PDA

View Full Version : Should I trade my 88 XR 250r for a 82 ATC 250r

Sneakers
10-20-2011, 01:44 AM
Hi I just bought a totally rebuilt XR 250 four stroke dirt bike for 1200, problem is I wanted a ATC 250r and looked at one it was a 1984 (1200 also) but in really rough shape, hence I picked up the bike. So I posted to trade the bike for an ATC and someone responded that he has a 1982 ATC 250r, new piston and tires about a year ago, he has owned it for 6 years. Going to look at it tomorrow... I used to have a ATC 200X but sold it years ago, and I miss the three wheel experience big time, so what do you guys think... Sound like a good trade?

Motorious
10-20-2011, 02:39 AM
Do trikes really go for that much money in your area?

Where I live (Nevada), trikes are pretty cheap, and if you wait long enough you can get a pretty nice third gen R or Tri-Z for around $1200. Tecates seem pretty rare around here though, and when you do see them for sale they always seem to want way too much $.

Wait a minute...what is the exchange rate for Canadian $'s to American $'s? Last I looked I thought they were roughly the same.

Anyways, I guess it all depends on what the going rate in your area is, but if I'd just spent $1200 on a bike I'd want to trade it for a trike of comparable value, and in my neck of the woods a first gen 250R in good shape goes for about $500-$700. Hell, there's a cl ad for a runnning first gen R here that came out a couple days ago going for $350 (although it looks to be a little rough, and if you look close, the forks appear to be a little bent):http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/2648768535.html

I'd prefer to own at least a 2nd gen R because the skinnier front tire handles much better than the fatter tired front end of the 1st gens. 3rd gen R would be the best performer though. If I were you I'd wait for a better deal to come along.

Good hunting, and :welcome: to 3ww.

250rRoostmaster
10-20-2011, 09:38 AM
The 82' would have to be in pretty good shape for me to do that trade.

Sneakers
10-20-2011, 09:45 AM
Hey Motorious thanks for the reply, and the information. I looked at an 84 ATC 250r for 1200 bucks before buying the bike and wow what a piece of junk it was, he had hockey tape keeping the off/on switch in the on position and when he turned it off he just jammed it into first gear to stall it out. Seemed to be treating it a little rough for me :) So that is the only other one that I can compare the 82 ATC 250r too, but the fella was busy last night and I didn't get to check it out, he might be changing his mind. The 1984 guy told me he bought a really nice 350X in Washington State, went to bring it home and the Canadian Border (Customs) refused entry of the trike because they are banned! He had to sell it in Washington State... Anyways I will keep everyone posted on the trade as I really want to get back into three-wheeling :)

Motorious
10-22-2011, 01:03 AM
Just so you all know I'm not blowing smoke...this just popped up for sale on my local craigslist ("86 atc250r it has a brand new top end with wisco racing piston and rings, this bike is fast. I am the original owner and I do have a title, asking 1300 obo"): http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/2660840409.html

Hard to believe that joker was trying to sell you that POS '84 250R for $1200.

I'm not familiar with Canadian law, but from what I understand it tends to be way more regulated than the 'States. That being said that story the guy told you about buying the 350X in Washington St and not being allowed to bring it across the border sounds kinda fishy to me. :crazy: Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought the trike ban only applies to new machines being manufactured, not old ones being bought and sold. I dunno, maybe it's different in Canada, But I kinda get the feeling the guy was trying to BS so you'd be more apt to buy his overpriced junker. At least that's what I'm hoping. :idea:

If I were you I'd try and be patient and wait for a fair deal/trade to come your way. I got a little ansty when I bought my '83 200X for $600 and kinda got burned. If I'd waited a little longer better deals were right around the corner. Although I love my X, I could have had a nice project Tri-Z for the same amount of money, or a nice 3rd gen 250R for a few hundred more.

Anyways, good luck in your search, I hope you score on the 3 wheeler you are looking for.:TrikesOwn

Scratt
10-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Coming from Canada I know what the Prices are like and for that price it's not bad just make sure it's really clean. There is better deals but you would have to be pretty patient. I check kijiji daily for trikes and you do get the occasional awesome deal. I wish I could take a trailer to the states and go pick up like 6 bikes on one load. Most people who aren't like from around here don't realize that like an alright running 3rd gen 250r goes for like $2000

Motorious
10-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Wow. I guess that old realtor saying "location, location, location" really applies here.

So can you legally import a trike to Canada from the states?

350xx
10-22-2011, 01:38 PM
That 86 looks nice!

Motorious
10-22-2011, 04:55 PM
Yeah, if I had the money, I'd be all over that like flies on...well you know what...:naughty:

Sneakers
10-25-2011, 12:51 AM
Hey here is the update to my original post, I went to look at the 1982 ATC 250r today and it was looking a little rough, I decided to pull out of the deal. The fella was very understanding and said I should shoot him an offer. I indicated I would send him a text message once I figured out how much I thought the repairs would be. So for the heck of it, I felt 300 bucks would be reasonable, meaning the wife wouldn't kill me today anyways :) Then I had a great idea, go 250 and he will say no and the issue is over. Well he fired back a text at 275, then said ah just come and get it for 250. Hey that is a buck a CC. It started and he took it for a rip so I know it runs. Needs new plastics, and a new rear axel, he also tossed in 3 tires, one on a rim. I'm sooooo happy to have a three wheeler again :)

captainweezy
10-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Hey here is the update to my original post, I went to look at the 1982 ATC 250r today and it was looking a little rough, I decided to pull out of the deal. The fella was very understanding and said I should shoot him an offer. I indicated I would send him a text message once I figured out how much I thought the repairs would be. So for the heck of it, I felt 300 bucks would be reasonable, meaning the wife wouldn't kill me today anyways :) Then I had a great idea, go 250 and he will say no and the issue is over. Well he fired back a text at 275, then said ah just come and get it for 250. Hey that is a buck a CC. It started and he took it for a rip so I know it runs. Needs new plastics, and a new rear axel, he also tossed in 3 tires, one on a rim. I'm sooooo happy to have a three wheeler again :)

Thats awesome!

badass350x
10-25-2011, 10:25 AM
That's great.

Motorious
10-25-2011, 01:46 PM
WAY COOL MY BROTHER!

Now let's see some :pics: