PDA

View Full Version : First Trike - 1981 Honda 200 Barn Find

nas
10-16-2011, 12:36 PM
I bought it from the original owner, tucked away in his pole barn. Hadn't been run in a few years, so she didn't run but was pretty clean and came with a rack and left/right mirrors that thread into the brake levers/handles. No cracks in the plastic, no dents in the tank. So, perhaps not the fabled barn-find that has 5 hours on it and been sitting for 20 years, but still darn nice.

After cleaning the carb and tank, we (my roommate and I) managed to have her up and running by 10 PM the night that I picked her up. She smoked pretty good, but I'm guessing that is from all the crud that has built up over the last few years. I changed the oil out with Valvoline ATV oil, but need to check and perform a lot of the other routine maintenance. Also, the inside of tank has some surface rust that i need to clean out; that is on the schedule for today.

Some things that I have noticed/noted:

1) Takes a few pulls to get her started, and only when applying full-throttle. I expect this to get better as crud gets flushed from the system, and after I have everything adjusted properly.
2) Will not idle. If I take my thumb off the throttle, she will die. Need to adjust.
3) New tires, but they are the dreaded Carlisle Turfbusters. Whatever, they hold air and work for now.
4) Original tools included under the seat :)
5) Love the mirrors. They are useful and totally change the look of the trike.
6) FUN AS HELL!!!

Manns50
10-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Cool post some pics. I have an 81 200 I picked up from a patient of mine (I deliv oxygen and dme) and I had to get it running cleaned the aftermarket tank out and painted some pieces and rebuilt the carb and its shaping up nice! Starts the first pull now. It does help to find one for parts.... I found one with the racks I had sandblasted and powdercoated for it. And mine had a mirror as well,on the one side but was broke off....was thinking about replacing it.

chuckiedog04
10-16-2011, 04:32 PM
i Had a 81 honda 200, it was a sorta barn find. it was in my grandpa's pole barn and i ended up getting it from him not running. i got it running, they are little tanks. go through a lot of stuff a bigger wheeler cant.

nas
10-16-2011, 04:52 PM
Well after playing and wrenching on it today, I have it to the point where she will start on the first or second pull without applying throttle and she idles nicely :) The steel wheels are perfect but dirty, so I am pulling them and cleaning them up, and am going to adjust the chain while I'm at it. "Pickles" is going to be a very nice trike once I am done with her :)

nas
10-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Quick pic...

whipit
10-17-2011, 12:59 PM
hey that thing looks nice

bigworm626
10-17-2011, 01:04 PM
Real nice barn find! Hijo le

D-dub
10-17-2011, 01:16 PM
"Pickles" is going to be a very nice trike once I am done with her

"Pickles"?????:wondering

mullet
10-17-2011, 01:37 PM
yeah...that trike smells like a jar of pickles everytime you fire it up.. don't ask me why?!?!

sp8twn
10-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Nice find!!!!!!