PDA

View Full Version : 250es coil wires

BIG Steve
11-05-2011, 05:05 PM
dads 87 trx250 wont start we think its the coil or plug. i am going to try the ones off my 85 250es before we buy a new 1s.
what i need to know is are the wires on the coil interchangeable? the 250es service manual shows a green wire on one side and a black/yellow wire on the other side but i do not see anything on my coil that shows pos or neg or what wire go where. I marked the ones on my bike so i know what one go where when i put it back. i dont know what color the wires are on my bike because they booth look black. will the coil still work if the wires are switched?

jeswinehart
11-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Steve, on the Bigred (85 thru 87) the black/yellow wire is on the outside. Commonly it is called the trigger wire that will also signal 4 stroke tachs, but I am getting way off topic there (sorry).
The inside wire (one closest to the goose neck/frame area,) is common ground and solid green.
Your coil at the terminal base where the wires plug in, have a dab of paint. You hafta look pretty close at the terminals, where they disappear into the coil. Green of course being for the inner green (ground) wire

No, the coil will not function with wires switched and IMO may take your CDI module out in short order (touchy darn things those c.d.i.'s)

BIG Steve
11-05-2011, 05:48 PM
great thanks i found the green paint on on my coil (terminal farthest from frame) now hopefully tomorrow dads 250trx will have a green wire
thanks for the help