PDA

View Full Version : piston choices

tapper190
11-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Over the winter I'm planning to rebuild a few motors. I was wondering what everyone else has been using in their motors. What's the number one these days? What are the pros and cons?
Thanks...Tapper

Shorty
11-05-2011, 02:42 PM
In what bikes?? 70's? 250r's? 350x's? I run wiesco,OEM,and J.E. . (Mostly wiesco).

SHorty:D

tapper190
11-05-2011, 05:25 PM
It's going to be for the 350x and the 600x (xr600)
Tapper

oscarmayer
11-06-2011, 01:37 AM
wiesco, wiesco, wiesco, wiesco
did i say wiesco?

no one makes a better pisotn for these machines. And in my opinion for ANY machine the best is wiesco...

tapper190
11-06-2011, 06:07 AM
Is that because of thier name or the piston? Sometimes I wonder if it is not just the name that people are buying because everyone knows the name Wiseco. I have wiseco in 2 of my bikes now. One needs to be rebiult already and it was only put together last year. I'm not saying it's the piston that failed because I haven't opened the motor up yet. I am just wondering if there is a new piston in town that has a better preformance. There is a lot of different brands names out there; je, cp, pro-x, wossner and wiseco to name a few. I just don't know what one to pick, lol
Tapper

hoosierlogger
11-06-2011, 06:11 AM
I have used genuine Honda, JCC, wiseco, and Pro-X and so far they all are doing what they are supposed to.

atv innovations
11-06-2011, 08:12 AM
I build a lot of race motors and Wiseco is my choice for years. Just follow the piston to walll spec they give you and you will be very happy with the life of the piston

Shorty
11-06-2011, 04:33 PM
For the 350x's I'd recimend J.E. (The only TRUE forged motor cycle piston I know of), Wiesco (There a cast forged type of piston, meaning they are NOT truly forged, but they are tougher and lighter than stock cast, and are great piston have never ever had a issue with them), CP is a good piston, and I think they're a cast forged product too, but don't take my word for it since I have never used them before. (Most likely a great piston going off of what other people have said about them.)

Shorty:D

tapper190
11-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the input, if there is more fellow members out there with their inputs, please feel free to post up!
Tapper

oscarmayer
11-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Nope i have used many pisotns over the years from may manufacturers. I used to build import drag and road race cars. I from personal expirneces can tell you no one has better quality nor dependability than Wiseco. now keep in mind, you iwll have to properly "prep" the piston before you use it. if not you'll haev hot spots that will cause pre-mature detonation and then BOOM to your motor. (on anyhtign over 10:1 this seems to happen). So if your not sure now to properly prep them, then get the machine shop to do it while they do the bore/hone on the jug. BTW, Never EVER use a stock sizes aftermarket pisotn in a stock hole. always get 1 size larger. For example the stock bore for a 200cc is 65mm. so get the 65.5mm Wiseco piston kit. I do recommend to stay withthe 10.25:1 unless your really goign to do some work to the engine and head with a cam as well to handle the 12:1.