PDA

View Full Version : two qestions re Honda 185s

foster
11-06-2003, 11:34 AM
New rider here, so it's stupid question time, and I got two of 'em.

1) Under the rear axle, slightly to the right, there is a bolt sticking out of the bottom. What's it for? To drain water out of the brakes? I opened it up and water poured out, so . . .

2) Isn't there an air filter in these things? I think I see one under the seat, but it's like a major job to get the seat off -- it's bolted down there tighter than a tank turret. Is that where it is?

Thanks from a true newbie.
FOSTER

ejc042
11-06-2003, 11:53 AM
On the 185s your seat is probably mounted to the fenders. The seat and fenders remove at the same time by a release lever at the back. After this is off the airbox with filter is easy to get to.

foster
11-06-2003, 12:42 PM
Thanks ejc.
I didn't see a release lever, and neither did my two drunken, uh, "assistants."
But maybe we didn't look hard enough. Then again, maybe it's been busted off -- unlikely though since the bike had only one previous owner, and he was a little old man.
I'll search again tonight.

Any idea on that thing that looks like a drainage plug under the rear axle?

Cheers all.

ejc042
11-06-2003, 12:51 PM
Seat latch under rear of fenders(fenders not in picture). #12 located right under rear of fenders.

foster
11-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Excellent graphics.
I don't see my mystery bolt/plug in there, though, though maybe it's #25, (I think the number is 25, it's right under the washer #29 anyway.)
Again, I guess I'll take another look when I get home tonight.
Thanks for your input. Very much obliged.

ejc042
11-06-2003, 02:04 PM
I have a 200s I am partin out and will look to see if I can figure out what the bolt is.
The schematics cam from partsfish.com

Lorrel33
11-06-2003, 04:47 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what it is. My '81 doesn't have a bolt it just has a cutout in the bottom of the brake drum cover in case water gets in there. Clymers manual just calls it a drain cutout.

Russell 350X
11-07-2003, 11:14 PM
First of all what year is the 185S? Mine is a '82 and there is a latch under the rear fender towards the ass end. Your airbox is there and if it is a '82 these airboxes are a pain in the rear, you have to take the whole box out, and undo the little bole in the back of it and pull the filter out. That plug you were talkin about is the brake drain plug.