PDA

View Full Version : Been a minute since I've been here. Cylinder base may need cut.

RubberSalt
11-13-2011, 06:23 AM
Well, Long LONG time ago, i ported my first cylinder - bike lost a rod bearing and scored up my top end.. so i bought a new engine. Long story short, I decided to do a bad thing, and open my transfer up so wide, that they no longer fit on my case.

Today, im starting work on that cylinder again. This is for further testing purposes only.

This cylinder has triple ports in the cylinder, and boyesen ports on the intake. I now want to do 2, maybe 3 things to do. First is first, i want to weld up the outside of the triple ports, and make the channels huge, and the ports bigger. The 2nd... the 2nd I've never heard of ANYONE trying before. I want to bridge my exhaust port. I plan on welding a peice of 1/4 angle iron right inside the exhaust. After this, Im going to merge the left triple with the left half of the exhaust port, and the right half of the exhaust with the right triple.

For those of you who have seen my home made pipe.. Ill be using a mig welder + argon this time! lol

If this appears (wont know without running an engine) successful, then i will weld my transfer back up and have the base turned. I will also weld the outside of my boysens and make the bigger (like my current jug), then I will weld up the intake walls and stuff blaster reeds in there(like my current cylinder).
When i had the top end on, it still made 100PSI, my brand new bore on my other jug made 110. So if i can get the base smoothed out(and a little extra take off ;)... ill show ya what Nasty fast looks like. or what nasty but awesome failure looks like lol.

Can anyone cut the base of my cylinder to smooth it out here? maybe i should take my spare case and build the case up and have it surfaced so i can run some monster transfers(or my 78IT Jug ;)

Iceracer
11-13-2011, 01:04 PM
You better measure the outsides of the tripple ports and see how wide they are before opening them into the main eport. If you get too wide you will snag a Ring. @ 90-95 % bore width max. For a bridged port and they better have a. nice smooth transition too.

RubberSalt
11-14-2011, 06:41 AM
Thats the purpose of the bridge - my biggest issue is welding it - the material would expand differently... i may not due the bridge after further research... but i still want to try it!! lol

I know i can build weld up and open the triples up massive, the channels behind are lacking and need to be opened up.