PDA

View Full Version : 200x kickstarter repair

kookoohead
11-06-2003, 12:17 AM
Hello, I am new to this forum, and am looking for any info on fixing my 85 200x. I have been triking since 1983, when my dad bought a Trimoto 175, then in 1987, I bought my 200x. A few years ago, we also aquired a 1984 big red, as a work trike, on the farm. Anyhew, I have to repair the kickstarter on the 200x, and am asking if anyone has any tips, info, advice, and the such, on this. Thankyou -D

gasoline and whiskey
11-07-2003, 10:59 AM
I may be able to help you with this, I am fixing up an 85 200x now
that had some serious kickstarter problems. is yours slipping or
lever not returning upwards after the kick?

ATCMedic
11-07-2003, 11:09 AM
If you have an 83 or early 84 200x motor you might need to update to the later (heavier duty) internal kickstarter gears. I have done this update many times, and have all of the parts for it. If you need parts or advice on fixing your motor pm me.

kookoohead
11-11-2003, 02:31 PM
Sorry for the slow reply, but busy weekend, and as today is a holiday in Canada, Remembrance day. My kickstarter is slipping. It would slip the odd time for the past while, but still catch, and now it only slips. The lever does come up on its own. Thanks for the advise.

bobr
11-11-2003, 11:48 PM
I have this same problem with a XR200. Wish I knew how to fix it. Bob

kookoohead
11-11-2003, 11:51 PM
Yes, am hoping someone out there has had the same problem. -D

gasoline and whiskey
11-14-2003, 01:38 PM
I am NOT the most experienced bike mechanic but I will try to help you if I can. The first thing I recomend is getting a repair manual for your trike.
read the section on the trans and the starter gears and compare this to
the problem with your atc. the kickstarter has a set of outer gears(easy to get at ) and inner gears, springs, and shaft that require splitting the case to get at. check all the easy stuff first, kickstarter is mounted correctly on shaft, outer gears are good etc. Mine required the internal gears and spring, I am in the middle of the repairs now.
I have heard that Honda Updated the Small spring on the starter shaft,
and (see atc medic's post) there are some updated gears for certain years, .....I dont have all of the info on the new gears yet
I went ahead and replaced my kicker return spring as well just cuz I have it apart. Once you have figured out how serious the problem is contact me
if you have questions on the teardown, (or make a new post, I have learned a LOT! from the members of this forum, very helpfull!)

speed20
11-14-2003, 03:35 PM
*emphasizes* (sp?) MAKE SURE the kickstarter shaft is in its hole in the outer case...if its not, it will turn over hard and will eat the aluminum case...trust me...(bad memory):( also make sure its in neutral when you put the case on...if you need a couple pages from the manual, e-mail me at mc91b1@hotmail.com with subject "Honda 200x kickstarter" or something like that or it will go in my junk mail folder

kookoohead
01-08-2004, 01:01 AM
Hello, Happy New Year, and I have taken apart my 200X, finally. LIttle more fun than first anticipated, but did it. ? A couple of questions. I cannot see any damage to the gears, or teeth, in the clutch mechanism. The teeth are just showing a bit of normal wear, and the springs are both not broken, so could it be that the small spring is either weak, or the large spring is weak. Or replace both. As well, other than the repair manual I have from Clymer, is there any other place to get more detailed pictures of the gears, and timing. I have learned a lot from this forum, and maybe someday, can help someone as much.