PDA

View Full Version : 200s spark issues. What am I missing?

rwdriver
10-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Ok, so I just replaced the primary stator coil on my 200s, and now it doesn't put out any voltage. It reads 245ohms, but when you pull it over, no power. What am I missing?

Thanks

tri again
10-07-2011, 02:43 PM
No hits?
200s.?
you mean the stator coil reads 245 ohms? or coil?
Free manuals in the world class help section.

My experience is groundsgroundsgrounds....
frame grounds, wire connections etc.

did it ever run?
I mean, did YOU ever hear it run?
Anything special done before it stopped working?

Some people get so frustrated they'll replace wire harnesses only to admit the old one was prob ok but by simply going thru every godbless'ed connection, they come back to life.

I wish there was a way to use the lighting coil as a backup power source for the ignition, but that's just my own personal
issue.
A built in spare makes perfect sense to me.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

rwdriver
10-08-2011, 08:59 AM
yes, it ran fine until the spark died. the coil was weak, so I replaced it. I am testing the output right at the black/red wire coming from the stator coil, so the only ground that could be bad would be from the stator coil to engine, and it'a hard for me to imagine there being no continuity there. I am assuming that the coil is grounded through the mounts, right?

RIDE-RED 250r
10-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Trigger coil? Thats the little piece thats mounted next to the cam up in the head under the round timing cover. It should test open when away from the trigger on the cam and closed when aligned, or vice-verca. Im not sure which way, but it should switch from open to closed

rwdriver
10-08-2011, 09:50 AM
I don't see how the trigger coil has anything to do with it because I'm not getting 12v from the stator coil.

RIDE-RED 250r
10-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Yep, you are right. I just plain missed that in your original post. Apologies....

tri again
10-08-2011, 02:14 PM
I don't see how the trigger coil has anything to do with it because I'm not getting 12v from the stator coil.

Stator coil might put out AC current by design. rectified to dc by the cdi?
Oh man, I forget but the manual has ohm values and test procedures I just can't remember them all.
That thing under the cover that says 'cdi' wants to read 19-20 ohms if I remember anything.

I was lucky enought to have one dead trike and one working trike sitting right next to each other and the absolute LUXury of being able to swap KnownWorkingParts.!!

didn't help.
Had to go thru every connection on the (stupid) thing and had no idea which exact thing I did to make it work so it Still aggravates me.
even tho &/or because it started working.

Please let us know what you find.

Manns50
10-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Just went thru this on an 81 200. Ended up being a wire broke in the wiring harness but if your testing at the connector with it disconnected check your solder connections and sand the contact points behind the stator also check the wires in the harness from stator where they go thru the aluminum housing.

rwdriver
10-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Ok, I need to fix this issue. I'm getting sick of looking at this thing. let's start at the basics. Should the black/red wire put out 12v intermittently when you pull it over? Right now, the primary coil reads 235ohms with the positive lead in the red/black wire coming out of the crank case, and the negative on the block, but it does not put out any voltage when you pull it over?!

what am I missing?

rwdriver
10-31-2011, 02:20 PM
the bike:

rwdriver
11-01-2011, 09:24 AM
nobody knows?