PDA

View Full Version : ATC200E starting problems

matt3x
11-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Not too familiar with this machine. Trying to get it running again for my GF's father. The carb leaks badly, the rear brakes don't work, but it has been garage/barn kept its entire life and is in decent shape.

I'm going to grab an ebay carb(the current one has been rebuilt about 3 times with no luck).

As far as the trike not starting, it seems there is no spark. I turn on the ignition, set the kill switch to run, hold the plug against the engine and...nothing, doesn't even heat up a tiny bit. The plug wire and plug are NEW. (using champion plugs. however, I bought a new NGK plug also and for some reason the end that goes on the plug wire does not fit, it's a completely different design). I did some digging on here, and took the CDI box off, tested it with my multimeter, and am not getting any readings off of any of the connections. I'm guessing it's toast. Should I grab a used one off ebay (or a new one if I can find it)?

What else should I look for? All grounds looks good, and the electric start and starter seem to be functioning (just no spark to the engine)

The actual engine kicks over, and it's definitely getting gas (and air, cleaned air filter, all connections look good), just no spark. Replaced both in line fuses, and fuse holders.

ezmoney1979
11-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Although I have nothing to add besides check your stator output, I would like to say this is a great "My trike wont start" thread. You gave plenty of info to work with, and I commend you on that. Im sure someone on here will be of more assistance.:beer

Vealmonkey
11-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Go back over your grounds really well. Make double sure that they are good, not just that they look good. Pull apart all electrical connections. Clean with some contact cleaner and reassemble with some di-electric grease. If you have an owners manual, follow the steps to check all your ignition checks. If you don't have a manual, get one. Nothing will help you better. Check for electical continuity in all your wiring runs from the spark plug wire back. Could be as simple as a broken wire inside the insulation. Best of luck with your repair. Hope this helps a little.

muthey
11-07-2011, 11:36 PM
have you tried the cdi off of your auto x yet? not sure if it is the same but might want to try if it is will give you an idea if it is indeed the cdi that went bad

tri again
11-08-2011, 01:49 PM
I walked the *&&^^% away from one of those after weeks of no spark
and I had a known working parts trike to steal from.

I finally gave up, ripped the battery out to put in something else and for some reason,
I KICKED it over with the kick starter and the sucker threw spark....which it would NOT do with the elec start.

x2 w/ vm.
I've heard of people changing entire wire harnesses only to admit their old ones were probably ok
but buy having to go thru EVERY connection to change the wire harness, they now work.
Stator, pulse gen, coil etc can all be ohmed which may help pinpoint it all too.

Unscrew the spark plug cap and hold the wire itself near the head to see if it sparks.
and work backwards from there.
The kill switch is not really as simple as it seems.
On some models, the cdi gets it ground TO run from the kill switch ground.

Please let us know what you find.
I'm sure a few good trikes have been abandoned because of this particular topic.

You'll get it.
We always do.

matt3x
11-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Definitely going to go back and check over all the grounds and connections. Tried starting it with the pull start, no luck there. Have left the fully charged battery attached however.

Also, I will definitely check my CDI box and maybe even plug wire from my auto-x. The engine/starter from that trike is from a 200M, so I may have some luck on that end. Will update with my findings as soon as I get a chance to tinker more.

Flossyb20
11-08-2011, 02:09 PM
One thing I would check (only because I had the same problem) is the small pin in the end of the camshaft that rotates your CDI advance, there should be one there.....

tri again
11-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Definitely going to go back and check over all the grounds and connections. Tried starting it with the pull start, no luck there. Have left the fully charged battery attached however.

Also, I will definitely check my CDI box and maybe even plug wire from my auto-x. The engine/starter from that trike is from a 200M, so I may have some luck on that end. Will update with my findings as soon as I get a chance to tinker more.

oops, I meant Pull start, not kick.
I've been phasing out my ropers for kickers for this last year.
Yeah, point is. There are some components that are common to manual and electric starting,
like pulse gen, stator, ig coil etc
but generally they will start without a key, or battery or ignition switch etc
Frustrating, for sure, especially when intermittent.