PDA

View Full Version : Help, 82 250R head light conversion

Gripit'n'ripit
10-11-2011, 10:54 PM
I know that my head light bulb has two (2) filaments in it, so am I correct to assume that each filament is lit independently, one being high beam and one being low beam.

My question is: are both filaments 12V 60W, and placement/ angle of the filament creates the difference in brightness? Or is there a voltage/ wattage difference between the filaments?

To convert to a dual head light setup would two (2) 12V 35W bulbs in parallel function adequately?

There is a voltage regulator on the harness, how would i wire up the light to use one (1) light for low beam and two (2) lights for high beam? Is it possible? Would i need different wattage/ voltage bulbs?

Would one bulb burning out cause the other to burn out also?

jet
10-23-2011, 05:47 PM
Dual element bulb only uses one filament at a time. One has more resistance, ...less current draw, ...not as bright. If your voltage regulator works properly, at ~12v, then if one bulb blows, that will not effect the other in a parallel circuit. I would be more concerned of drawing too many amps/watts with dual bulbs and buring out the regulator or stator. Worse case, you will have to replace regulator or stator???