PDA

View Full Version : 1981 Honda 185s. Carb help needed.

StangLX302
11-06-2003, 11:53 PM
I have a 1981 Honda 185s. It was sitting for awhile and now it will not stay running. I completely disassembled the carb and cleaned everything with Gumout carb cleaner. There was some gunk in there and I got it all out. I'm positive I put it together correctly. I put the carb back on and there is virtually no difference. (My shoulder is KILLING me from pulling so much). Also, I pulled the plug several times and cleaned it. It was getting wet/fouled very quickly.

Anyways, I think I may have "wacked out" all the factory adjustments when I took it apart. About how many turns from 'bottomed' should the pilot screw be? How about the idle screw too? The repair manual wasn't too much help here. They already assume the engine is running and want you to adjust it while running.

Any other ideas that could help me out also?

P.S. I got rid of ALL of the old gas in the whole system and went and got new gas. I even poured a little in the tank and swished it around and dumped it. I also run an inline filter and it is clean.

coolglenn1
11-07-2003, 01:34 AM
make sure dirt dobbers havent stopped up vent tubes,hoses

ejc042
11-07-2003, 09:18 AM
I believe the 185s was 2 turns out on the pilot screw and idle screw gets set by your need.

StangLX302
11-07-2003, 09:32 AM
Cool, thanks guys.

StangLX302
11-07-2003, 02:21 PM
Update:

I went out there this morning and put the pilot screw at 2 turns out, no difference. Still fires up, but dies 5 seconds later. Once again I pulled the plug to make sure I had spark. I have spark, but it's all wet (the plug).

Then I started reading the troubleshooting tips in the book, so, I decide to try some stuff. I checked the timing. It's dead nuts on! OK, so that wasn't the problem.

Then I did a search on here and read about another guy who couldn't get his started. It was suggested that maybe his valves were out of adjustment, so, I did that, just like the book said too. No difference, so, that's not the problem.

A little history:
I has a brand new Honda CDI box. A known to be good used coil, And a brand new primary coil. Also the engine was recently re-ringed, by the previous owner.

StangLX302
11-07-2003, 02:24 PM
:( P.S. Ouch, I think my shoulder is pulled out of it's socket from pulling so much. :|

ejc042
11-07-2003, 02:29 PM
Any difference with the choke on or off? Will it stay running if you hold the throttlle or blip the throttle?

Ph1ngering
11-07-2003, 02:36 PM
I had something similar happen on a 200S..

Check the gas to make sure its good, maybe some stablizer..

Mine would get a spark also, but i went out and bought some new plugs, dropped some gas in the hole, gave her a pull and she was off to the races...

Time and allot of pulling..

StangLX302
11-07-2003, 02:45 PM
Any difference with the choke on or off? Will it stay running if you hold the throttlle or blip the throttle?It will only start with the choke in the 1/2 position. If I hit the throttle, it dies immediatly. I'm trying to start it without the air cleaner on also. It seems to be getting waaayyyy too much fuel because it's spitting.

StangLX302
11-07-2003, 02:47 PM
I had something similar happen on a 200S..

Check the gas to make sure its good, maybe some stablizer..

Mine would get a spark also, but i went out and bought some new plugs, dropped some gas in the hole, gave her a pull and she was off to the races...

Time and allot of pulling..

I got rid of every last drop of the old gas and went up and got 1.5 gallons of new gas.

It's got a brand new NGK plug.

ejc042
11-07-2003, 02:55 PM
It really sounds like timing. Ho wlong ago was the last time you had the bike running? Has any thing been done to it since.

Psyonyde
11-07-2003, 03:58 PM
would those be the same settings for an 83 200e? If not, does anyone know the proper needle, pilot screw, and idle screw positions?
thanks

atc86r
11-07-2003, 04:13 PM
compression check.

Lorrel33
11-07-2003, 05:23 PM
200E carb settings from Clymer's

model # PD 55A
Main jet # 95
pilot 1 7/8 turns out
needle jet clip position 3rd groove
float level 0.55 inches (14 mm)

hondaATCman
11-07-2003, 07:07 PM
Make sure you got an airtight seal on both ends of the manifold or air will leak around, but it sounds to me like you have a stuck float. Check that and what kind of spark do you have? Sometimes you can get spark, but its not enough to light all of the fuel, especially at higher RPM's.

trikeman
11-07-2003, 09:28 PM
Something like this happened to me before, the first time my main jet was not screwed all the way in, and the other time i lost my clip on my needle, just a few things for you to look at.

StangLX302
11-08-2003, 02:35 PM
but it sounds to me like you have a stuck float I'm going to check that next. I was thinking the same thing.

ejc042,

I lined up the 'F' mark on the crank and the line under the pickup cover. It lines up dead nuts. It sat for over a year.

atc86r,

The engine was completely disassembled and re-ringed and completely checked over by the previous owner. I don't have a comp guage, but, it sure feels like it has a lot of compression. I'll get a guage and check it out though if all else fails.

StangLX302
03-13-2004, 06:14 PM
UPDATE:

I know this is an old thread, but, I got discouraged and gave up and let it sit for a while.

It was in fact a float problem. The float level was adjusted too high. I dropped it down a bit and it runs like a brand new machine now!!!!!!!

Thanks for everyone's help.

Matt

Kaysen
03-13-2004, 10:20 PM
How did you adjust the float level? It sounds like you and I have the same problem. Thanks, Kaysen

StangLX302
03-14-2004, 09:35 PM
How did you adjust the float level? It sounds like you and I have the same problem. Thanks, Kaysen

It's kinda hard to explain in words, but, you have to remove the carb, then remove the bowl and bend the little tab on the float that pushes the needle and seat.

eh_tee_see
03-15-2004, 12:53 AM
hey amigo, i just re-built a 200 a few days ago and the thing wouldnt stay running for more than five seconds.. my problem -- valves. perfect timing newly jetted carb i was pulling my hair (and my arm) out. i took of the intake valve cap and adjusted the valves to .002. that solved her. with too tight of valves she wont run, with too loose of valves she'll clap though