PDA

View Full Version : 350 carrier zerk

twitch101
11-12-2011, 10:53 PM
I ordered a new dual row carrier that has a zerk. I really dont understand how that is supposed to work because its still inside the swingarm. Or is it to prevent the need to pull bearings and do a full service on the carrir.

blkstangman88
11-12-2011, 11:48 PM
i was curious bout the same thing. maybe ull need to cut away a slot to reach the zerk

falloutboy
11-13-2011, 01:21 AM
I thought the same thing when I helped my brother put in his dual row carrier. I think I've seen people cut a small hole in the carrier housing to access the zerk.

audioworks04
11-13-2011, 10:47 AM
No, the idea is not that you need to modify your swing arm. Please do not drill/cut holes in your swingers, they are not designed for this and no reason to destroy an oem. Alot of aftermarket swingarms have openings there so that the zerk can be accessed, also the RAD bearing carrier has the zerk on the side for easy access. All you need to do is once or twice a year pull your caliper and lock nut and slide the carrier out far enough to access the zerk and grease it. The amount of grease that you can fit in there will be plenty to last most of us more than a year. If you ride in the water alot you might need alittle more attention with your bearings.

blue27
11-13-2011, 10:48 AM
your right, it is to easy the service of the bearing but you have to pull the carrier or you can dril a hole in the swingarm(not a slot) and just rotate the carrier to the hole for grease. I recommend finding something to plug the hole like a plastic cap.

jeswinehart
11-13-2011, 11:37 AM
It is alot easier to grease when you have a exposed Zerk. Honda should have installed them in the first place IMO.

See post 8 http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/20344-Wasted-s-on-Magnum-Tapered-Bearing-Carrier?highlight=jeswinehart+350x+grease+zirk

* too bad the older pictures are not viewable*

GeoD
11-13-2011, 04:34 PM
I was going to drill a hole in my swingarm after replacing my stock carrier with a double row. After drilling I was going to tap the hole so I could put a shallow bolt in with a rubber washer to seal it up after greasing. But, I couldn't bring myself to drill the swinger. I decided that if I need to oil it I will pull the carrier out. Hell, my stock carrier lasted 21yrs without greasing. That is until my rear came apart when I was riding it and coal dust, stones, dirt, etc... got in the whole assembly and killed it.

SWIGIN
11-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Those zerks are just there for show, you do know you have sealed bearings right?

If you remove the inner bearing seals then your zerk will do some good.

murfman
11-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Those zerks are just there for show, you do know you have sealed bearings right?

If you remove the inner bearing seals then your zerk will do some good.

^^ This ^^

I did pump it full of grease before I slid it home in the swingarm just to keep the spacer from rusing into a solid blob around the axle shaft. I then slathered the entire carrier with grease before I installed it into the swingarm as well.

atc007
11-15-2011, 10:30 PM
All the newer "good" ones have the zerk on the outside,in between the chain adjuster knobs. They make a WHOLE lot more sense! And generally,,,the boys making these DO remove the inner seals ,,hence the zerk. That's why the aftermarkets don't last near as long unless you go to the ridiculous lengths to grease them...

SWIGIN
11-15-2011, 11:50 PM
No they dont remove any seals.........