PDA

View Full Version : hi/low gear question.

Aregistereduser
10-06-2011, 08:06 PM
i read on another forum that the hi/low gear lever SHOULD NOT shift "on the fly" (gears 1-5) and SHOULD only shift in neutral but my 84 200es and my (belive 82 110) shift from hi to low and vice versa in any gear. is that bad?

DasUberKraut
10-06-2011, 08:40 PM
I believe it's fine as long as the machine is stationary. I shift mine while in first all the time. Don't quote me on it though.

dougspcs
10-06-2011, 08:40 PM
They recommend switching in 'N' to prevent gear clash in case the engine revs have the clutches engaged..even just a little engagement will make it impossible to shift ranges or grind the gears.

But you can do it if revs are low..

Flossyb20
10-06-2011, 08:42 PM
It's not that you can't, it's that you shouldn't. The hi/low really wasn't designed for it, by shifting on the fly, your not taking any of the engine torque off the gears when doing it. Your regular gears are disengaged by the clutch, but there's no clutch for the submission, hence the need to put it in neutral.

Aregistereduser
10-06-2011, 08:44 PM
thanks! i usually stop and shift, but my 110 will probably need the gears gone through soon anyways the previous owner really tore them up. persume from pulling deer out the woods unresponsibly.

Jon Boy
10-06-2011, 08:45 PM
you can switch them when in gear, it's just not advised. on my 125 i figure as long as i'm not moving i can switch it, but if i'm switching it then 1st gear isn't cutting it so i'm practicly stopped already anyway.