PDA

View Full Version : 225dx and KLT 200 Questions

one2hunt
10-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Hello all. Ok so now I bought a really clean 84 Yamaha 225 DX. Everything is there-the plastics shine-the frame, motor, everything looks super clean and original, the forks are straight. But there is a noticable tapping coming from the head. Can someone tell me where to start. I'm waiting on a service manual before I pick up a wrench. Am I looking at valva adjustment, a timing chain issue? Help please.
Next up-my riding buddy scored a KLT 200. It would start and purr but cut off and died when you gave it gas. He put a battery in it and solved that problem. Now it starts and goes pretty good but breaks up when it reaches the upper rpm's in any gear. It's a neat little trike but this issue is causing it to sit while we ride our BR's. I am totally impressed with the knowledge of the mebers of this board and would/do appreciate any direction. My friend thinks it's carb or timing with the Kawi-I think it doesn't have a cover on the airbox or a filter and was wondering if that's where I should start. I really don't know. I'm pretty fair with a wrench but not at diagnostics and I don't want to be the guy that works on a machine forever and never get's it to run. I've picked up a 350x project that I hope to get to one day but it needs the most work and I'd like to gert the rest of the running fleet in proper operational order first.Thanks>CHRIS

muthey
10-17-2011, 01:42 AM
OK now I don't want to misinform you, but I also have a 225dx, and it has been a noisy motor since the day I bought it, the previous owner told me that for the 16 years he owned it even after having the dealer rebuild the top end it was always noisy like that. Now I do recommend you checking the valves and adjusting the timing chain, but if after that and your compression is spot on I wouldn't be afraid to run it. You can always pull the timing cover and check for wear and slack on the chain and sprocket. Does it burn oil any and have you changed the oil oil filter and cleaned the drain screen? Just some thoughts, and I recommend using yamalube 20w 50 in it has helped mine run alot better.

Chazz of Blades
10-17-2011, 03:09 AM
The 225dx that I had was godawful noisy, and the valves were set, timing chain set, everything, and it had no top end trouble. I never figured out what it was. But yes, service manual will be your friend.

one2hunt
10-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Hey thanks. Did the oil change-doesn't burn any. Will try the yamaha oil as I'd like to change the oil twice when I first get it. Now just waiting for the manual. Thanks guys-any ideas on the Kawi?

MonroeMike
10-17-2011, 05:00 PM
http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/ytm200&225-fm200_clymer_manual.pdf

Zuplar
10-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Mine is noisy as well. Most of the noise I hear from mine seems to be from the centrifugal clutch. Mine has never missed a lick and runs strong. It doesn't smoke and has always started up on the first pull.

225DX DUDE
10-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Like said above, check the valves. I had a nasty tap in my 225dx and it was caused by bad valves. My 225drs also had the same problem.