PDA

View Full Version : Cagiva jigs have been found!

TrickyDickII
10-19-2011, 04:52 PM
This is unbelievable! So over the past years I've always wished we still had the jigs we used to make the Cagiva swingarm, carrier, tailsection and other parts. Dad had always told me they were scrapped a long time ago. So last night Dad calls me and tells me that the guy he sold them to had them for sale in his front yard. I told him I thought he scrapped them. He said he sold them to the guy in '85 and thought the guy was going to scrap them since he was a salvage man. To come across these 26 yrs later is crazy! So Dad called him and is supposed to pick up 4 jigs today. Not sure yet which ones they are. He was laughing saying we can now start Tricky Dick's back up.

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
10-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Go for it the world needs more 3wheelers. lol

Billy Golightly
10-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Holy mackerel,talk about slim chances! Thats pretty amazing news!

Xpress
10-19-2011, 05:10 PM
More Cagivas in the future then?

TrickyDickII
10-19-2011, 05:25 PM
More Cagivas in the future then?

No, probably not. Besides, it's not like there are '84 Cagiva WMX 250's everywhere. I just think it's cool to have the original jigs.

HuffieVA
10-19-2011, 05:41 PM
No, probably not. Besides, it's not like there are '84 Cagiva WMX 250's everywhere. I just think it's cool to have the original jigs.

So if someone was able to come up with an 84 or corresponding year WMX, would there be any chance of a swing arm / sub frame being built?

broncobeast32
10-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Now, that I would be interested in!

Vealmonkey
10-19-2011, 06:02 PM
This is the kind of thing that I get fired up about! Things like this are super cool. I would be really curious to what your dad sold them for or picked them up for, but it's really none of my business. I hope your dad got all the jigs this guy had. It would be cool just to have them. But it sure would be really trick to find a bike and build the parts needed to trike it out. I know OC250r is probably reading this and drooling if he hasn't already contacted you! LOL Any of the old jigs that made these aftermarket trikes and possible would be really cool to have. Even though they would only be enjoyed by a few of us goofs who really like this kind of stuff. You on the other hand, have a more serious tie to these parts than most any of us ever will. Congrats to you and your dad for finding these and I serious hope he got all the jigs that he could get from this guy. If not, please think about buying and selling to some people on here so we too may be able to have a piece of history.

El Camexican
10-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Suggest you give them to the Smithsonian so I can go check them out next summer :) Well, maybe not, but PLEASE post photos ASAP. Thanks in advance!

Hoosier_Daddy
10-19-2011, 06:25 PM
That is very cool!!

bkm
10-19-2011, 07:07 PM
So if someone was able to come up with an 84 or corresponding year WMX, would there be any chance of a swing arm / sub frame being built?Rodd, I know this is a huge pipe dream, but I was wondering the same thing.

HuffieVA
10-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Rodd, I know this is a huge pipe dream, but I was wondering the same thing.

Well, the timing is right, I just snagged a Cagiva Jersey/Pants on ebay and I do have a new red lo-pro Tecate fender... I was actually doing some searching for a Cagiva bike over the weekend, closest I found was in Tuson (a bit far) then today this pops up, kind of cool if you ask me...

Only problem is... the gear fits my wife and not me...

Chazz of Blades
10-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Fit it does.

You know those threads that you see the title to, and your heart skips a beat? I'd never in my life be able to afford one, but there's few things I'd like to live to see more than old school, custom trikes like the Cagiva remade.

hoosierlogger
10-19-2011, 08:43 PM
Fit it does.

You know those threads that you see the title to, and your heart skips a beat? I'd never in my life be able to afford one, but there's few things I'd like to live to see more than old school, custom trikes like the Cagiva remade.
You can say that again LOL

mirthgrinder
10-19-2011, 09:25 PM
All I can say is ...WOW! How about offering the Jigs to us mere mortals?

MG

Cagiva Kid
10-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Punch me out another 125 when you get a chance will ya.:naughty: Did he happen to have those 3 new kits that were close to those jigs at one time too? Now THAT would really be unbelievable.

Fungo Wizard
10-19-2011, 11:32 PM
I am stoked you are in my back yard here and can hopefully see them in person!!!!

JustEnough
10-19-2011, 11:46 PM
What is a Cagiva?

Eric250R
10-20-2011, 12:23 AM
Speechless.......and you know how badly I need a swinger and subframe...:naughty:

HuffieVA
10-20-2011, 12:25 AM
What is a Cagiva?

Cagiva is the company that bought Husqvarna and Ducati, in the 80's they made dirt bikes, and a company known as Tricky Dicks converted some of their bikes (as well as others) into top of the line three wheelers are highly collectable... (there is a lot of info on this site if you search for it)

Orangecnty250r
10-20-2011, 06:00 AM

That's great news Andy!!! Clean them up... set them up in your shop for display while you complete your builds!! A few parts here and there to restore what's out there but you would just dilute the authenticity of your original machines by producing them for Non original machines!

Oh tell me about the lack of 84 cagiva WMX's...I have been looking for a donor motor for extra parts for let say....3 years now!!! Building the cagiva has been one of the toughest builds to date. The motor was just about done two weeks ago and I am now trying to find a few more clips, waiting on a plate from Italy, and missing one more bearing!! This has been years finding this stuff!! I thought I would be picking up the motor and finishing the cagiva around now so a conservative estimate is that it will be done by spring!!

If Andy werent doing this I would be all over collecting and documenting every cagiva bit...Thats why I slacked off my cagiva webpage. No one is more appropriate than Andy for the "Cagiva Mission"

Andy, I also had some materials out for the Tricky Dicks banner again....I havent forgotten about that....20 active builds plus 3 jobs.... things get hectic here:lol:!!

Now with My TIGERS and FRANKS collection stay tuned...its getting pretty wild! I Just hope I can get to show Kelvin Franks a few pictures of what I have going by spring:D

250rRoostmaster
10-20-2011, 09:33 AM
What are the odds to actually come across that again 20+ years later!!! Amazing!! Would like to see some pics of the jigs

TrickyDickII
10-20-2011, 12:20 PM
So if someone was able to come up with an 84 or corresponding year WMX, would there be any chance of a swing arm / sub frame being built?

No, I'm not interested in building kits.

TrickyDickII
10-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Suggest you give them to the Smithsonian so I can go check them out next summer :) Well, maybe not, but PLEASE post photos ASAP. Thanks in advance!

I probably won't get them picked up until maybe December. I'll post pics as soon as I get them.

TrickyDickII
10-20-2011, 12:31 PM
This is the kind of thing that I get fired up about! Things like this are super cool. I would be really curious to what your dad sold them for or picked them up for, but it's really none of my business. I hope your dad got all the jigs this guy had. It would be cool just to have them. But it sure would be really trick to find a bike and build the parts needed to trike it out. I know OC250r is probably reading this and drooling if he hasn't already contacted you! LOL Any of the old jigs that made these aftermarket trikes and possible would be really cool to have. Even though they would only be enjoyed by a few of us goofs who really like this kind of stuff. You on the other hand, have a more serious tie to these parts than most any of us ever will. Congrats to you and your dad for finding these and I serious hope he got all the jigs that he could get from this guy. If not, please think about buying and selling to some people on here so we too may be able to have a piece of history.

I always thought it would be cool to "modernize" one. Alum swinger, inverted forks, etc. But I can't even find time to restore the ones that I have. So it's just cool to dream. :)

TrickyDickII
10-20-2011, 12:35 PM
Well, the timing is right, I just snagged a Cagiva Jersey/Pants on ebay and I do have a new red lo-pro Tecate fender... I was actually doing some searching for a Cagiva bike over the weekend, closest I found was in Tuson (a bit far) then today this pops up, kind of cool if you ask me...

Only problem is... the gear fits my wife and not me...

I think I have that exact same shirt. Nice gear! Yeah, I saw that Tucson bike. It was pretty clean, but it's sold.

TrickyDickII
10-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Punch me out another 125 when you get a chance will ya.:naughty: Did he happen to have those 3 new kits that were close to those jigs at one time too? Now THAT would really be unbelievable.

LOL...I bet you'd like another one. No, those kits were at another guy's shop. It would be incredible if I came across those again. And the guy that stole them.

TrickyDickII
10-20-2011, 12:44 PM
I am stoked you are in my back yard here and can hopefully see them in person!!!!

Come out anytime.

TrickyDickII
10-20-2011, 12:59 PM
That's great news Andy!!! Clean them up... set them up in your shop for display while you complete your builds!! A few parts here and there to restore what's out there but you would just dilute the authenticity of your original machines by producing them for Non original machines!

Oh tell me about the lack of 84 cagiva WMX's...I have been looking for a donor motor for extra parts for let say....3 years now!!! Building the cagiva has been one of the toughest builds to date. The motor was just about done two weeks ago and I am now trying to find a few more clips, waiting on a plate from Italy, and missing one more bearing!! This has been years finding this stuff!! I thought I would be picking up the motor and finishing the cagiva around now so a conservative estimate is that it will be done by spring!!

If Andy werent doing this I would be all over collecting and documenting every cagiva bit...Thats why I slacked off my cagiva webpage. No one is more appropriate than Andy for the "Cagiva Mission"

Andy, I also had some materials out for the Tricky Dicks banner again....I havent forgotten about that....20 active builds plus 3 jobs.... things get hectic here:lol:!!

Now with My TIGERS and FRANKS collection stay tuned...its getting pretty wild! I Just hope I can get to show Kelvin Franks a few pictures of what I have going by spring:D

I agree on not diluting the originals.

We'll get those clips. I'm still trying to get everything unboxed so I know what I have. Time is the biggest problem. But once I get into it, I'm going to try to document everything on the restore. Then hopefully, it'll be a little easier for someone to go through one of these. You've done a lot of it already.

I'm excited to see how the banner turns out. I have a big open wall in my shop for one!

Buster Brown
10-22-2011, 05:15 AM
Congrats, Andy! VERY COOL !

I too am :drool: 'n for more pics when you find time...
True, time is half the battle!

Just-Tri-It
10-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Can you still find the bikes that were used to make the racers or are they all gone as well?

HuffieVA
10-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Can you still find the bikes that were used to make the racers or are they all gone as well?
They are few and far between, there wasn't a huge amount of them to start with, and unfortunately parts availability sent many of them to the scrap pile.

Tecate250
10-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Well I think this is going in the wrong way. Yes you may not have time for such adventures but what if no one made those parts that wear out in 3 wheelers? Intake boots, chain sliders, axels, and of course Tecate stators ect? Alot of people have reopened up alot of 3 wheeler help and parts. Make some frames just no serial number. Just my thoughts.

Cagiva Kid
10-23-2011, 08:08 PM
JMO but any part made after the "golden era", when they were originally made, would dilute the product's that are already in circulation. Tricky Dick (Andy) has all of the serial #'s of the original bikes in his records so a 2011 TD Cagiva 200 WMX will not garner the same respect as an original. Anyone that owns one of these bikes realizes how rare they are and probably arent riding them anyway.

HuffieVA
10-23-2011, 08:31 PM
JMO but any part made after the "golden era", when they were originally made, would dilute the product's that are already in circulation. Tricky Dick (Andy) has all of the serial #'s of the original bikes in his records so a 2011 TD Cagiva 200 WMX will not garner the same respect as an original. Anyone that owns one of these bikes realizes how rare they are and probably arent riding them anyway.

You make a valid point, however it it was produced and marketed as reproductions it wouldn't effect the value of the originals, perhaps increase it by bringing more attention to their existence. Take the 32 Ford replicas for example... That being said, I realize the number of true collectors is relatively small and those that would be willing to buy a replica would be even fewer. The decision falls to the one man with the ability to make it and there are positive aspects to both making more and not making more and I respect your decision. But if I happen across a WMX I'm still going to ask again...