PDA

View Full Version : Big red tire chains

CRAZY70MAN
10-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Just ordered these....v-bar 2 link spacing. Should rip up Raffa's ice real good!:lol::lol: Anyone use chains on there plow machines?? I swear by them after last year. http://www.tirechain.com/atv25X12X9.htm

briano
10-10-2011, 09:59 PM
I plow with a yamaha grizzly 660, I put chains on it two years ago, just on the rear. What a world of difference, now I have bigger tires and have to add a few links. I might get tracks for it this year

just ben
10-10-2011, 10:25 PM
back in the day my parents finally decided to buy a quad,after my brother and I convinced them we could plow the drive with it. They went to the dealer asking for the cheapest one we could plow with. we ended up with an 86 trx 125. not much of a plowing machine which I suspect the BR isnt much of one either. we got it with v-bar tire chains which made the difference of pushing an inch of snow to pushing about 4 alone or 6 with two people on it. The chains made a big difference but the problem with them is they didnt stay the way they were put on. meaning the "V's" would turn and end up against the tire rather than the ground.

Thorpe
10-11-2011, 06:33 AM
not much of a plowing machine which I suspect the BR isnt much of one either.

You would be suprised... My BR pushes lots of snow, and I dont run chains...

atc350xer
10-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Get some shoe chains too... for safety! :lol:

CRAZY70MAN
10-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Get some shoe chains too... for safety! :lol: Ya .....we had studded riding boots at the indoor ice race........lol....hell on the concrete though??

fabiodriven
10-11-2011, 08:35 PM
not much of a plowing machine which I suspect the BR isnt much of one either.

Your assumption is incorrect sir. I watched a Big Red push back windrow after windrow last year at Icefest. I also watched Raffa on a 4x4 quad with a plow sliding around uncontrollably hitting the banks at speed just to make a dent. The Big Red was moving a ton of snow. The quad didn't seem to be moving nearly as much.

The Big Red did have tire chains though.

just ben
10-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Your assumption is incorrect sir. I watched a Big Red push back windrow after windrow last year at Icefest. I also watched Raffa on a 4x4 quad with a plow sliding around uncontrollably hitting the banks at speed just to make a dent. The Big Red was moving a ton of snow. The quad didn't seem to be moving nearly as much.

The Big Red did have tire chains though.you said it yourself it had chains. on ice it would make a world of difference compared to no chains. I wasnt saying that a BR couldnt push snow. I just don't think they were meant for that kinda like the trx 125 I had back in the day.It wasnt a power issue it was traction. If my mom got on it to plow it would push alot more. (she's a heavy woman)

fabiodriven
10-11-2011, 09:28 PM
So you're saying a Big Red, Honda's utility trike, with shaft drive, high and low range, 25" tires, and reverse, wasn't made for pushing snow.

just ben
10-11-2011, 09:49 PM
yeah pretty much. just because they sold an implement for it doesnt mean it was meant for it.was your 2wd truck meant for plowing? can you get a plow for it? sure can. back in 84 85 it was probably the best plowing atv you could get. but meant for it? I don't think so, I think it was more of a gimmick to sell them. still cool and wouldn't mind having one but I don't think it would do what I would need it to for clearing snow

fabiodriven
10-11-2011, 10:02 PM
I am going to have to disagree. They seem to move snow quite well. Comparing a Big Red with a TRX125 is just silly. The Big Red is at least twice the size and designed to do many things, such as push snow.

There are plenty of 2 wheel drive dually's that push snow where I live. If they have weight in the back (90% of the time a sander), then they push snow just fine. I see 2 wheel drive dual wheel plow trucks all the time here. I do inspections, and I see plenty. Actually, I just inspected one today.

just ben
10-11-2011, 10:39 PM
you live in mass. thats not snow,thats what we get before it snows.to make you happy, your opinion is right always and anyone elses opinion is just that

Thorpe
10-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Well if the map is what makes snow... NY just gets MN leftovers then...

CRAZY70MAN
10-12-2011, 06:02 AM
lol.....didnt' mean to start an argument.....lol Gotta go with Fabio.....you are mistaken on your view of the BR not being much of a snow pusher.http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo321/andyatc70/th_Picture681.jpg (http://s388.photobucket.com/albums/oo321/andyatc70/?action=view&current=Picture681.jpg) Here was a few feet a while back that fought its way out of. Took me a while but it never lagged or failed. No chains and TRAILPROS....lol... A low range 200es is a very strong little machine and loves to plow..... Now added the chains, weight, winch, studs in front. It lives for the snow. Its is not a 4 wheel drive monster quad but it was also 350.00... lol.... She is read for Icefest once again Fabio. You are welcome to some seat time if you wish....lol http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo321/andyatc70/th_Picture654.jpg (http://s388.photobucket.com/albums/oo321/andyatc70/?action=view&current=Picture654.jpg)

Thorpe
10-12-2011, 06:26 AM
Oh... So thats the trick!?! Using trailpros for weight!!! hahaha

fabiodriven
10-12-2011, 09:18 AM
you live in mass. thats not snow,thats what we get before it snows.to make you happy, your opinion is right always and anyone elses opinion is just that

No need to get your panties in a bunch Ben. This isn't my opinion, this is fact. You're speculating on something you've never seen in person. I'm speaking from experience.

Icefest is in NY and that's where I saw the Big Red in action. For the record we had just as much snow as you last year I'm sure. We consistently had about 3 feet on the ground for over a month.

She is read for Icefest once again Fabio. You are welcome to some seat time if you wish....lol

Thank you Andy, I just may take you up on that!

CRAZY70MAN
10-12-2011, 11:03 PM
No need to get your panties in a bunch Ben. This isn't my opinion, this is fact. You're speculating on something you've never seen in person. I'm speaking from experience.

Icefest is in NY and that's where I saw the Big Red in action. For the record we had just as much snow as you last year I'm sure. We consistently had about 3 feet on the ground for over a month.

Gitt it raaag!!!! Lookin' for exhaust fot the 200 now. Got the chains today!!!!!!!! look out now ......lol lol Snowplow staff

Thank you Andy, I just may take you up on that!

Gitt it raaag!!!! Lookin' for exhaust fot the 200 now. Got the chains today!!!!!!!! look the F#@% out now ......lol lol Snowplow staff

Scratt
10-12-2011, 11:38 PM
I have to make a challenge to someone to make plow through some snow where I live. About 7 foot drifts that stretches for about 50 yards or so I have to pull the tractor out when it gets like that haha.

IronBear
08-28-2015, 02:13 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I need recommendations on tire chains? I'm going to try plowing with the 250SX this year. I'm sure it won't be as good as a Big Red, but I'm going to give it a shot.

CRAZY70MAN
08-30-2015, 11:25 AM
The ones I have I got on ebay. Love em. I like the closer link spacing. more traction obviously. They can be a mess to put on at times..lol World of difference and I plow a lot.... Definitely get the v bar instead of regular chain imo

fabiodriven
08-30-2015, 02:30 PM
That ben6626 was such a pain in the arse.

IronBear
08-31-2015, 10:57 AM
The ones I have I got on ebay. Love em. I like the closer link spacing. more traction obviously. They can be a mess to put on at times..lol World of difference and I plow a lot.... Definitely get the v bar instead of regular chain imo

Thank you for your reply CrazyMan. I'll be sure to look into the v bar chains.

Pete :)

keister
08-31-2015, 12:02 PM
I think I walked into Tractor Supply and bought mine.
Just a word of caution, take a good look at them before and after each use.
Mine tend to move around a bit (on 25" ITP Mud Lites).
If you get your chain hung up in your rear brake parts it can get ugly quickly.

Pro Tip: Leave the air out of your tires, install chains, tighten chains, air up tires.

IronBear
09-01-2015, 10:34 AM
Thanks keister. I may also upgrade my rear tires as well. I heard mud sharks are good tires to plow with, along with the chains.