PDA

View Full Version : 86 tri-z silencer recomendation

camaro6te7
10-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Hello everyone,
Just a quick question about a new silencer for my Z. The one that's on it appears to be a Cobra brand,(thats what the sticker says anyway) and it's loud as hell, burnt out probably. Anyway I live out of town about 5 miles but still have about 25 homes in my area so I'm looking for one thats Quiet, but still has great performance. I'm considering a FMF Q Stealth. Anyone have one or have any recomendations? I just want to be able to ride it more without tweaking my neighbors to much.

P.S. any recomended supplyers, I mostly use Dk.

Thanks for any help.

HuffieVA
10-13-2011, 09:23 PM
#1 Tri-Z's are loud by nature (once you get rid of the factory setup)
#2 Try repacking your silencer
#3 If you buy a new one sell me your old aftermarket one...

Your best bet for a new one that is "made to fit" would be a DG they are available from ATV Overstock and occasionally on eBay, Dennis Kirk has very few trike specific parts anymore...

badass350x
10-13-2011, 09:46 PM
No offense HuffieVA, but all the new DG pipes and silencers never line up at the mounting points!! But yes that's about your only choice unless you search for months or even years for a really good silencer on feebay!

camaro6te7
10-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'll try repacking it this weekend.

yamaha driver
10-14-2011, 08:17 AM
agreed with 350x dg pipes are nice but 99% of the time it will never line up with any mounting holes on your machine. i bought 2 already and regret it.

stevensj13
10-14-2011, 09:57 AM
I have the old vintage DG on my Z and other than a little plastic melting on the edges it fits fine. Sounds like a banshee and is loud as hell though

camaro6te7
10-14-2011, 10:13 AM
The one thats on my machine is round, about the size of an energy drink, kinda small but I'm going to repack it and see what happens. I may try the oval one dg says will fit, about 60 through atv wholesale,99 through DK. Thinking a little larger might be a little quieter.

HuffieVA
10-14-2011, 10:54 AM
No offense HuffieVA, but all the new DG pipes and silencers never line up at the mounting points!! But yes that's about your only choice unless you search for months or even years for a really good silencer on feebay!

No offense taken, but since its basically the only thing readily available new, choices are somewhat limited... I have DG's on my Tecates and they fit fine (although the routing of the pipe is simple compared to the Z's) I have one that came with my Z thats been bent to hell and back so to be honest I have no idea how good it fit before hand, but I'm in the market for a new one so unless something nice pops up on eBay by the time I get it back together I guess I may find out... Also to be honest I dont think they make anything any quieter they just lower the tone just enough to keep your ears from bleeding