PDA

View Full Version : 1981 Honda ATC 200 Chain Slop

nas
10-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Hi guys, I did a search but didn't come up with an answer. So in the process of cleaning up my 1981 Honda ATC 200, I went to adjust the chain because there was way too much play in it. I loosened the 4 axle carrier bolts, then adjusted the tensioner. Even with the tensioner bottomed out, there did not seem to be any less slop in the chain.

So I removed the chain and counted the links at 45, which is correct according to the manual. I can't imagine that the chain has stretched a couple links worth to prevent proper tensioning. The previous owner did fabricate a hitch that bolts to the frame in a couple places, I will remove that and see if it helps. I am able to rock the axle carrier back and forth a bit, but no more than half an inch. Seems like there should be more adjustment for the chain than that.

I'd really like to get her back up and running for this weekend. Any thoughts? I'll clean up the chain and oil it while I have it apart.

PS - I noticed that the rubber boot between the air box and the carb is torn. I'd like to replace this, any suggestions where to source this??
Thanks in advance!!

dougspcs
10-20-2011, 01:45 PM
The chain definitely could be that worn/stretched..I do that to mine on my 350 in one day of hard riding in heavy mud.

Grasp the chain over the large sprocket and pull it up..if you can lift the chain off the sprocket then the chain is screwd..replace!! Running with a badly worn chain will just wear out your sprockets faster!!

On the air box boot..check the classifieds section. Lots of guys with parts for sale.

hoosierlogger
10-20-2011, 02:09 PM
A new chain is less that $25. It is recommended that you replace the chain and sprockets as a set. There is a seller on fleabay that sells them at a reasonable price for both sprockets and the chain. If you decide to cheap out and just buy a half link for it, it will get you by for now, but you will be in this same boat just a little bit down the road.

chuckiedog04
10-20-2011, 04:08 PM
if you refuse to buy a new one, grind a link off

hoosierlogger
10-20-2011, 07:36 PM
if you refuse to buy a new one, grind a link off
Then it will be too short, and you will have to use a half link.

chuckiedog04
10-20-2011, 09:55 PM
i dont know. when i had my 81 the chain got so stretched that with the tensinor as far as it could it still was really loose. i grinded a whole link off and it still worked. just my opinion.

hoosierlogger
10-21-2011, 07:26 AM
One of my 200S had alot of slop so I took a link out and then it was too short. It was an 85, and maybe it didnt have as much adjustment as an 81. But really the correct fix is a new chain and sprocket set.

nas
10-21-2011, 07:58 AM
Last night we ordered up a new chain/sprocket set, as well as a new filter. Hoping to have her all tuned up and adjusted next week :-)

hoosierlogger
10-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Last night we ordered up a new chain/sprocket set, as well as a new filter. Hoping to have her all tuned up and adjusted next week :-)
Good on ya for not cheaping out. You wont have to mess with it for a long time now.

chuckiedog04
10-21-2011, 01:11 PM
agreed, thats the way to go.

nas
10-21-2011, 01:25 PM
I just bought a set on eBay for $50, I am hoping the quality is decent. I'd rather spend a bit more for quality parts than throw my money away. It's a nice trike and has been cleaning up very nicely. I'm kinda partial to the mirrors :-p

nas
10-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Ugh, I hate waiting! The little time that I have spent with this machine has been a blast! I've been cleaning/polishing up the metal while waiting for parts to arrive. I pulled the headlight and cleaned up the metal trim, cleaned up the handlebars, and am working on the mirrors now. I haven't really seen many with the side mirrors, are they uncommon?