PDA

View Full Version : scrambler 250 update.....

Aregistereduser
10-20-2011, 08:42 PM
soo i finally got my truck fixed and made it out to pa to pick up a scrambler... was gonna upload photos tonight but was too busy.
but when i do ill make sure to take lots of em.
these things are a pain in the butt to work on. heres some cons ive found.
-starter is under the engine, just above the skid plate practally resting on it.
-the back suspension on these things seem stiff, compare to the front which just squishes.
-engine bolting is very difficult to get off, its a rubber grommet you could say, which along the lines of its life, got ripped so the top of the engine shakes and moves everywhere so now i must rig something up to hold it
-the gear selector is down low on the right side, like on a big red 200es but instead of a stick its a circular disk thats vertical.
i would list some pros but as of right now i have to figure out why my engine isnt getting spark, and then swap it into a 85 frame. so this will take tons of time for someone like me to finish.
(forgot to sum up all the problems i encountered on the machine)

so while i was going over it, the gear selector was snapped and welded back, adding 1/3rd of a inch to it thus rendering it unable to lock into the slots to keep it in the gear, the front sprocket is chewed and appears to be hitting on part of the frame? the rear suspension coil is being held with a unstock bolt, cant seem to figure out where the headlight frame bolts, some of the wiring is cut but id say 97% is un touched, the last thing is that grommet that holds the engine in place. but im very confident ill be able to get one of the frames up and running (i have a 85 with a tranny in it and thats it) and if anyone can please give me some advice on how to put the carbuerator on the engine? the carb is huge! and cant seem to find where it bolts. thanks for reading. and any help given.

Aregistereduser
10-20-2011, 09:11 PM
also, my trike is missin the key ignition so is it possible the reason it isnt getting spark is cause the wires are not hooked up and switched to on?

jeswinehart
10-20-2011, 09:31 PM
do you have the manual for the P-3 ,,, I might have asked you this before

Aregistereduser
10-20-2011, 09:45 PM
do you have the manual for the P-3 ,,, I might have asked you this before

no i do not believe you have. but i dont have the manual either, though i should probably ask the guy i purchased it from if hes got it kickin around.

jeswinehart
10-20-2011, 10:03 PM
yeah, see if he has one and if he don't I can make copies from my loose leaf one and mail out to you.
NOT the whole manual, just the pages you request. Perhaps another board member has on file PDF style
Yes, it is a general consensus the Polaris trikes are terrible to work on. If you do replace the starter, get the bendix too. I don't think you are gonna want to take all the stuff a part needed twice.
I have info at work on what I found to be the best pricing to get starter + bendix out of Indianapolis.
If I recall you can get to 2 of the bolts holding the starter in, then you gotta start taking both sides apart to get to the other 3 or 4
The carb is secured by air box, which is bolted into place.

Lil Earl
10-20-2011, 10:28 PM
everything you are saying matches up to my dad's old 1993 Polaris trail boss. it is a quad, but the starter was at the bottom of the motor, the motor mount was almost like a bolt with a hockey puck in the middle, but to order one is pretty cheap. then the gear shift is the same, from what i can see from pictures on like. his rear suspension was real stiff as well. so i think most of your problems are very fixable. those trail bosses can go for pretty cheap so if you want to get one for a parts bike it should really help you.

jeswinehart
10-20-2011, 10:33 PM
yep, your are right Earl about many of the trail Boss parts will interchange, but mostly the 3 early model year trail boss's , 85/86 or 86/87 ?

Lil Earl
10-20-2011, 10:36 PM
i have never dealt with the early trail bosses. and i have been through a lot of polaris's, they might be similar, they might not, but from what i have gathered they seem to be.

MonroeMike
10-20-2011, 10:46 PM
I have a P3 PDF manual, let me get it uploaded somewhere and I'll send you the link.

Here's the service data for now.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/127123-Polaris-Scrambler-quot-P3-quot-Service-Data

jeswinehart
10-20-2011, 11:22 PM
I have a P3 PDF manual, let me get it uploaded somewhere and I'll send you the link.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/127123-Polaris-Scrambler-quot-P3-quot-Service-Data

Every single person that logs into 3ww should automatically leave MonroeMike positive feedback.
Thank you Mike ! john

just ben
10-21-2011, 12:00 AM
Every single person that logs into 3ww should automatically leave MonroeMike positive feedback.
Thank you Mike ! johnagreed! he has helped me personally and I have seen the help he has given countless others. He is a huge asset to the site

hillbilly 200x
10-21-2011, 08:59 AM
If I am right I think some parts off the early popo trail boss will work with our atc.

Aregistereduser
10-21-2011, 03:28 PM

thanks mike!
and as of right now gonna head up to the garage(after printing the wiring diagram) and get to work, photos will be posted later tonight.

Aregistereduser
10-22-2011, 03:56 PM
ughh well i dont know whats harder to do fix this trike or get a photo bucket album set up. anyways heres the link http://s1181.photobucket.com/albums/x426/atcman123/3%20wheelers/

2 of the photos you will see the 2 rubber pucks that the engine bolts to and in the other how the 85 used a plate to bolt to instead of bolting to rubber.
(edit)- i was looking over old diagrams of engine mounting and it appears the 85 and 86 were the same? could someone please chime in and tell me if they both used rubber pucks? cause while i was over looking mine it appeared the 85 bolted from the bottom of a plate to the bottom of the engine.
also anyone like the chevy oiler cap? haha.