PDA

View Full Version : Hoosierlogger's ATC 70 resurection

hoosierlogger
11-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Well I bought this turd a while ago and now that it is getting into winter, it is time to start polishing it up.

I took it all apart and stretched the frame because it was all smashed up from the P.O. hitting the main tube with a hammer in an attempt to straighten it out. Cut out 5 3/4" and put back in 8 3/4 of thick wall tubing that steve0196 turned down on his lathe for me so it would slip in the original frame tube. I welded it in today at work, and shot a coat of spray bomb black on it temporarily. Going to sand blast the wheels, forks, tank, and numerous other little parts tonight and get a temporary coat of paint on them. Ordered a Lifan 140 manual clutch today. It should be in next week some time. I have some work ahead of me on this one.

Someone needs to buy my 200x parts in the classified section so I can spend more money on this.

yamaha driver
11-09-2011, 07:19 PM
you told me about this build. Hope it works out sweet :) only if i had more cash i would buy your parts hahaha

trizilla
11-09-2011, 07:27 PM
what is that motor out of? its not a stock atc 70 engine.

350xx
11-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Yeah, what is that weirdo engine? And see my build if you get the chance. After i get it all going, thinking of selling the 70 engine and getting a lifan 140. Then making a seat latch system so i can kick start it.
Or go electric.
For now, I am just getting it running to play on it for a bit.

Vealmonkey
11-09-2011, 08:01 PM
The pull start conversion isn't that hard, but pull starting with the recoil is a bit of a chore! LOL

hoosierlogger
11-09-2011, 09:07 PM
what is that motor out of? its not a stock atc 70 engine.

The motor in the picture is a C70 passport engine. It has kick and electric start. I played with it for a few minutes and got it to pop like it wanted to start, but the timing is out on it. That motor is for sale by the way.

hoosierlogger
11-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Yeah, what is that weirdo engine? And see my build if you get the chance. After i get it all going, thinking of selling the 70 engine and getting a lifan 140. Then making a seat latch system so i can kick start it.
Or go electric.
For now, I am just getting it running to play on it for a bit.

Ive been watching yours. You are moving along pretty good, just dont do anything cheap to get it done that you will regret later.

I promised the wife that this will not affect the bank account. All of the money that goes into this is stuff I found in the couch cushions and in lying in parking lots. Plus what people have bought from me. It might take me a while, but it will be fun in the end.

hoosierlogger
11-09-2011, 09:11 PM
The pull start conversion isn't that hard, but pull starting with the recoil is a bit of a chore! LOL

I think I am going to hinge the fender on the kicker side if I can figure out how to do it without it looking stupid.

350xx
11-10-2011, 03:14 PM
I think I am going to hinge the fender on the kicker side if I can figure out how to do it without it looking stupid.

I am going to try a hinged system if i can when i ever get to the conversion.

For now, my project is at 109.69+the 100 i payed for it
Total now is 209.69
All that is left is labor to get her going again, and maybe new points.

hoosierlogger
11-10-2011, 04:59 PM
I am at $489 so far. That is
388 for the motor
25 for the bike
10 for spray bombs
66 for bearings

I am sure there will be a little more but shouldnt be too bad.

hoosierlogger
11-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Well I got the forks and rear axle components sand blasted , painted, and installed with new bearings through out. The trike is starting to take shape again. The 140cc Lifan just showed up at my door in a nice white undamaged box. I just need someone to buy some of my 200x stuff so I can but new tires, exhaust, and foot pegs for it. Ill post pictures of where I am at later on today some time.

hoosierlogger
11-16-2011, 04:45 PM
Ok I got the motor mounted in the frame. Chain, shifter, and kicker put on and the hand brake perch converted to clutch perch. Now I got to get a different intake, make some wheel spacers, make up a mounting tab for the coil and the CDI. Tires will be here on Friday. The only way I would have more room to work was if I took it in the bathroom shower. LOL

thestud25
11-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Looking good!!

jfaulkner02
11-16-2011, 10:20 PM
Looking good so far. Im at a stand still on mine for a few days.

350xx
11-16-2011, 10:36 PM
Looking good! Im doing my seat as we speak, i wish the pan didnt have little metal triangles on it because id rather staple this mofo!
Making a template out of paper now, then cutting out the vinyl, then sewing it up, then making slits for the triangles to go through. since they arent sharp anymore, haha.
Just taking my time and doing it right.

hoosierlogger
11-18-2011, 11:27 PM
I didnt have alot of time tonight, but I got 2 tires mounted and front wheel bearings installed. Front wheel is on it now. I played with the intake manifold some. This thing needs cut and rotated then re welded for the big ass Mikuni to clear the gas tank. Either that or beat the piss out of the underside of the tank to make room for the enricher lever to come up. Think Ill work on the wheel spacers tomorrow at work.

350xx
11-19-2011, 12:37 AM
Are you going to cut your plastics?

hoosierlogger
11-19-2011, 07:27 AM
Are you going to cut your plastics?

Either cut it or hinge it, I haven't decided. The plastic has a small crack in the bottom of the right fender, so I might just go ahead and whack it off. This isnt going to see much mud, So I am not too worried about it missing some fender material.

hoosierlogger
11-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Well my first attempt at the wheel spacers was unsuccessful thanks to a POS band saw. I cut my extenders and didnt notice till I was drilling the 5th one that they weren't cut straight. I threw them in the scrap barrel and came home for the day. going to see what I can do with it when I get more time and patience.

350xx
11-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Well my first attempt at the wheel spacers was unsuccessful thanks to a POS band saw. I cut my extenders and didnt notice till I was drilling the 5th one that they weren't cut straight. I threw them in the scrap barrel and came home for the day. going to see what I can do with it when I get more time and patience.

Good luck!

hoosierlogger
11-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Today I put on the carb and intake. I had to make another dent in the tank to get it to clear the ginormous carb. Got the other tire mounted and put on. I also made a bracket to hold the coil and the oil cooler. I have to look into the front wheel a little further. There is something in there making noise like a bearing is bad, but I just put brand new ones in it. Going to look into that when more time is available. Any who here are some pics.

EDIT" I figured out why the front end was making noise. I forgot to tighten the bolts that hold the front wheel to the hub. DUH!!

briano
11-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Does the carb fit better facing the front? On my Piranha 140 mine is facing the rear but I elongated the holes in the intake where it bolts to the head. This way I can tuck the carb right up against the frame and then a few whacks with a hammer the tank fits, and the choke lever is easy to reach.

hoosierlogger
11-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Yeah it fits better facing forward on mine because I stretched the frame 3" If it werent stretched out the air filter wouldnt fit. I tried every position I could possibly put it. I even considered cutting the manifold in two and re-welding it back together, but the Mikuni was just too big for it to work any way but facing forward. This SOB has an enricher instead of a choke. It needs to raise up and the lever just wasnt going to work under the tank. Plus I needed a place to put the oil cooler.

briano
11-20-2011, 11:12 PM
Wait til you ride it, you won't quit smiling. Ya my frame is stretched too about the same as yours. I have an atc 110 motor in a 70, there is a tight fit.

hoosierlogger
11-20-2011, 11:14 PM
Wait til you ride it, you won't quit smiling. Ya my frame is stretched too about the same as yours. I have an atc 110 motor in a 70, there is a tight fit.

Hell I was grinnin from ear to ear just sitting there drinking a beer looking at it tonight.

briano
11-20-2011, 11:21 PM
I have been looking for a free air cr80, I want to put the motor in a 70 frame. I built my big bore 110 powered 70 first, then put the 140 in another one, I thought the 110 was quick till my brother and I lined them up side by side. I was on the 140 and I am about 40 lbs heavier and I was able to beat him on the 110 every time. Now I want to do a two stroke in a 70 frame.

hoosierlogger
11-20-2011, 11:23 PM
I am anxious to see how close this 140 will be to my 200x.

350xx
11-21-2011, 02:46 AM
I am anxious to see how slow a atc70 is vs my 350x :]

hoosierlogger
11-23-2011, 01:45 AM
I got a lot done today. I took it to work and worked on it all day. I finished the axle extenders that Steve0916 started for me. Rear stance is now 4 3/4" wider than stock. It was supposed to be 5" but the band saw didnt cut the round stock straight. Steve put them in his lathe and got them squared up for me. He also bored the hole through them for me. I tapped them and welded them up. I also Welded on some brackets for the coil and oil cooler,hooked up the oil cooler, coil, rear brakes, welded up the broken steering stop, And got it wired. I now have spark. I have to figure something else out for the oil cooler Ill be damned if I didnt put the SOB high enough where it could hit the friggin gas tank. Probably just cut another piece to bolt on to the bracket and the cooler instead of cutting it off and re welding it now that the wiring is all done. Ill get some pics up in the morning. I am going to work on it all day tomorrow too. Hopefully I can be riding it by the evening. (if the foot pegs I bought get here)

Mosh
11-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Did you get the kill switch all figured out then? Just in time for some snow rides...

hoosierlogger
11-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Did you get the kill switch all figured out then? Just in time for some snow rides...

Yeah the wiring was all screwy. I hooked it all up and didnt get anything to happen. then I realized there were two plugs that would fit the CDI. I unplugged the green connector and plugged in the white connector. Then I held the spark plug wire to the head and kicked it. It shocked me so hard I just about pissed in my pants. Then I took the 2 wires out of the 2 pin connector and touched them together and gave her a good kick and it didnt do anything. found the kill start wires.

There will be plenty of time for snow riding. We have had flurries, but nothing that has accumulated yet.

hoosierlogger
11-23-2011, 09:43 AM

Here is yesterdays progress. I need to make the lowering bracket for the oil cooler, put on the foot pegs when they get here, cut the fenders and clean the paint off of them, throttle cable, kill switch, and do something with the seat, and finish the rust removal in the gas tank. Ill probably make a 6 pack rack later too.

atc350xer
11-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Looking great! I must warn you... you'll probably be needing a longer shifter. The ATC foot pegs are bent further forward than pit bikes, so the shifter that comes with the motor is too short to get your toes in there. I think I used a 185s shifter and it worked fine. I also shortened some old 90 pegs (had to re-drill mount holes though) and welded 350x foot pegs on top of them... it was a perfect fit.

hoosierlogger
11-23-2011, 11:30 AM
Yeah I ordered some 90 foot pegs for it from ebay. I was looking at the shifter and thinking it was going to be too short. I think I have an extra 200s shifter in the shed.

hoosierlogger
11-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Well I got the rust out of the tank. Now the problem is there are 2 pin holes in the bottom of it. Looks like its off to town to get a brazing rod.

hoosierlogger
11-23-2011, 06:04 PM
Got the tank patched up and everything is on but the pipe and foot pegs (which I havent got yet). Once I find a tubing bender Ill get the pipe done. Probably be riding it Saturday. Ive still got to clean all of the flaky spray bomb off of the plastics and trim the fenders. Then If I can come up with some more money Ill be hitting the Mosh's up for a seat cover.

BTW those arent runs in the third pic. That is oil leaking out of the cap from when I coated the tank with oil till I get gas in it.

350xx
11-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Coming together!
Mine is done except the pull starter. which i doubt i will ever get. so i think i will just do a block off plate/ tupperware lid, on the recoil mounting plate and push start it for now.

Mosh
11-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Thats looking pretty good. I kind of like the stretched look. I have heard mixed reviews on how they handle like that. Let us know once you ride it.
Holy cow you guys went nutz on the spacers. Very beefy. The ones we make are about 1/2 that in strength.
So you will just run the carb forward then?

hoosierlogger
11-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Thats looking pretty good. I kind of like the stretched look. I have heard mixed reviews on how they handle like that. Let us know once you ride it.
Holy cow you guys went nutz on the spacers. Very beefy. The ones we make are about 1/2 that in strength.
So you will just run the carb forward then?

LOL yeah I saw the ones on ebay and was going after that style. But after they were done I really didnt like the thought of the 7/8" round stock having an opportunity to twist out of there and break the lug bolts. So I found some steel pipe at work and welded it in between them. It wasnt an exact fit but I think I got them centered up pretty good. If I knew of a stronger way to build them I would have went even more overboard with them. Yup carb is going to stay facing forward. The more I look at it the more I like it that way.

What kind of damage are we going to be looking at for a cover? To be honest I am kind of scared to look at the condition of the seat pan the way things have been going. LOL

Mosh
11-23-2011, 08:20 PM
30$ for a plain cover in any color.
Add 20$ for 2 logos on the sides, and 5 for shipping.

Anywhere between $35-$55 shipped.
It will go up if you want more designs.

Pan head sheet metal screws and a screwgun work good if the tabs are missing. We make the covers with enough material to go to stronger steel sections if you need it that way.

hoosierlogger
11-23-2011, 08:39 PM
30$ for a plain cover in any color.
Add 20$ for 2 logos on the sides, and 5 for shipping.

Anywhere between $35-$55 shipped.
It will go up if you want more designs.

Pan head sheet metal screws and a screwgun work good if the tabs are missing. We make the covers with enough material to go to stronger steel sections if you need it that way.

Thanks Mosh, Ill be getting a hold of you two soon I hope.

hoosierlogger
11-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Its alive!!! I bent the pipe to fit tight to the frame, bolted it on, and fired it up today. I didnt ride it very far, just to the end of the drive way and back. Its not the most comfortable thing to ride without plastics or foot pegs. LOL It is definitely lean. I am going to have to open the carb and get a bigger jet on Monday before I ride it too much.

hoosierlogger
12-08-2011, 06:14 AM
Still farting with the carb jetting. I think the jetting is right now, but another gas leak in the tank has sprung up. More to come.

Mosh
12-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Still farting with the carb jetting. I think the jetting is right now, but another gas leak in the tank has sprung up. More to come.

Go get a Kreem kit, and follow the instructions. I had a tank pouring gas out of it, used that and it has been fine for over a year now. I let mine sit with that stuff in it for a few days, and flopped it around out in the sun every few hours.

R-tifacts
12-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Looking good, now thats what I call ram air prob gain like .25hp :cool:. keep the pictures/updates/progress coming!

hoosierlogger
12-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Go get a Kreem kit, and follow the instructions. I had a tank pouring gas out of it, used that and it has been fine for over a year now. I let mine sit with that stuff in it for a few days, and flopped it around out in the sun every few hours.

I used the Kreem in my Harley tank. It SUX!!! I will probably go with the Red Kote (SP?) brand. I have another 70 tank that is pretty bad inside for the one I am going to keep stock. Ill do them both at the same time.

Ive got too much going on right now, so progress is going to be slowed a bit.

sledcrazyinCT
12-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Its alive!!! I bent the pipe to fit tight to the frame, bolted it on, and fired it up today.

Pics of the pipe please!

hoosierlogger
12-21-2011, 08:35 PM
ill get one up as soon as I can. I am really busy right now.

jsmay
01-03-2012, 04:36 PM
any news...updates?

hoosierlogger
01-03-2012, 11:00 PM
any news...updates?

No I have re-directed my available time into getting me 85 200x back in running order. I took the 140 to an off road park and got to ride it for a whole 10 minutes. I tore the rubber bowl gasket on the carb, so I made one out of some paper gasket material. The gas attacked it and the fibers keep plugging the pilot jet. I am currently searching for the correct bowl gasket. Ill post more pics and possibly a video of it when I get it going good.

Bustos82
03-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Got the tank patched up and everything is on but the pipe and foot pegs (which I havent got yet). Once I find a tubing bender Ill get the pipe done. Probably be riding it Saturday. Ive still got to clean all of the flaky spray bomb off of the plastics and trim the fenders. Then If I can come up with some more money Ill be hitting the Mosh's up for a seat cover.

BTW those arent runs in the third pic. That is oil leaking out of the cap from when I coated the tank with oil till I get gas in it.

that looks pretty cool man.

hoosierlogger
04-05-2012, 05:55 AM
Well no real further progress on it yet. Life keeps getting in the way. I did buy a better tank off of Bustos82 for it. I also now have to put new brake shoes on it. The liners came off of the base and when you so much as touch the brake lever they lock up tighter than a ticks butt.

I still have yet to touch the 85 200x either. I need more time in a day.

hoosierlogger
04-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Well a little update here, I changed out the rear brakes, and crapped the transmission all in the same day. Going to tear into it and find out exactly what happened. It wont stay in second gear unless you hold the shifter lever up.

shortline10
04-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Sounds like the famous shift drum stopper broke :lol: located behind the clutch cover !!!!

Well a little update here, I changed out the rear brakes, and crapped the transmission all in the same day. Going to tear into it and find out exactly what happened. It wont stay in second gear unless you hold the shifter lever up.

dirtjunkie85
04-18-2012, 05:05 PM
looks like its coming together!

hoosierlogger
04-28-2012, 03:32 PM
Sounds like the famous shift drum stopper broke :lol: located behind the clutch cover !!!!

I wish that was it. I took the clutch cover off and noticed the wheel was on top of the stopper instead of in the groove where it is supposed to be. I thought oh hell yeah an easy fix. Thats when I grabbed the clutch and it moved up and down. The right side case is busted where the bearing sits. This sucks, Ill order the case and get it back together before TrikeFest.

hoosierlogger
04-28-2012, 03:33 PM
looks like its coming together!
Now it is coming apart.

jb2wheels
07-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Hey Hoosier -

Is that the intake that came with the engine, just flipped around? I have a 125 with a top mount starter going into a TRX70 so the carb has to go forward. The manifold that came with it is giving me fits and I'm looking for options.

Also - how did you bend the pipe? Heat and beat? I'm thinking of trying a conduit bender on mine.

Cool project! THanks!

hoosierlogger
07-31-2012, 05:21 AM
Hey Hoosier -

Is that the intake that came with the engine, just flipped around? I have a 125 with a top mount starter going into a TRX70 so the carb has to go forward. The manifold that came with it is giving me fits and I'm looking for options.

Also - how did you bend the pipe? Heat and beat? I'm thinking of trying a conduit bender on mine.

Cool project! THanks!

Yeah thats the one that came with the motor. I put it on forward because of a lack of foresight when I put the oil cooler. I had to dent the bottom of the tank to get it to fit, but it went in there. I now have a plastic tank on it and aone of those little discs that will let you put the carb on in about 14 different positions.

And you are correct on the pipe heat it and beat it. I heated it with a torch and clamped it in a vice and pulled on it.

Blown 331
07-31-2012, 09:14 AM
So did you buy a brand new motor and the case already broke? Whats up with that?

hoosierlogger
07-31-2012, 06:16 PM
So did you buy a brand new motor and the case already broke? Whats up with that?

Yup brand new motor with about 5 hours on it. I suspect the case broke when the motor kicked back. Most likely it happened at the same time the kick starter lever bent. I wasn't thoroughly amused to have to tear a new motor apart. Then after I got it fixed I blew a tire off the bead and hit a tree root with the foot peg, and busted the clutch cover at trikefest this year. LOL

alexandros
11-20-2012, 12:10 PM
nice project! any update with the rear fender on?

hoosierlogger
11-20-2012, 06:31 PM
Yeah as soon as my wife gets home and tells me what she did with the computer to make it where I cant find them, Ill put them up.

hoosierlogger
11-21-2012, 08:20 AM
Here are the pics I have of it with the fenders on it and all done. The front fender is cut because that is the one that was on it when I got it.

Note to others, Plastic paint is no better than regular spray paint.

Jon Boy
11-21-2012, 04:04 PM
paint might not be worth crap, but i'm digging the color scheme. looking good man. :beer

hoosierlogger
12-17-2012, 09:19 PM
I had to zip tie some of that reflectix foil coated bubble wrap stuff to the bottom of the carb. It kept getting vapor locked.