PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the 81 250r

hoosierlogger
10-05-2011, 08:01 PM
I have the opportunity to trade my 84 200x that needs a timing chain and nothing else for a 81 250r. The r needs a seat foam and cover and it has trail pros so it will need new tires. (please refrain from the tired trailpro jokes). It supposedly starts on the first kick and runs great. Plastic has an 8" crack on the rear fender just behind the seat. It was sitting in a barn for 10 years gathering dust.

What is the desirability of the early ones?

Are there any major parts that are a budget buster if they are needed for a re build.

What is the value of a decent rider condition 250r?

My riding style varies widely from puttzing around in the woods to road riding to work 3 miles. I have other trikes to tool around on So i wont be doing any trail riding on it if I get it. Possibly climbing hills, but no leisurely trail rides.

Addicted
10-05-2011, 08:28 PM
I say trade, 81s are pretty hard to find. desirable? Ehhh. look at Airfoolers.com GREAT SITE! You can put awesome old school parts on them like DG head, or 300r kit.Value? Roughly 800-1000, it's of course worth more then you x, Bottom line DO IT!

D-dub
10-05-2011, 08:41 PM
I love 1st gens...they had amazing aftermarket support.

Addicted
10-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Yes^ That's what I was trying to get to o and

Trailpros

hoosierlogger
10-05-2011, 08:46 PM
All I am concerned with is being able to find stock parts to repair it with if it comes down to needing something. I could care less about hopping it up any more than possibly a pipe and reeds.

HA HA nice trailpro joke. LOL

TheRealFatShady
10-05-2011, 08:48 PM
The seat pan may be rusted out, those things are near impossible to find in good shape. New fenders = about 200 bucks, so just know that.

Running, maybe worth about 450 in that shape, or less. In great shape, maybe as much as 1100. The liquid R's were much much desired and as such, pricy. Also I think the 81 R used rear drum brakes??? Then the 82-84 airfoolers used a different disk setup.

hoosierlogger
10-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Yikes Ill pay attention to the seat pan for sure then. Thanks guys keep em coming

D-dub
10-05-2011, 09:03 PM
reproduction seat pans are now readily avail. at Atc Heaven or DC plastics.

thestud25
10-05-2011, 09:27 PM
reproduction seat pans are now readily avail. at Atc Heaven or DC plastics.

That is correct.

OEM parts are a dime a dozen used. And there are still a lot if not all engine parts available brand new. I have a set of mugen rear fenders I may part with for my logging friend, and ddub has a nice mugen motor to go with those. I say do the trade.

hoosierlogger
10-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Dang Jon I am glad I gave you those beers at trikefest LOL. I will have to go to the dudes house and have a look at it first. It might be the most over hyped turd on 3 wheels. Then again it might be exactly what he is telling me it is.

hoosierlogger
10-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Well it was the biggest piece of crap I have seen in a long time. Plastics were trash all sun checked and the crack in the rear fender was bigger than 8" EVERYTHING was rusted. tires were dry rotted, It was supposed to run great. The 110 Would have whooped on it if we had lined them up for a drag race. Oil was leaking out of the transmission, The seat pan was bad rusted. The top end was ready for a rebuild. Just a turd in general.

I just didnt feel comfortable making the trade for something that was misrepresented. It may have been a good rider after I adjusted the carb, but there was still all of the other stuff that was wrong with it.

Any who thanks for the responses.

atc007
10-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Damn shame... they were such an AWESOME piece of our history,,,and SOOOO much fun!!!!!

hoosierlogger
10-07-2011, 05:32 AM
Yeah its a shame. I cant figure out why people over hype their s#!t. Said it ran awesome and looked like it had been ridden for 6 months and then parked.

Looked like it had been ridden for 6 months in hell and parked in the desert for 30 years.

Xpress
10-07-2011, 02:10 PM
You just gotta love people like that. I've ran into a couple like that, so I feel you...

hoosierlogger
10-08-2011, 05:37 AM
I run into them all of the time it seems like.