PDA

View Full Version : Head gasket leaking. How long to change approximately?

Manns50
10-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Have been working on an 81 200 that I recently picked up that had been setting not running for awhile....couple years maybe. Have rebuilt the carb cleaned the tank,changed oil,new parts seat etc. Has been shaping up nice starts the first pull...the motor had been rebuilt with a new crank about 3 years ago by the previous owner. Couple days ago noticed some oil leaking from the head gasket. Have rebuilt quite a few car engines engines including building a blown 681 hp 331 stroker (Mustang). But not very familiar with atv/motorcyle engines although everything seems really basic on this! Just wondered how quickly everyone would recommend me tearing into this and what sort of things should I replace when in there? I will check all the clearances of course make sure everything is par but any advice would be appreciated. New to this hobby so I'm all ears! Thanks again.

chuckiedog04
10-23-2011, 03:47 PM
you can buy a gasket kit on ebay for like 30 bucks. i am not sure of the quality of the kits though

shortline10
10-23-2011, 04:09 PM
Its a couple hour job if you have the know how and the correct tools . I would re-tork the head and degrease the area leaking and go from their first .

atc007
10-23-2011, 04:23 PM
IF... You end up going in,,Do the base gasket also!!!! They like to leak front right ,just like your head. Post back w any ??'s. We'll walk you thru,,there are supposedly free downloadable shop manuals you can get on here. I have personally never used them though. Links off the home page. Good luck.

Manns50
10-23-2011, 08:19 PM
Ok I'll try and retorque the bolts in the morning and clean that area off. I recently had a bolt back out of the pickup in the cdi and it bound up and broke the tabs off the advance weights causing the spark timing to go haywire when I was Riding it...could this have caused a head gasket problem do you think or is it just the fact it's getting use after setting for so long?

tri again
10-24-2011, 06:34 AM
Ok I'll try and retorque the bolts in the morning and clean that area off. I recently had a bolt back out of the pickup in the cdi and it bound up and broke the tabs off the advance weights causing the spark timing to go haywire when I was Riding it...could this have caused a head gasket problem do you think or is it just the fact it's getting use after setting for so long?
Good question.
I guess if the timing was off it could cause detonation but that usually blows holes in pistons
but I guess any radical increase in compression could affect the head gasket.
We ARE talking about the thing under the cover that says 'cdi'? right?

They get full of some red rust dust so it's good you got in there to clean and lube.

Yeah, my question, like yours would be
will the head come off with the engine in the frame?
007 said base gasket too.
Hang the timing chain so it doesn't fall down?
Heard of lots of trouble people have getting the cam chainwheel back on for some reason.

good time to replace chain and guide rails too?
those kinda questions help me decide how much trouble I'll be in.
Are there.any special tools needed or oddball bent wrench.
I know there's a funny cap screw on the 90's that cover an oil feed to the head.
Be very very careful with gasket sealer, if any is needed.