PDA

View Full Version : Cheap and easy mods to a Big Red

schneed
10-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Last night I decided to snap a few pics of the modifications that a few of us have done to our Big Reds.

1.) Widen the stock foot pegs by adding another stock foot peg. The wider foot pegs make a HUGE difference when riding.
We wielded another peg to the rear part of the existing peg. The wield is on the bottom.
I never paid more than $10/peg.

2.) Replaced stock handlebars with straighter 4-wheeler handlebars.
We have found these handlebars for like $15-20 at a salvage yard, but I've seen new ones for not much more.

3.) Lifted the rear
I saw others had done this before, so we basically just copied what others had done. So far no problems with the drive shaft angle change. Cost was just for some 1.25" angle iron and another nut and bolt.

4.) Added rear disc brake set up. These work so much better the the stock drums (especially when wet)!
Here is pic of the disc wielded to the hub and the caliper wielded the rear axle housing.
Here is the brake handle and reservoir.
This set came from some random 4-wheeler

5.) Last mod I think of right now, is upgrading the tires, though this wasn't cheap nor really a mod, but whatever.
These are 25x11-10 Mud Bugs on rims with 3-6 offset, though next year I'm going 26" tires on the 10" rims or maybe 12". :)

Here was the garage last night, just standard maintenance.

Well, hope that these mods give you guys some ideas (though I'm probably not the first to do some of these).

If you have any Big Red mods, snap some pics and please share!

-Schneed

chuckiedog04
10-12-2011, 05:43 PM
you should lift the front also. nice looking big red, i am thinking of lifting mine once i get some time. ive been busy with school though. Here's mine, i added a winch, some brush guardes, a rear rack deal (the sides of the rack are up higher), and I plan to add a cigarette lighter.

RIDE-RED 250r
10-12-2011, 05:48 PM
I like that footpeg idea! :beer

But sorry, no mods on my Big Red......might do that footpeg deal though!

atc007
10-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Welcome! This would go in Trikesylvania. I Love that disc! Fr caliper? What's the disc from? Any pics of it being built? I love it. These are my favorites! If I ever get back to riding,,I'm trying the pegs!

Stonewall
10-12-2011, 10:41 PM
How about some floorboards? Made these for about $20. They just bolt where the footpegs did, but you have to remove the foot brake.(I never use it anyway...) They are 100x more comfortable than any footpegs could ever be, and the diamondplate provides enough traction that you dont slip off of 'em!
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff507/Stonewall387/My%20New%2085%20Big%20Red/IMG_0112.jpg
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff507/Stonewall387/My%20New%2085%20Big%20Red/IMG_0111.jpg

$10 from Spencer's...:naughty: Probably my favorite mod.:D:
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff507/Stonewall387/My%20New%2085%20Big%20Red/IMG_0126.jpg

schneed
10-13-2011, 11:50 AM
you should lift the front also. nice looking big red, i am thinking of lifting mine once i get some time. ive been busy with school though. Here's mine, i added a winch, some brush guardes, a rear rack deal (the sides of the rack are up higher), and I plan to add a cigarette lighter.

Yea I want to lift the front just haven't had time

I posted some pics on a different thread (I think its called lifted Big Red), showing my buddy's (85BigRed300) BR with a winch on the front also.

Oh and I do have a set of the nerf/brush/sissy bars, but just haven't put it on yet, but I will soon.

schneed
10-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Welcome! This would go in Trikesylvania. I Love that disc! Fr caliper? What's the disc from? Any pics of it being built? I love it. These are my favorites! If I ever get back to riding,,I'm trying the pegs!

So did the thread get moved to Trikesylvania then?

The disc brake set up...

My friend (85BigRed300) had the idea of adding disc brakes to our BRs, so we went to the local atv salvage yard and grabbed a disc, caliper and handle set-up. It didn't matter what it came off of, just that all the components were there and able to fit on the back of our BRs. We did this for four of our BRs. :)

I'll see if I can snap a few pics of the details of the wielding and placement.