PDA

View Full Version : Yam Ytm 200, N and 1 fine, cant find second?

Ehunzeker
10-07-2011, 11:13 AM
First time poster, thanks for help in advance

Just got a YTM 200 about 1984 model given to me. Bad shape, wont start and tires rotten. Had been sitting in a barn for 20 years. Replaced all fuel lines, ungunked the carb. put new tires on it. Fired up took it for the first ride yesterday. Neutral easy to get into, first gear hits really hard when I pull up on shifter. Get up to speed and Pull up to find 2nd and it acts as if it goes into neutral. No grinding or noise. Push back down and it goes back into 1st. I have the Clymer manual, but it is not much help for this issue. Need some guidance before I take it apart as the local Yamaha dealer wont look at it because it is "too old".

Radracer
10-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Did you change the motor oil or check it? Is your idle speed too high, which may make it "jerk" hard into gear.

El Camexican
10-07-2011, 11:27 AM
First time poster, thanks for help in advance

Just got a YTM 200 about 1984 model given to me. Bad shape, wont start and tires rotten. Had been sitting in a barn for 20 years. Replaced all fuel lines, ungunked the carb. put new tires on it. Fired up took it for the first ride yesterday. Neutral easy to get into, first gear hits really hard when I pull up on shifter. Get up to speed and Pull up to find 2nd and it acts as if it goes into neutral. No grinding or noise. Push back down and it goes back into 1st. I have the Clymer manual, but it is not much help for this issue. Need some guidance before I take it apart as the local Yamaha dealer wont look at it because it is "too old".

Before you start taking anything apart take a good look at your entire external shifting assembly. There are a lot of parts that can wear, get loose and bend. Make sure the small arm on the splined shift shaft is tight, etc. If you don't find anything obviouys I would disconnect the linkage and try see if you can get 2nd, by movong the shift shaft directly with the small linkage. Block up the rear so you don't run over your arm, or better yet try it with the engine off. Let us know what you find and we'll go from there.

Ehunzeker
10-07-2011, 11:30 AM
All oil changed, and idle is a little high. Ill tone down the idle and try it tonight. any ideas on the 2nd gear?

muthey
10-07-2011, 11:41 AM
I agree with above try shifting with it of and rear blocked up with the little shaft to see if you can get it to go into second. Did you try to go into third after second missed? Also look all over the shifting mechanisms, I had the protruding splined part of a ytm 200 shift shaft snap off on me once. If everything checks out and you can hit third after it misses second my guess will be a damaged shift fork. Also are you certain on the shift pattern, yamahas go up from neutral, not 1 down and then up, skipping neutral like a bike, or down from neutral like most hondas.

El Camexican
10-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Did you change the motor oil or check it? Is your idle speed too high, which may make it "jerk" hard into gear.

Good point, if the clutch is not set correctly it would "jerk" and/or might make finding 2nd. harder. I don't think the idle speed could do it alone, but it would make things worse.