PDA

View Full Version : Picked up an 83 ATC70 For $100 Tonight Where do I start!

jeepforlife
10-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Drove 60 Miles to Grab this Atc 70 Tonight
Got it for $100.00 but it hasnt ran in years!
So Where Do I start! Its Not Seized up I pull the Cord & its Ready to Fire up-
It will need new Tires, & im sure a bunch of other things-
Im gonna tackle it in the morning Any Tips!132946132947

Addicted
10-04-2011, 08:12 PM
my sat for 6 years in the back yard of my aunts house took me two hours to get running... it ended up the spark plug gap was to big.. remember these motors are SIMPLE. gas/spark/air. they will run.

coolpool
10-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Nice pick up for cheap. Change the oil, install a new sparkplug and clean the air filter. Does it have spark? Check the operation of the throttle and brakes. Check the brake shoes. If the tires are not too bad you could tube them. Personally I consider these a safety item so I'd pick up some new or good used ones. Service the chain and flush out the tank. I'd put money on it the carb may need some attention but you won't know that until it fires. Maybe run some "Seafoam" in your first tank of fuel. If all that checks out, you're in business. The rest is cosmetics. I hate a ripped seat (read wet azz) so I'd do that right away. The rest is just for looks IMO. Good luck.
Oh, and there should be a manual availIable on here. I suggest you become familiar with it. The members on here really appreciate some basic troubleshooting before questions are raised. Just some friendly advice.

Vealmonkey
10-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Download a manual off line. Make sure you know the year of your engine. Some were 3 speeds. Some were 4 speeds that shifted up, some were 4 speeds that shifted down. Front and rear axle bearings, highly recommended. New chain. Regrease your neck bearings. You might want to order a new set of rear brake shoes and make sure you rear brake is properly working and not hanging up. New rear brake cable and new throttle cable. Order 2 or 3 sets of points and condensers and several plugs. Carb rebuild. Exhaust gasket. Heck, gasket kit. That should give you a good start. You may want to order a new stock air filter as well. Fuel line with a couple disposable filters. Also start planning for your 125 lifan engine swap!!! Make sure your backbone to your frame is nich and straight as well as your front forks. Do some clean up and refreshing of the paint. Fenders and seat are up to you. Now get busy. LOL Don't forget the oil change and filter screen cleaning.

ctbale
10-05-2011, 06:06 AM
I always start with the motors, Timing chain tension, clutch adjustment, clean or replace and time the points, valve lash, oil change, clean oil screen, spark plug. And fuel sys like the prev posts. If you can feel compression and it dont smoke too bad, ride the heck out of it!! By the looks of the pics, thats looks pretty darn original, nice find! I have an 83 also. love the 4 speed. I put cheng shin tires on it from bike bandit, cost like $19 ea, spent a bunch of time wire wheeling the rust and painted them, well worth the time.

Swinger
10-05-2011, 06:22 AM
Nice score, Ive been looking for something small for the kids and didnt see that one!!!! If you cant get it running Ill take it off your hands for ya so Santa Claus has time to get it ready, ha ha! Everyone above got the idea and you can tell they have done this before, so listen to them and it will save you some headaches.

fannitti
10-05-2011, 07:34 AM
mine sat for 12 years. i trained the tank and filled it with gas and gave it a few pulls and it fired up smoked a little but cleared up i ran it for a few hours riding changed the oil put 10w40 in it and half a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank to burn anything off in the tank and in the carb. after a while i started stalling took the carb apart found trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro in there that got burned off cleaned that out and has been rinning great every since still same old plug and everything runs great. im not gonna take stuff appart untill i find what motor i wanna do.