PDA

View Full Version : Honda 250sx quits randomly(not the gas cap or coil)

jays375
10-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Like stated 86 Honda 250sx quits randomly.It isn't the gas cap or the coil,changed out those.It doesn't run any certain amount of time before it quits.Some times it will fire back up rather quickly.Other times it has to sit a little while.The tank and carb are clean also along with the rest of the fuel system.

Dirtcrasher
10-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Whats the exact plug?

What is the compression?? Will it blow your finger off??

Sounds like it will start. Shut it and fuel off and see if the bowl of the carb has a bowl full of good fresh gas. Gas is a PITA now, buy and run thru your gas every 3 weeks or it will always be an issue. Otherwise use the gas for parts washing or other.......

Gas, spark at the right time and compression and your good.

Analyze the turd and get it figured out. Read and report your results and information.

Your no moron, get your act together!! Yes, I am smiling.................

jays375
10-06-2011, 09:54 PM
This machine is a nice trike.When it runs it,runs like a champ.Was hoping it was just dirty carb or bad gas or cap or even coil.No such luck on that one.So I suspect some sort of other electrical problem.The charging system works just fine and the battery is good.So what electrical items are known to go bad on this old turd.

jays375
10-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Any ideas on this one?

dougspcs
10-11-2011, 04:09 PM
DC asked you specific questions..these were meant to direct you into helping us answer the question.

You go to the doctor and ask him what's wrong with me? He asks you a series of pointed questions to pinpoint the cause..this helps him answer your what's wrong question.

Same logic!!

KC Rider
10-11-2011, 04:40 PM
If this were a car, I'd guess that you had a plugged up fuel filter. Especially if it will start after it cools down a bit. If you have one, I'd replace it.
The next time it happens, remove your air filter and spray some starting fluid into the intake. If it fires, then its a fuel problem, if it doesn't, its an ignition issue. This will give you a place to start.

Dirtcrasher
10-11-2011, 05:39 PM
To all 250 SX guys, they are known to break wires at the CDI on the battery box; You have to unravel the tape and take a look.

I had 6 of these at one point, they all ran. Never had an electrical issue aside from 2 broken wires at the CDI and carb issues were always the "cold start demon" or dirty jets............

The one way clutches fail, water gets in the diff, but otherwise, they don't have many flaws and are fairly bulletproof.

jays375
10-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Thanks Dirtcrasher!I hope that is the problem because electrical stuff drives me nuts.Guess others didn't understand my reply.

dougspcs
10-12-2011, 07:33 AM
I know you said you cleaned the tank..did you remove and clean the petcock?

Mine did something like this and it turned out to be the fine screen on the petcock tube all plugged with 25 years of fine rust particles.

Float bowl would run dry, engine would starve..depending on the level of the ground and how much fuel in the tank, it would take 2-20 minutes for the carb to refill before it started again.