PDA

View Full Version : 81 250r

slaughter
10-24-2011, 11:44 PM
So my bro just got an 81 250R and its got some after market parts but we wanted to know if an 85 swing arm will bolt on (since i just found a cheap +6 with the axle) and what other parts are good replacements since 81 parts are kinda hard to find
more pics
the way the shock is on there we need a new way to hook up the air cleaner

Chazz of Blades
10-25-2011, 12:25 AM
81 is right side drive, 85 is left side drive.

slaughter
10-25-2011, 12:40 AM
OOoo lame i didnt even think about that so how about an 83 an 84

Chazz of Blades
10-25-2011, 04:04 PM
It may be possible, I'll wait til someone more experienced with Foolers chimes in.

thestud25
10-25-2011, 04:09 PM
I believe the output shaft is a different length on the 83-84, thus the rear sprocket would probably not line up.

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
10-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Nope won't work if you want a lot of info try air foolers.com

willreed03
10-25-2011, 05:04 PM
There have been a few folks that have fabbed a newer TRX450R swinger and shock to work on the 1st gen 250r. Head over to airfoolers.com and check it out.

slaughter
10-25-2011, 06:15 PM
well it already has a different swing arm but im not sure what kind ill try and get some pics but i just thought that 100 bux for the +6 and and axle was a great deal and didnt want to pass it up

fabiodriven
10-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Um, EXCUSE ME!!!

Slaughter here has asked a question about the first production two stroke three wheeler, and has been directed multiple times by my less experienced brethren to an inferior site. By no means is there anything wrong with Airfoolers.com, but Slaughter is on the BE-ALL, END-ALL forum of the entire three-wheeled ATV community, hands down. There is enough combined knowledge in this forum to do with the world what we wish, when we wish, should the need arise. This question is child's play and there is no reason why he should be directed to any place other than here. Let it be known here and now, this is the place to get answers to questions such as this one. There are members of this forum that belong to other trike forums, but very few members of other trike forums that don't belong to this one. A re-direction is not at all necessary here.

The only swing arms that will fit the first-gen R are swing arms from that respective generation, 81-82. The two years have different swing arms, one with a drum brake set up and one with a disk. There may be differences in the braking system on the frame of the trike itself, I'm not sure. The swing arms, however, will swap from frame to frame.

There is no difference in the output shaft from the first-gen R to the second. The only difference in the engine from the first-gen to the second is the shifter shaft.

A third-gen (85-86) swing arm will absolutely not fit a first-gen machine. Two completely different animals.

thestud25
10-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Um, EXCUSE ME!!!

The only swing arms that will fit the first-gen R are swing arms from that respective generation, 81-82. The two years have different swing arms, one with a drum brake set up and one with a disk. There may be differences in the braking system on the frame of the trike itself, I'm not sure. The swing arms, however, will swap from frame to frame.

There is no difference in the output shaft from the first-gen R to the second. The only difference in the engine from the first-gen to the second is the shifter shaft.

A third-gen (85-86) swing arm will absolutely not fit a first-gen machine. Two completely different animals.

I have been corrected. Fabio is correct, there is plenty of knowledge on here. Albeit, like mine on this subject, bad, but someone like John does know the correct answer and there are many others that do as well.

Good luck on the swinger search and swap and welcome to the club. Post some pics.

slaughter
10-25-2011, 11:54 PM
thanks for the info fabio yea im working on the pics we both work completely diff hours so its hard for us to sink up

slaughter
10-26-2011, 02:15 AM
going to get more tomorrow

Chazz of Blades
10-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Front forks look a bit bent to me, and the front fender is on backwards.

Jason125m
10-26-2011, 03:52 PM
:lol: I love these 81's...

fabiodriven
10-26-2011, 09:52 PM

Why did you stop there? :lol:

In all seriousness, it's got a ways to go. Give 'er hell!

willreed03
10-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Um, EXCUSE ME!!!

Slaughter here has asked a question about the first production two stroke three wheeler, and has been directed multiple times by my less experienced brethren to an inferior site. By no means is there anything wrong with Airfoolers.com, but Slaughter is on the BE-ALL, END-ALL forum of the entire three-wheeled ATV community, hands down. There is enough combined knowledge in this forum to do with the world what we wish, when we wish, should the need arise. This question is child's play and there is no reason why he should be directed to any place other than here. Let it be known here and now, this is the place to get answers to questions such as this one. There are members of this forum that belong to other trike forums, but very few members of other trike forums that don't belong to this one. A re-direction is not at all necessary here.

The TRX450R swingarm and shock DOES fit the 81-82 with minor modifications as it has been done by few individuals. It is 4 or 5 inches longer and provides better suspension in the rear. And you are correct that the bottom ends are essentially the same EXCEPT for the shifter shaft between the 81-82 and 83-84 models.

And as far as directing him to an inferior site...well sir I hardly believe it to be an inferior site but it is a site that is filled with nothing but 81-84 250R diehards. He is looking for information about a great machine so I and others directed him to another source of information. It would be like trying to build a house and only talking to one contractor. The more information you have the more power you have because as everyone knows knowledge is power.

fabiodriven
10-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Ya, the thing is this-

As stated in my rant, there are plenty of members of this site that are members of other sites. Conversely, there are very few members of the other trike sites that aren't members here. My point being, the people who you are going to ask are already on this site. So now you have all the airfooler guys on top of the general population of the triking community to help you. Where do you think Saul started out? ;)

slaughter
10-26-2011, 10:50 PM
ware is that rear fender from

willreed03
10-26-2011, 11:20 PM
I assume you are talking about your white rear fender on your bike right ;) It doesn't look like a first gen aftermarket rear fender it looks like a second gen rear to me tbh. But it doesn't look bad at least not in the pic...you could get a white 2nd or 3rd gen (which is completely different but I think it looks a little sportier but just my opinion and its your toy so you are free to do as you wish :) ) front fender and do a white and red theme...but whatever you do take pics!!!

slaughter
10-26-2011, 11:31 PM
it wouldnt be a big deal but it doesnt fit right it wobbles around to much plus its my brothers trike and wants to change em but it really doenst need to much more the damn thing runs like a bat out of hell

HondaRidr
10-27-2011, 12:54 AM
Those are not 1st gen forks. And airfoolers does have alot of info on the 1st and 2nd gen R's.

fabiodriven
10-27-2011, 09:50 AM
I would definitely get the correct rear fenders for that machine.