PDA

View Full Version : new to the 250r world

tecate_gt5
10-09-2011, 09:11 PM
so i have had tecates but never a 250r, the other day i pick one (86) up for cheap. has cool head 19cc, dune port, fmf pipe, 110octane/klots super, stock 250 motor in cc, stock carb with 165rd main 42 pilot and nr146-8 needle 3rdclip position elv 2500ft.

so it rips from bottom to mid then as soon as i open the throttle all the way like to climb to the top of rpm it just sputters. i cant figure it out... ive moved the clip to lean it out ive moved it to fat n it up and same resualt.... bike shop is closed till tuesday before i van get jets... maybe a 155???

also is there anything i should know about like the "250r code of conduct"??? beside you better beat all 4 wheel contraptions hehe:crazy:

yes i plan to ditch the fmf... pending on the $$$ going for the atc5 esr pipe (idk yet if im going to get the center mount) what carb should i switch to?

air box eliminator for atc???

i like the fact that parts are every where!:Bounce:Bounce

falloutboy
10-10-2011, 01:21 AM
at full throttle the clip position won't change anything. that's totally your main jet. go down one size at a time. I know mine wont run for sh!t with a 165, but totally rips with a 162.

RIDE-RED 250r
10-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Dont run the centermount pipe and required airbox eliminator if you do any riding in wet conditions at all. Some may disagree, but IMHO its not a good idea to increase the chances your engine sucks in a gulp of water if you happen to need to get across a mud or water hole.

tecate_gt5
10-10-2011, 07:10 PM
another thing is if i have the stock box an a uni filter what outwears model do i need?

paddles where to get them, who to get them from, and what size? with the hot size of 21x8-7 paddle idk what to get vs 20x8-8 paddle (skat trak haulers)????

i know about as much about a 250r as the the guy over there saying "arnt those things illegal?" what i mean by that is all the lil trick and tips and finicky things of a 250r, things to avoid things that are a must yadda yadda yadda...

last question for the day what clucth to get? tusk ebc or some other brand??? and please dont just say you get what you pay for... list a factual reason why one is more superior thanks.

RIDE-RED 250r
10-10-2011, 07:47 PM
I would assume the UNI filter you are using mounts in the airbox just like the factory unit. Just get an outerwears for your make/model/year and it should fit. Im running a K@N factory replacement filter in my stock box. Just got the Outerwears precleaner listed for '85 250r.

Im running Vesrah clutches in my R along with a Hinson basket and pressure plate. Hinson voids their warantee if any clutch kit is used that has other than natural friction material. In other words, no Barnett Dirt Digger. So far I have about 25hrs on my clutches and everything is working great. I will be tearing her down to do a 350 kit as soon as I sell a sled. Ill check things over with a caliper at that point for a more objective evaluation of my clutch.

As to little idiosyncrasies with the R, nothing is really jumping to the forefront of my mind right now. ( but I do have a splitting headache at the moment) Its pretty much the regular stuff, bearings and whatnot.

A couple things I would make sure and upgrade is the counterblancer carrier and new counterbalancer bearings. The carrier is cast and 25 years old. ESR offers a nice billet unit for something like $35. Totaled up with new bearings and installation of bearings its a little less than a hundred dollar bill to get yourself some bottom end insurance and piece of mind. Old flywheel hubs have been known to fail and can wipe out a stator. So maybe a new Ricky stator light flywheel would be another good piece of mind investment. (still on my to-do list)

Make sure and run a case saver, but Im sure that goes without saying

jb2wheels
10-10-2011, 11:08 PM
My stock 85 r would not rev - like it was loaded up and would not clean out.
I tried everything short of changing the head gasket. Turns out, my stator was bad. The spec in the manual says anything from 50 to 250 ohm is OK. I was told by an expert anything under 200 ohm is suspect. Mine was at 130. I replaced it with one at about 220. Problem solved.

That said - mine was stock except a UNI filter in the stock airbox so jetting was not a problem.

Good luck!

fxnteeth
10-11-2011, 10:22 AM
I had the same problem for like 6 months. From 75%-100% throttle, it sputtered like it was rich. I jetted the main from 150-200 with no change and no difference on the plug chop. So I changed the Stator and the ignition coil. Still no dice. It had a dynatek FS CDI. Changed it out with a ricks CDI and she pulled like a beast from 75%-100. There is no way to test the CDI. It regulates a curve at different RPMS. I found out the hard way. Just a thought if you test the ohms of the stator and the ignition coil, and the main jet is not affecting WOT plug chops.

tecate_gt5
10-11-2011, 11:00 PM
had a 165 main in it put a 160 and it rips now

falloutboy
10-12-2011, 01:48 AM
right on! Glad to hear! :D

tecate_gt5
10-13-2011, 06:32 PM
yep thanks all