PDA

View Full Version : Big Red 250es questions

matt86200x
10-21-2011, 05:50 PM
So i pick up this 85 big red from a guy for 425. Kickstart would not engage and the brushes were gone in the electric start. Long story short i have been waiting for awhile to put together my 86 250es that is in a million pieces. So i will rob the trx 300 motor/ 350x carb that i had set aside for that project. Everything was going smooth till now! can't get the engine outta this thing?? everything is disconnected, i got my bud to use a large flat head and lever the driveshaft back towards the rear and i stood over the bike like i usually do then just slowly wiggle the motor out. I cant figure it out.? any suggestions?

chuckiedog04
10-21-2011, 06:11 PM
it may sound dumb, but is the oil drain bolt stuck inside the frame? like so you cant slide it

dougspcs
10-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Are you trying to take the motor out thru the left or right..you might think to go thru the right.

But the truth is it will go if you use take it to the left side..

Stonewall
10-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Are you trying to take the motor out thru the left or right..you might think to go thru the right.

But the truth is it will go if you use take it to the left side..

Lol, I spent 20 minutes trying to get one out the right (exhaust) side before I figured out you're suppost to go the other way... You kinda have to tilt it foreward and then left, and turn it sideways to get it out. It's a booger to get though.

matt86200x
10-21-2011, 09:15 PM
Ya i took the left side foot peg off and i usually take it out the left. I just cant seem to get it out and i don't have the special socket type thing to take the swingarm off.

rugman316
10-22-2011, 12:47 PM
I have taken the engine out of a 250sx 3 times and it seems to go in alot easier then it comes out. I always take it out and put it in throught the exhaust side. I am usually by myself when I go to take them out so I found its just easier to take the valve cover off and then it comes out like nothing. The time it takes to take the 12 or so bolts outs and the oil line off is less than I spent fighting with it the first time.

matt86200x
10-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Well i got the motor out the left side finally. Thanks for the help guys