PDA

View Full Version : 600x build starts!

250r_doverdemon
11-13-2011, 08:09 PM
i blew up my 350x so i found a decent 86 xl600r bike for 400 bucks and brought it home and started tearing into her.. il get pics later im busy in the fields right now and with school and what not. id like some tips tho on the swinger right now im thinking cut the front tube outta my 350x swinger and same with the 600 and weld the front tube in the x swinger what do you guys think?

Buster Brown
11-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Sounds real cool. I'll be watch'n. Good luck.

atc007
11-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Well,,,you asked,,Leave it alone and do not chop it up..You can build the 350X into a fire breathing maniac if desired,,and still have ,,,,,Handling! I understand you already have the donor,,but ,That's my 2 pennies. Good luck!

fabiodriven
11-13-2011, 08:57 PM
^^^He's making a lot of sense^^^

But if you insist on using the 600, which I don't think is a bad idea myself, you're not going to want to use the bike frame. The geometry of bikes is not exactly trike-friendly. The frames are too narrow and the rake is wrong. Also, the suspension will have too much travel when you get smaller wheels on it. The frame will hit the ground before the suspension bottoms.

There are a lot of things to think about here, perhaps more than you realize. It's not just tossing the 600 engine in the trike frame or throwing a trike swing arm on the bike. There's a lot more to it.

audioworks04
11-13-2011, 09:03 PM
very well said fabio....building a trike from something that isnt a trike is no easy task. And please do not ruin an atc frame in an attempt to make something that cannot be changed back.

RoscoW
11-13-2011, 09:38 PM
I know tapper did the same build and I know he will tell you it was no easy project

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/113872-Project-500x-sand-machine

Because of the oil reservoir built into the dirt bike frame(on his) you are committed to the bike frame or find a place on the X frame to fit an oil reservoir. This was one of many hurdles I know he had to overcome. Dave's an awesome fabricator and the machine turned out as good as any I have seen but it wasn't quick, easy or cheap.

Ross..

Dirtcrasher
11-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Be prepared for allot of nights scratching your head.

Lots of fabbing/welding/machining etc.

None of these custom builds are easy.

Building a strong 350X engine is cake..........

tapper190
11-14-2011, 06:56 AM
Thanks Ross, yes it was no easy build, but the enjoyment in the end is well worth it! It's like having a 250r and a 350x all rolled into one machine.
I haven't studied the xl version, I know a fellow board member wasn't to impressed with the wiring set-up when he tackled the build. The xr is a lot more easy to work with. If you modify the 350x one, make sure you keep in mind about the sprockets, that was one of my errors in the build. The only reason I used the 350x swinger was because I had one on hand and a back up if the first one didn't turn out, lol.
Good luck with your build and the offer still stands if you want to come over and see the 500x in person.
Tapper

250r_doverdemon
11-14-2011, 04:14 PM
Thanks Ross, yes it was no easy build, but the enjoyment in the end is well worth it! It's like having a 250r and a 350x all rolled into one machine.
I haven't studied the xl version, I know a fellow board member wasn't to impressed with the wiring set-up when he tackled the build. The xr is a lot more easy to work with. If you modify the 350x one, make sure you keep in mind about the sprockets, that was one of my errors in the build. The only reason I used the 350x swinger was because I had one on hand and a back up if the first one didn't turn out, lol.
Good luck with your build and the offer still stands if you want to come over and see the 500x in person.
Tapper

i know the xl does have quite a bit more wiring then the 350x but i dont think itl be too bad, im not chopping up the 350x frame. in fact i want to keep it completely intact so i can build a stroker out of it and my motor but for now this is what i want to do.. as for the rest i read a thread on here ( http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/65413-ATC-600X-...-87-XR-600-Conversion-Project?highlight=600x ) by Sandpuppi101 and ive read it about 3 times now so i somewhat know what im in for.. i know that he said the rake was off but once he put the +5 swinger and 22" tires the rake is only out 3 degrees from the 350x so i was planing on doing that to. the front end aint much as tapper can tell you you need to cut the center tube of the triples and take a peice of pipe that has the same O.D. as the I.D. of the tube and lengthen it by roughly an inch i measured. also the mounts dont look to hard for the gas tank then building a subframe for the rest of er and make the tabs to hold the air box..

250r_doverdemon
11-14-2011, 04:19 PM
i just re-red the thread and it says he used a 200x swinger.. now how big of a difference is there in the front tube part of the swinger in a 200x and 350x? as far as i know all the gen 200xs are the same swingers right? i measured the front tube on the 350x
and the 600 and the 600 is roughly an inch smaller..

tapper190
11-14-2011, 05:40 PM
Is your motor the single carb or the double?
Tapper

250r_doverdemon
11-14-2011, 08:00 PM
double carb.. thats kinda gonna be a pain in the azz cause i almost have to use that air box or need to spend a lot of money making one since i ride in a lot of places where i need the box and lid cant just run a K&N

tapper190
11-14-2011, 10:13 PM
To make the seat look right, the sub frame has to be mounted lower than the bike sub frame, at least that's what I did. I made the bottom part of the box and left the top open. I've been threw some puddles and haven't had any problems. I did switch to the xr600 filter because it was shorter and fit better than the xr500. I also flipped the rubber boot upside down to lower the air filter box.
Tapper

250r_doverdemon
11-15-2011, 09:47 AM
thanks Tapper.. i never considered flipping the airbox but from looking at the pictures from your thread and Snowpuppie101 i figured it would have to be quite a bit lower.. looks like a good 2 inches anyway.. working round this dual carb is going to be a bit of a pain in the azz but im pretty sure i can figure her out without to many problems..