships quick. 3 days from LA to Ohio.

You have to twist the front head tubes some, against each other. (the U part near the head) Hard to explain, but once you mock it up you will see it. You want to twist the outer U upbend, so it drops the pipe down towards clutch cover some. Then, you will slightly tweak it down again at the last bend behind the heat shield be careful not to kink the pipe at the bend. Cut a few inches off the end of the pipe where you want the silencer to sit.

I run the spacers at +2 per side.

hoosierlogger
11-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Yeah that is the same guy we used too. he ships quick. 3 days from LA to Ohio.

You have to twist the front head tubes some, against each other. (the U part near the head) Hard to explain, but once you mock it up you will see it. You want to twist the outer U upbend, so it drops the pipe down towards clutch cover some. Then, you will slightly tweak it down again at the last bend behind the heat shield be careful not to kink the pipe at the bend. Cut a few inches off the end of the pipe where you want the silencer to sit.

I run the spacers at +2 per side.

Hell that dont sound too bad. From the pics you posted it doesnt look like it needed bent very much.

I was thinking of 2" on the spacers myself, but wanted to be sure. Its nice to have everyone as a reference that has done this before.

Jessman
12-01-2011, 12:12 PM

I used a hooker exhaust for an ATC70. I had to do some tweaking but not that bad.

Hey, got any bigger pictures of the hooker exhaust on your pink atc70? I am looking for a good under style exhaust for my 125 lifan swap. My 3yr old will be ridingf with me and his foot rests on the side cover.

Where did you buy it, and are they still available or hard to find like the cobra? Also, how loud/quiet is it?

sledcrazyinCT
12-03-2011, 11:38 AM
who has put these types of sytems on a 110? can it fit down the side of the frame without chopping the rear fender and using wheel spacers? wnat to get rid of the destroyed stock exhaust.

Macs
12-08-2011, 05:44 PM
I will have to get you bigger pics, thats all i have on my work computer.

I purchased 2 of these off of ebay. They have been the only 2 i have ever seen, so i figured they have been discontinued for sometime. But then again, i havnt looked since purchasing these but who knows.
They are built like the cobra, but the muffler part has quite a big diameter ( about 4" off the top of my head ).

They shipped without any packing..... Stupid me coated them and now i cant get the end cap off without destroying it. Loud is an understatement