PDA

View Full Version : 200x Clutch Help!!!!!

YoungJay
10-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Need some help never done a clutch rebuild before or even thought about it, I bought a 200x from a guy clutches are burnt out, he said his kids rode it and didn't know how to use the clutch so it burnt out. Any one have any good ideas on a good clutch kit and what should i get and if its hard to change it out or not? any info would help thanks!

Lil Earl
10-20-2011, 10:44 PM
i would take a look at it and see how much "meat" there is left on the plates, and maybe you could sand them down

dougspcs
10-21-2011, 06:48 AM
Forget sanding them, if it's been burned and you want a decent riding life replace. Why waste the time to open it if all you're gonna try is a 'Gyver fix!!

OEM kit is around $80-$100 and you can do it about 2 hours. Get the manual from the World Class help section.

Follow the instructions..you can get around the need for the special tool to remove the clutch if you have an impact gun. Then you can hold the clutch basket with you hand and spin the nut off.

Soak your plates in oil before you install them!! When I did my 350x I didn't have too much issue with it, but alot of guys say to check the clutch basket dogs for wear and smooth the bur edges with a file if needed before installing you new clutch plates.

Take you time not to break anything..

hoosierlogger
10-21-2011, 07:20 AM
I put a Barnett dirt digger clutch kit in my 84 200X. It is a Kevlar clutch that is not too expensive on epay. I love it.

YoungJay
10-22-2011, 02:25 PM
thanks for the info and special tool? what is it that i need? sorry never done a clutch and never had to take one apart lol

ctbale
10-23-2011, 09:46 AM
the only special tool you will need is the $10 socket. When you pull the 6mm bolts with the 10mm heads, like the manual says, go slow and keep it even, I broke the little plate that they go thru. its an ez job, and line up the punch marks on the kicker gears. manual explains it perfectly, I just did mine a few days back. should clean out that filter too

dougspcs
10-23-2011, 04:13 PM
thanks for the info and special tool? what is it that i need? sorry never done a clutch and never had to take one apart lol

The special tool that is referred to in the manual is used to lock the clutch in place so you can remove the securing nut without is wanting to spin..

Just get hold of an impact gun..the short quick hits from the impact will allow the nut to undo while you hold in with your hand.

YoungJay
10-24-2011, 01:48 AM
so the clutch going into the case cover like the wire going into the case cover running to the hand clutch that just pops off correct i looked in the manual but i dont see it =\ am i blind or somthing

YoungJay
10-26-2011, 09:53 PM
Ok so i took the side cover off kickstart gears ect. and i cant get a socket to fit in for the lock nut what is the special tool called so i can buy it it says its 20 x 24mm in the manual is all so is it a key socket? or what im confused here sorry:( just looking for some help. clutch and oil lock nuts holding the clutches in so i can't replace them.

hoosierlogger
10-27-2011, 05:20 AM
I took a die grinder to an old deepwell socket and made the 4 tabs to fit in the nut. It worked great.

ctbale
10-27-2011, 05:40 AM
http://dratv.stores.yahoo.net/clutnuttool4.html

by far the cheapest one you will find, $8 shipping, but I always try to max out that $8. plugs, fuel filters, fuel line, valve seals ect, ect ...

with the pic, you could make one too, nice he shows the measurements. great tip HL!!

CRAZY70MAN
10-27-2011, 05:44 AM
Ok so i took the side cover off kickstart gears ect. and i cant get a socket to fit in for the lock nut what is the special tool called so i can buy it it says its 20 x 24mm in the manual is all so is it a key socket? or what im confused here sorry:( just looking for some help. clutch and oil lock nuts holding the clutches in so i can't replace them.

There is a special notched socket Honda makes for removal of the nuts. You can try and make your own or just buy one for cheap.I would advise taking some pics step by step as you go if this is your first clutch. It will help you reassemble along with the manual. You should use a torque wrench as well to properly tighten all back up to spec. Here is what the tool looks like.... http://search.aol.com/aol/search?enabled_terms=&s_it=comsearch50&q=honda+atc+clutch+nut+socket Just make sure you get the right part number as there are different ones available.