PDA

View Full Version : help with my atc

josh89lily11
10-17-2011, 04:56 PM
I just joined 3ww so i hope im posting this in the right place. I just got a honda 1982 185s from my grandfather who had it sitting outside for at least ten or so years. he gave it to me to fix up. so far i put in about $700 on it. I have one big problem. It starts up great and idles great but once i start to increase the throttle it starts to bog down and sputter when i get about have throttle. it has a brand new carburetor, air filter, spark plug, oil,and starter recoil, and a few new body parts and tires. I was told to adjust the valves to .002in so i did but it didnt change. it still does the same thing. when i open the choke even half way it revs up like crazy. i also have the carb to factory specs. i really dont know whats wrong and its really pissing me off. i hope someone has some suggestions.

chuckiedog04
10-17-2011, 05:22 PM
if its a chinese carb sometimes they go to junk

Thorpe
10-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Raise the needle on the slide 1 notch... Sounds like mid range is lean.

muthey
10-17-2011, 06:05 PM
have you sprayed carb cleaner around the intake boot yet? I hear the possibility of a air leak

dougspcs
10-17-2011, 06:14 PM
You put $700 into a ATC185 that spent 10 years outside??

You sure must love your grandpa!!

josh89lily11
10-17-2011, 07:36 PM
I own the atc now. My grandfather said that i could have it if i fixed it up. I have tried moving the needle on all positions.
I do think that its a chinese carb. do i have to order a new one? I haven't used the carb cleaner on the outside of the intake but
i will try it. I will keep you posted
Thanks everyone for your input

dougspcs
10-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Try and find a decent used carb from one of the members here..clean and service it.

I bought a cheapo carb from ebay for my 300 Fourtrax..thought it was better than cleaning up a 20 year old carb. It ran like crap!!!

After about a week I took it off, clean and rebuilt the old one..been running great ever since.

Nubbinz
10-17-2011, 08:18 PM
I bought mine for 600 in good cond and its an 83 which has actual front suspension. And I thought i over payed even when it ran. Id test for a vacuum leak as stated above. sounds to me like its starved for fuel when you rev it up. it takes an insane amount of extra fuel to actually rev it up rather then slow it down. Its giving it not enough which is making it run really hot which speeds up your engine. Or the jets are letting too much fuel thru which is basically like its having the throttle pressed in when it shouldn't run like that. I dont like replacement carbs, Ive never had to "rebuild" one. I just tear them apart spray every inch with carb cleaner and wipe it out with a clean rag, I dont put in new jets springs etc. If gaskets rip I just shoot silicone caulk around where the gasket went. If you got the stock carb just use that and just do what I do, if it runs alot better then you might want to buy a $35 rebuild kit with gaskets springs etc so you know your carb will stay good.

EarlyBronocGuy
10-17-2011, 08:35 PM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/118578-Bike-wont-start-READ-THIS!-Four-Stroke-General-ATV-Troubleshooting-guide

josh89lily11
10-18-2011, 07:24 PM
ok so i took the tube like part off between the carb and manifold and the gasket was in pretty bad shape.
i replaced it and put everything back together and now it wont start at all. i dont know what the hell to do now.
it was running rough before i did that. can it be the way i adjusted the valves? When i adjust the intake valve at
TDC do i have to roll it over halfway to do the exhaust valve or do i do it do it at TDC as well?

swampthang
10-18-2011, 07:29 PM
If you have your engine at TDC both rocker arms should be loose(have play in them) or your not at TDC and you should try rotating the motor again.But both valves should be adjusted at the same time.

MonroeMike
10-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Valve adjustment procedure can be found here.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/126290-ATC185-200-Service-Data

Nubbinz
10-20-2011, 06:55 PM
Did you pour gas down the spark plug hole and spray some carb spray in the carb? I've had carbs go dry and they refused to start. A little splash of gas and it works fine. Heres my rule with Hondas. Don't fix the little things, just run them into the ground. I tried fixing a bunch of smaller stuff on mine and now it wont run. With valves unless there ticking I wouldn't mess with them. They definitely will come unadjusted over the years but to an extent. Do you need to play around with them and risk it not working right again?